Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2015, 03:28 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
What?!?! I'm surprised to see the words "packages" and "jars" in one of your recipes.
Yeah I know but this is one of maybe 5 recipes I have that I will use a jar, can or packaged mix otherwise it's from scratch oh and pie crust I don't make that from scratch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 07:56 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
I like meat loaf, if it's good. And good meat loaf always has panade, which is just bread soaked in milk, the milk squeezed out before the bread is added to the meat loaf mixture.

I hardly ever make meat loaf exactly the same way twice, but I almost always use 7% fat ground turkey; one red onion that's been sauteed until soft, then cooled; the panade; beaten egg; and lots of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano. I serve this with a tomato sauce of some sort. It usually is a matter of what I have on hand, but a simple tomato sauce that starts with diced carrot and celery and ends with chopped basil is nice. It also works with Marcella Hazan's tomato-butter-onion sauce.

Essential: I bake it freeform on a sheet pan. I never, ever use a loaf pan, which steams it.

I serve this with mashed potatoes, usually gold or yellow, with some combination of cream, butter, Parmigiano-Reggiano (I skip this if it's in the meat loaf), and a good amount of S&P. Also, green beans, fresh, steamed, tossed either in butter, S&P, or EVOO, garlic, and vinegar. I cook them longer than a lot of people. I like my green beans toothsome, but I hate crunch.

I also do a version of meatloaf in which I use ancho/chipotle ketchup. I keep a bowl of ketchup in the fridge into which I've mixed ground ancho and chipotle, which I buy from Penzey. I brush a substantial layer on my meatloaf when it has about 20 more minutes to cook.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:02 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
I also like a roast chicken instead of the meat loaf. Same sides. Practically everything is better with mashed potatoes and real green beans.

Last edited by jay5835; 12-17-2015 at 08:14 PM..

Old 12-18-2015, 08:20 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
I grate day old biscuits into my meatloaf mix instead of breadcrumbs etc. I also always use the three ground meats mix from the butcher; pork, veal and beef.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:05 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Essential: I bake it freeform on a sheet pan. I never, ever use a loaf pan, which steams it.
Or boils it. I stopped using a loaf pan years ago.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:27 PM

Tortellini soup

4 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped onions
2 cloves chopped garlic
2 packages of cheese tortellini

Sauté onions, garlic and carrots until tender. Add broth and bay leaf. Bring to a boil then add tortellini and cook according to package directions. Can't get any simpler than that.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:48 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,758,897 times
Your Swedish Meatballs are gooooooooooood!!!! Lookin' forward to 'em!!

Old 12-19-2015, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
Your Swedish Meatballs are gooooooooooood!!!! Lookin' forward to 'em!!
Thanks!!!

Old 12-19-2015, 11:57 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I like meat loaf, if it's good. And good meat loaf always has panade, which is just bread soaked in milk, the milk squeezed out before the bread is added to the meat loaf mixture.

I hardly ever make meat loaf exactly the same way twice, but I almost always use 7% fat ground turkey; one red onion that's been sauteed until soft, then cooled; the panade; beaten egg; and lots of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano. I serve this with a tomato sauce of some sort. It usually is a matter of what I have on hand, but a simple tomato sauce that starts with diced carrot and celery and ends with chopped basil is nice. It also works with Marcella Hazan's tomato-butter-onion sauce.

I serve this with mashed potatoes, usually gold or yellow, with some combination of cream, butter, Parmigiano-Reggiano (I skip this if it's in the meat loaf), and a good amount of S&P. Also, green beans, fresh, steamed, tossed either in butter, S&P, or EVOO, garlic, and vinegar. I cook them longer than a lot of people. I like my green beans toothsome, but I hate crunch.

I also do a version of meatloaf in which I use ancho/chipotle ketchup. I keep a bowl of ketchup in the fridge into which I've mixed ground ancho and chipotle, which I buy from Penzey. I brush a substantial layer on my meatloaf when it has about 20 more minutes to cook.
I use the wonderful meat loaf pans from Miles Whatsit, the mail order place. They are more shallow than most , nonstick and have HOLES in the bottom to drain the fat. The loaf comes out with a wonderful light crust. They're great. We love meatloaf especially for sandwiches (with mustard of course.)

Old 12-19-2015, 12:05 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,675,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
Oh yeah. Simple comfort food/diner food recipe. Sorry - I was too filled with outrage for moxiegal - I forgot why I was here.

CHIPPED BEEF
3 T Butter
3 T Flour
2 C Milk
Chopped Onion
2 2 oz. packages Buddig Original Beef
Toast

Cut up the beef with scissors into small pieces. Chop up the onion. Melt butter in a skillet, and saute onions and beef pieces until onions are transparent. Add in flour, gradually stir in milk taking care not to make lumps (I use a spoon - otherwise the beef and onion pieces get trapped in the whisk) and stir constantly until it is thick. ( If you like a thinner white sauce, use 2 T butter and 2 T flour.) Salt and pepper to taste - I always salt last because I use salted butter and the Buddig beef is salty, so it may not need it. Serve over toast.
That was a staple in my family. We usually had it for dinner at least a couple times a month.
It was not until I joined the Navy that I ever saw it for Breakfast, or heard the more derogatory SoS name for it. There is a diner in town here that makes it a breakfast-Lunch Special once a week, but you gotta be there early, before it runs out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink