Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 03:29 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,314 times

Advertisements

I'm not talk'n fresh as in " got it at the store and it said fresh". I'm talk'n fresh as in you go cut the herbs, veggies, what ever in the back yard type of fresh.

What a difference it makes, yes? Anyone else notice? What do you use?

I use tomatoe, corn on the cob, potatoes, oninons, chives, rosemary, thyme, parsley, and licorice taste'n stuff... to name a few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 03:32 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
When I can I grow it all fresh. Including eggs. One day soon I hope even beef and maybe pork. And I like to catch my own fish too. Yep, I like it all fresh. There is something very satisfying about being self sufficient.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:53 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
It really does taste best. Man, I miss my garden (not the work, just the rewards!).

Old 08-25-2008, 05:04 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Fresh is best.
No getting around it.
It's the most important quality.
At different times of my life, there have been different fresh ingredients that I have enjoyed.
Chicken, eggs, vegies etc. It was pretty fun finding eggs, our neighbors' chickens would leave them in the funniest spots, it was like Easter.
I've always strived to grow my own herbs, long before it became trendy.
I am growing parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, basil, marjoram, oregano, thai cilantro, lemon grass, chives etc etc.
At times in my life I've made my own yogurt and fresh mozzarella. But not anymore. Maybe again sometime, when I retire.
Right now, I am growing my own herbs, tomatoes and peppers. And I do have a weekly farmer's market. We can get some really good dairy.
Best of all, where we live, the seafood is FRESH-CAUGHT.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:19 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,044 times
Yes, as much as I can. All of my herbs are right out the door off the kitchen. I cut them and save them for winter in vacuum sealed food saver bags. We have a large vegetable garden and blanch them for winter. Where we live we are not allowed to have livestock however, I go to the pork store where they do and get my fresh pork from the. Organic as much as possible. We will be getting a Fresh Market in a couple of months, we are really looking forward to that, and we shop locally at the farmer's market. We get our fish when we can off the boat. Oh can you taste the difference. One thing we have never skimped on is our food, it goes into our body.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:19 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
We use ingredients that are as fresh as we can manage them, because there is such an amazing difference in the flavor of the food. With two busy professionals and a small, not very sunny yard, there's a limit to how much we can grow ourselves, but we're fortunate to live in a community that has one of the best Farmers' Markets in the country (no exaggeration) and we shop there every single week for fresh produce and meats. There is simply NO comparison to grocery store foods.

Aside from the flavor, I think it's better stewardship of the earth to eat as much as possible of food that originates within 100 miles or so of my kitchen table. Yes, I may be able to buy asparagus in January, but thinking about the cost in terms of fuel to get it to my table from Argentina or wherever just ruins my appetite.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:03 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,668,096 times
We raised fresh peas, butterbeans, squash, okra and tomatoes this year. I have put up a bunch of food in the freezer and canned as well.

I am lucky also that I live close to a Farmer's Market and can get fresh produce till very late in the season.

Not grown any herbs but my son and his girlfriend do and can get fresh herbs from them. They also had some strawberries this year.

We can also get fresh eggs from neighbors who sell them each week. IF we can find time, we are going to build a new chicken coop and have chickens once again, it is hard though with wild animals who prey on them.

There is a new butcher in town and I am going to try them out for organic meats.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:10 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,694 times
Let's just say that I'm trying. My goals lean more toward being a localvore, but the freshness aspect lines up very well with that (at least in the summer).

This is a new lifestyle for me though, within the past few months actually but I am really enjoying it. The farmer's markets are now a huge part of my food budget. All my beef is grass fed, all my chickens and eggs are pastured, and I'm cooking with the seasons - but I'd really like to get into production; from my own garden to joining a co-op.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:24 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,878 times
I would love to grow my own herbs, but so far every plant I look at withers and dies. (sometimes the plastic ones as well... )

We have a very small Farmer's Market that I've only seen for a couple times a year. Unfortunately they charge an arm and a leg and they are usually operating while I'm at work.

Maybe I should try one of those little herb greenhouses I see sold at Wlamart for kids..... I might get that to live for longer than a couple of days.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:58 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,950,131 times
Because I live in the deserts of west Texas, and my house is built in an old (very old) river bed, that leaves a lot of clay for soil. So, it's almost impossible for me to grow anything (unless I put a lot of time and effort into digging out the ground, and bringing in some dirt). But then I still have to deal with the heat and lack of water/moisture.

But, I use what I consider fresh ingredients when I cook. By that I mean I buy whole mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, and other vegetables. We determine the menu one week at a time, then buy the ingredients we need. I then do all the slicing/chopping/grating (cheese) etc. myself. So, my spaghetti sauce uses fresh onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, and garlic (but I do buy the tomato sauce and paste instead of making it myself). I just think when you use fresh ingredients, it really does enhance the flavor of the sauce. Then again, it could be all mental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink