Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2015, 07:47 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,670,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
That sounds awesome. It is pretty close to what we New Englanders called American Chop Suey, except for the chili powder.

I have a friend on another forum, who changed the recipe right from the start. she didn't make it per the recipe I posted. Then...she comes back and says it was terrible. I wasn't sure what to tell her after that. I always make a recipe as stated first...then make changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post
My comfort food, which I'll have maybe once a year...

Hamburger Gravy over Mashed Potatoes:
1-2 lbs of of Hamburger
1/4 cup or less of flour
1 quart of milk
Salt and Pepper
Potatoes

Brown hamburger, mixing in the flour as the hamburger is cooking until lightly coated. Pour in half of the milk, sauce will thicken. Continue to add milk until you reach the desired consistency of gravy.

Pour over a giant plateful of mashed potatoes and top with butter.
I grew up eating hamburger gravy...but my husband usually won't touch a gravy.
Bummer.
No hamburger gravy.
No sausage gravy.
No biscuits and gravy

Old 12-02-2015, 07:49 AM

50,086 posts, read 63,455,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post
My comfort food, which I'll have maybe once a year...

Hamburger Gravy over Mashed Potatoes:
1-2 lbs of of Hamburger
1/4 cup or less of flour
1 quart of milk
Salt and Pepper
Potatoes

Brown hamburger, mixing in the flour as the hamburger is cooking until lightly coated. Pour in half of the milk, sauce will thicken. Continue to add milk until you reach the desired consistency of gravy.

Pour over a giant plateful of mashed potatoes and top with butter.
Oh, I would adore that! It screams for canned green beans, too.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:31 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,434,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
I grew up eating hamburger gravy...but my husband usually won't touch a gravy.
Bummer.
No hamburger gravy.
No sausage gravy.
No biscuits and gravy
No BISCUITS AND GRAVY? No! NO! NO, NO, NO!!! THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!!!!

You, moxiegal, are to come to kind of Chicago where I am and go out with me for breakfast. I will take you to Billy's where they have the BEST biscuits and sausage gravy - and I will treat! No biscuits and sausage gravy?? I think it might even be illegal.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
No BISCUITS AND GRAVY? No! NO! NO, NO, NO!!! THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!!!!

You, moxiegal, are to come to kind of Chicago where I am and go out with me for breakfast. I will take you to Billy's where they have the BEST biscuits and sausage gravy - and I will treat! No biscuits and sausage gravy?? I think it might even be illegal.

I make me some once in a while...but must be vewwie vewwie careful. I will eat it....ALL!!!

and the man...my husband....is from West Virginia too

Old 12-02-2015, 08:42 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,434,034 times
Oh yeah. Simple comfort food/diner food recipe. Sorry - I was too filled with outrage for moxiegal - I forgot why I was here.

CHIPPED BEEF
3 T Butter
3 T Flour
2 C Milk
Chopped Onion
2 2 oz. packages Buddig Original Beef
Toast

Cut up the beef with scissors into small pieces. Chop up the onion. Melt butter in a skillet, and saute onions and beef pieces until onions are transparent. Add in flour, gradually stir in milk taking care not to make lumps (I use a spoon - otherwise the beef and onion pieces get trapped in the whisk) and stir constantly until it is thick. ( If you like a thinner white sauce, use 2 T butter and 2 T flour.) Salt and pepper to taste - I always salt last because I use salted butter and the Buddig beef is salty, so it may not need it. Serve over toast.

PS - moxiegal, he may not be from West Virginia - my husband is like yours and won't eat B&G either - I think people like that are from faraway distant dysfunctional strange and spooky planets that don't have good B&G - and they are a scary people. Well, at least MINE is.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:51 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,111,084 times
I make cabbage, bacon and egg noodles.
1 medium sz cabbage
2+ lbs bacon
2 1lb pkg egg noodles

Brown bacon in large skillet...remove bacon...leave grease in pan.
Add sliced cabbage...saute til limp in the same pan with bacon grease. I add black pepper to taste...and I add a couple shakes of celery salt
add cooked noodles, stir in broken bacon chunks.
let simmer and fold all ings again.
serve alone.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:52 AM

haha..thanks Missy2u. I am consoling myself with some leftover Johnny Marzetti

I also eat other weird..make that "weird" foods. Broccoli, gumbo, stewed okra, cheeseburgers...I know right? Ima alien

Old 12-02-2015, 09:23 AM

50,086 posts, read 63,455,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
Oh yeah. Simple comfort food/diner food recipe. Sorry - I was too filled with outrage for moxiegal - I forgot why I was here.

CHIPPED BEEF
3 T Butter
3 T Flour
2 C Milk
Chopped Onion
2 2 oz. packages Buddig Original Beef
Toast

Cut up the beef with scissors into small pieces. Chop up the onion. Melt butter in a skillet, and saute onions and beef pieces until onions are transparent. Add in flour, gradually stir in milk taking care not to make lumps (I use a spoon - otherwise the beef and onion pieces get trapped in the whisk) and stir constantly until it is thick. ( If you like a thinner white sauce, use 2 T butter and 2 T flour.) Salt and pepper to taste - I always salt last because I use salted butter and the Buddig beef is salty, so it may not need it. Serve over toast.

PS - moxiegal, he may not be from West Virginia - my husband is like yours and won't eat B&G either - I think people like that are from faraway distant dysfunctional strange and spooky planets that don't have good B&G - and they are a scary people. Well, at least MINE is.
I used to love that as a kid, but totally forgot about it. I used to make it once and awhile, but I always rinse the dried beef in hot water first to get rid of some salt. I like it over toast.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:24 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,393,461 times
Buggered Hamburger

This is my Great Grandmother's recipie I even still make it in the same oblong cast aluminum pot she used..
I have no idea where the recipie originally came from or the name, it's a requested dinner when visiting relatives come...

1 diced yellow onion.
1 pound of ground beef.
2 cans of cambells tomato soup.
1 soup can of water.
1 small can tomato paste.
Dash of dried oregano.
Dash of grated parmesan.

Sauté onions and ground beef until browned, drain off excess fat..
Add soup and paste, rinse soup cans each with a half can of water.
Add the oregano and grated parmesan, a bit of S&P.
Cover and simmer for awhile, an hour or so..

Serve over mashed potatoes and top with a scoop of canned peas..
The peas are optional, I dislike canned any vegi and hate cooked peas but for some reason this just works..

I've also never made this small amount and normally double or even triple this basic recipie..
Leftovers are served over elbow macaroni which my Grandmother affectionately called slops...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink