Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Jar or You - Who makes your pasta sauces?
Jar 13 18.57%
You 29 41.43%
Jar & You 27 38.57%
Pasta sauce is nasty! 1 1.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 02:47 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,246,925 times

Advertisements

Only me. In fact the gravy (red sauce) & meatballs are simmering in the 12 qt. pot on the stove as I type. I have spent the majority of this week blanching tomatoes from the garden for sauce this winter, and cutting the basil and other herbs & putting them in Food Saver bags in the freezer for winter. We don't do jarred sauces in our Italian home. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 05:08 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,938,945 times
I do it "Sandra Lee" style - semi homemade.

I start with browning ital. saus and gnd bf in olive oil, then set it aside to drain on paper towels while I use the same pan to saute onions and add some minced garlic. I then use those powdered mixes and whisk in flavored tomato paste, tomato sauce and water. I put the onions and garlic back in the pot (same one) and mix it together, stirring in canned flavored chopped tomatoes and a jar of cheap spaghetti sauce. I bring it to a boil, then let it simmer for 15 minutes. I stir the meat back in, turn off the heat and let it sit for 15 minutes or so.

I always make extra to freeze. When I defrost a portion, I add another can of cheap spag sauce before serving. I use this sauce for lasagna and spaghetti pie as well. It's always a big hit and everyone always asks for the recipe.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:52 PM

560 posts, read 849,178 times
Ya know - I've been a positive hater of jarred pasta sauces of any sort, and have always made my own. Now that I've said that... I have to admit that some weird imp on my shoulder made me buy a jar of a brand called Delallo (make lots of different flavors - puttanesca, vodka, garlic, etc. etc.) and I actually REALLY liked it. Weirded me out!

I now keep a couple jars in the pantry for the occasional time when I get home from work really late and still want that flavor, but quickly. (I don't can or freeze my own.)

Old 08-30-2008, 05:54 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,058,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

I like pasta with other quick sautes using olives, capers, tuna, vegetables, sliced sausage, cherry/grape tomatoes, wine, stock, butter, onions, garlic, pepperoni, herbs, spices, etc., etc., etc.

There's really no limit or anything off limits, ya can't go too far wrong if you're usingthings you like and tasting as you go along.
O definitely - look in the fridge/pantry and cook whatever you have - your imagination is the best cookbook!

The Italians have the most amazing range of 'sauces', some are almost dry - breadcrumbs, garlic, lemon and parsley is a fave of mine. Maybe add some fresh green veggies (asparagus, broccoli, peas...) yum

Old 11-30-2008, 07:03 PM

52 posts, read 191,863 times
I married an Italian girl. She uses her grandmother's recipe who was born in Italy. She starts with fresh tomatoes and garlic, basil, oregano and spices. It simmers for hours with meatballs and Italian sausage. She makes a huge pot and freezes the leftovers. Fresh gravy all year round. Yum!

Old 11-30-2008, 07:42 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,225 times
Towards the end of summer at the Farmer's markets you can buy 25 pound boxes of tomatoes for a few dollars; they're the ones with spots, the irregulars and the just plain 'too many'. I did that twice this summer, once with romas and once with just plain old garden tomatoes. I cut them into chunks and roast them for about 40 minutes with some OO and herbs, then into my food mill and lastly into the stock pot where I simmer it down to the right thickness and freeze it. I love the stuff.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:47 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,416,073 times
Never had pasta sauce in a jar so I couldn't say what it taste like. I am Italian (and hubby too) and really don't find it a big deal making gravy (red sauce). Love it

Old 11-30-2008, 08:08 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,409,191 times
I do it both ways... Interesting this thread was at the top of the list, because I just made spaghetti sauce tonight...straight from the jar. I added some meat, veggies, and garlic. I overdid the garlic though!

Old 11-30-2008, 09:57 PM

849 posts, read 1,952,678 times
I make my own too. Easy with pressure cooker. I love spaghetti, if I wasn't already married, I'd marry spaghetti.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:16 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,344,730 times
Most of the time I make my own. My family likes Sunday Gravy. However, during the week when there is little time, I use either Rao's or Raggazzo and they are both very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink