Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 05:34 PM

16,233 posts, read 27,286,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Is it one of the Excellence bars? I don't like the bagged chocolates. We eat little sugar so those seem much too sweet.
I have seen the Excellence bars - they have that in 85% cacao also....but I haven't tried that one in the states. For whatever reason, the stuff manufactured under license doesn't ever taste like the original. I found a photo online of what the bar looks like:

http://www.schokolade-blog.de/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/lindt-edelbitter-mousse-blaubeer-lavendel.jpg (broken link)

It's blueberry/lavender flavored - they have lots of flavored chocolates in europe....aside from orange, raspberry, and other traditional flavors they also have one with chili. Now that's an experience like no other!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 08:34 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,030,941 times
As a European I find the chocolate over here does taste different, and Hershey's...well it doesn't taste like chocolate to me, so I'd say it's overrated - especially the Kisses...eeew! But it's a personal taste thing.

The best....I love Green & Black's chocolate - Maya Gold is faaaabulous. Dark, but not too dark, hint of spice .... ooooo Montezuma!

and it's organic and Fair Trade

Green & black's - Maya Gold (http://www.greenandblacks.com/us/productdetails.php?pageid=50&cid=18&pid=61 - broken link)

Old 09-12-2008, 11:03 PM

47 posts, read 106,249 times
Snickers section of carmel and peanuts taste a bit like Goldenburgs Peanut Chew. That's why I like snickers. Seriousely but unfortunetly I broke a front tooth that had just had a root canal done. It busted right off at gum level from eating a frozen snickers bar, (like biting a crow bar.)
I have to eat candy bars because I am in Thailand and the food here is just not so good. The dentists are good here and the root canal cost was only $80 compared to $1500 back in the U.S.
Almost all of the candy bars mentioned are available here.

Hershey chocolate bars (except Mr. Goodbar) are over rated. They taste like wax.

I like to have a little candy on hand, and so I visit a store with a candy department once in a while.
Most likely I will walk out with these:
Mounds bar (under rated)
Payday (under rated)
Nutrageous Bar (under rated)
Reeses Peanut Butter Cups
Kit Kat
Lindt 70% cocao (best dark chocolate)

I think Mars Bar (the special one with white nougat and almonds) is under rated.
But the popular Milky Way and Snickers are over rated.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:45 AM

259,023 posts, read 90,230,756 times
I must be easy pleased. I don't eat many chocolate bars. Most of my chocolate is in the form of fudge or pudding. For bars I eat more Hershey bars with almonds than anything else. They work for me. I try others from time to time but keep coming back to those. I just like milk chocolate period. Fits the size of my sweet tooth.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:21 AM

6,613 posts, read 13,457,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
It's blueberry/lavender flavored - they have lots of flavored chocolates in europe....aside from orange, raspberry, and other traditional flavors they also have one with chili. Now that's an experience like no other!
I'm not so sure about chili. I like chocolate in chili but chili in chocolate....I dunno! Raspberry sounds delicious!

We pick up one bar of Green & Black's at the health food store. It's 100 miles from here so it's a big treat once in a while. I'm struggling with diabetes so a taste is fine but a bar is out. I can stretch a bar to enjoy a lonnnnng time.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:57 AM

21 posts, read 39,063 times
Overrated: I can't really think of one at this time
Underrated would be the Zero bar; luv luv it.
I guess i like them all because i use so many in a bunch of my dessert recipes.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:00 AM

21 posts, read 39,063 times
LOL!! I fell on my face(practically) an dbusted a couple of front teeth. My dentist did an awesome job fixing them. But the first thing he said to stay away from was the frozen snicker bars. Sorry for your problem

Old 09-13-2008, 01:28 PM

34,118 posts, read 18,364,781 times
Underated:

Bonomo's Turkish Taffy

Overated:

Three Musketeers
Milky Way

Old 09-13-2008, 01:53 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,920,466 times
Underrated: Take5

Overrated: 3 Muskeeters, Nestle Crunch

Old 09-13-2008, 02:51 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,890,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

Underrated:....
Reese's
ooo can we say a perfect couple
I differ. Not because it isn't good--it is soooo good, but it isn't underrated. It's out there everywhere and most people know and love them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
....underrated: Ritter Sport dark chocolate with whole hazelnuts, Lindt 70% cacao, Raffaelo...not technically true chocolate, or a bar, but I digress....basically, any chocolate with less than 70% cacao is not really chocolate to me.
Oh, I love, love, love Ritter Sport bars! Heaven. I use to work at a store that sold them, a store which we could charge to our account. Oh, it was bad! I gained so much weight toward the end (there are over 2 servings in each package). I'm so happy Target is selling them now.

You are right on the American chocolate. After eating only Ritter Sports and other European chocolate, I couldn't eat a regular candy bar. Unfortunately, I trained myself out of that one!

The biggest overrated for me is Hersheys. And Three Musketeers. And Milky Way.

I do really like Snickers. Don't know why, just do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink