Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 02:25 PM

938 posts, read 3,505,260 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to make homemade bread for awhile now. While I've gotten some great tasting bread, I can't get it to rise up right. Every time the loaves are pretty dense and don't have all the little air pockets like you see in storebought or other homemade bread I've had from more experienced bakers. I'm not sure what I've been doing wrong. I don't have a mixer, so I mix everything together first with a wooden spoon, then start mixing with my hands and typically knead the dough for about 10 minutes by hand on a plastic cutting board. The last recipe I tried is this one: Honey Whole Wheat Bread | The Fresh Loaf

The first time around I tried it it seemed to rise up pretty good, but I shaped the dough into 2 loaves and put them in the bread pans, which seemed to shrink them and they didn't rise up much at all. I tried again but ran out of honey and used maybe 1 tablespoon less than the recipe asked for, and it didn't rise much at all. Other than that, I followed each recipe exactly.

The other recipe I'd been using was a half whole wheat/half white flour oatmeal bread recipe from one of my sports nutrition books (the reason I started cooking in the first place). It recommended adding in boiling water in with the oatmeal and whole wheat flour, then adding in a yeast mixture that had been started in water with sugar. I think I wasn't waiting long enough before adding the yeast, and the flour/water mixture was still too hot and deactivated the yeast.

So, I'd really like some suggestions on how to make some good bread, or some recipes for whole wheat bread that may be a little easier to make. I've also been adding 1.5 teaspoons of gluten to the whole wheat flour to make it easier to knead, if that makes a difference. The bread tastes great every time, but the loaves are tiny and the texture just isn't right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 03:20 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,256,282 times
Welcome, OA. Wow. OK, you need to make sure your yeast is active, first of all. That could be your problem. Or the liquid you're putting it in is either too hot or too cool. There are usually a couple of different risings - are you letting the bread sit in a warm, dry location long enough? After the first rising, you usually have to punch it down, knead it, put it in the pans and then let it rise again. Are you doing that?

I haven't made bread in a long time, but I know those are some must do's to get the bread to rise. Best of luck - there's nothing like making home made bread and having it come out right.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:20 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,807 times
In my experience of bread-making, too hot is worse than too cool. Most homes are warm enough for bread to rise - if you are warm enough to sit around without a sweater on, it's warm enough for yeast to work.

I warm the flour in the microwave, warm the bowl with hot water, and use warm (not hot) water to mix. Then put somewhere warm enough, not cold of course, but not in direct sources of heat, just at room temp. It may take longer to rise but it won't kill the yeast. Keep experimenting!

Old 09-20-2008, 05:56 PM

938 posts, read 3,505,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Welcome, OA. Wow. OK, you need to make sure your yeast is active, first of all. That could be your problem. Or the liquid you're putting it in is either too hot or too cool. There are usually a couple of different risings - are you letting the bread sit in a warm, dry location long enough? After the first rising, you usually have to punch it down, knead it, put it in the pans and then let it rise again. Are you doing that?

I haven't made bread in a long time, but I know those are some must do's to get the bread to rise. Best of luck - there's nothing like making home made bread and having it come out right.
I've been leaving the bread out on the counter. Its around 78 degrees in my house with the AC on. The first time I made the recipe I posted I did let it rise as a ball of dough, and then molded it in to loaves. It had risen up pretty good before that, but the loaves didn't rise much at all after 90 minutes of sitting out. I didn't knead it anymore though, I just shaped them into loaf shapes.

I may try it again with enough honey and let it rise some more after kneading. Also, I've been using Instant Yeast (kept in the fridge), but I also have some normal bread yeast (in the fridge too) that I can use. What is the difference between the two?

Moderator cut: cut

Last edited by Beretta; 09-20-2008 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: deleted your response to a previous post that was deleted (off-topic)

Old 09-20-2008, 05:59 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,100 times
Whatever kind of yeast you use, be sure to check the expiration date on the package, even if you keep it in the fridge. Yeast is nearly worthless after its expiration date, as we've learned to our cost. That's one of the few things that we buy only when we're going to use it, as opposed to keeping a supply on hand, and we always check the date before we buy.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:52 PM

431 posts, read 1,202,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OA 5599 View Post
I've been trying to make homemade bread for awhile now. While I've gotten some great tasting bread, I can't get it to rise up right.

It may be the temperature you have indoors. Dough need a warm place to raise. I like to warm up the stove to the lowest temperature on the button (200 F?) for few minutes. Then place the dough in a buttered or oiled large bowl, lightly coat the dough with grease as well. Then cover and place in the warm stove for about 30 minutes or until it doubles in volume.

Every time the loaves are pretty dense and don't have all the little air pockets like you see in storebought or other homemade bread I've had from more experienced bakers. I'm not sure what I've been doing wrong.

Breads tend to be dense when you used too much flour. A perfect dough needs to be as soft as your cheek or ear lobe. If it is too hard to knead it needs water a spoon at a time. Or if it is too soft then need flour a spoon at a time until feels good to your hand. Even if I let the machine do the job for me I still watch it and make sure it has all it needs to come out a nice, soft, silky to touch dough.

I don't have a mixer, so I mix everything together first with a wooden spoon, then start mixing with my hands and typically knead the dough for about 10 minutes by hand on a plastic cutting board. The last recipe I tried is this one: Honey Whole Wheat Bread | The Fresh Loaf

Bread dough kneaded by hand needs at least 20 minutes kneading to get to the perfect elasticity and to activate the gluten and the yeast. It would help you big time if you had a bread machine to do the job for you. I have two and use them just to knead the dough for me.

The first time around I tried it it seemed to rise up pretty good, but I shaped the dough into 2 loaves and put them in the bread pans, which seemed to shrink them and they didn't rise up much at all. I tried again but ran out of honey and used maybe 1 tablespoon less than the recipe asked for, and it didn't rise much at all. Other than that, I followed each recipe exactly.

The loaf pans should only be filled the most half way. Then I keep them in warm place just like the first proofing, when bread reach the top of the pan is ready to bake. While proofing I like to spray the loaves with water. This helps the rising and prevent the dough to build crust.

The other recipe I'd been using was a half whole wheat/half white flour oatmeal bread recipe from one of my sports nutrition books (the reason I started cooking in the first place). It recommended adding in boiling water in with the oatmeal and whole wheat flour, then adding in a yeast mixture that had been started in water with sugar. I think I wasn't waiting long enough before adding the yeast, and the flour/water mixture was still too hot and deactivated the yeast.

Yes, you made the mistake to add the yeast too soon. Yeast does not respond well to shocks hot/cold. That's way most recipe request ingredients to be at room temperature before starting. Temperature should be pleasantly warm to your finger, if your finger can't stand in the hot mixture more than 15 seconds then it is too hot.

So, I'd really like some suggestions on how to make some good bread, or some recipes for whole wheat bread that may be a little easier to make. I've also been adding 1.5 teaspoons of gluten to the whole wheat flour to make it easier to knead, if that makes a difference. The bread tastes great every time, but the loaves are tiny and the texture just isn't right.

Whole Wheat breads are a bit difficult to make at home, but I found out that if the dough is on the softer side it will have a better texture and will rise easier. And would be better to use a mix of flours.
I bake breads all the time, and dough is my best friend. These are few of the breads I usualy make:

Braided White Bread
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn79/Cuisinette/Bread/BraidedBread2.jpg (broken link)

Tomato, Olive oil and Basil Bread
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn79/Cuisinette/Bread/BraidedBread3.jpg (broken link)

Whole Wheat Bread
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn79/Cuisinette/Bread/Breads1.jpg (broken link)

Potato Dough Bread
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn79/Cuisinette/Bread/Breads3.jpg (broken link)

Miracle Bread
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn79/Cuisinette/Bread/Breads4.jpg (broken link)

Dinner Rolls
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn79/Cuisinette/Bread/DinnerRolls1.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-20-2008, 10:06 PM

424 posts, read 1,675,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuisinette View Post
I bake breads all the time, and dough is my best friend. These are few of the breads I usualy make:

Braided White Bread

Tomato, Olive oil and Basil Bread

Whole Wheat Bread

Potato Dough Bread

Miracle Bread

Dinner Rolls
Cuisinette, those are lovely loaves!

Old 09-20-2008, 10:21 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,407,849 times
I'm drooling right now at your photos, Cuisinette!

Old 09-20-2008, 10:41 PM

431 posts, read 1,202,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhead View Post
Cuisinette, those are lovely loaves!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1986 View Post
I'm drooling right now at your photos, Cuisinette!
Thank you, I love playing with the dough, mainly because I never had play dough when I was a child

I've watched my grandmother baking many times and I know what it need to be done and how.

She had this game with me, she would talk not with me but with whatever she was doing, so I can register. Now I remember every word and advice she said. Or she would take my hand and she would place it in the dough and let me feel it.

I can feel right now the texture of the Christmas Bread dough and the aroma floating about.

The wood was cracking, burning in the stove, and the snow was feet high outside, I know because I loved to stick my little nose to the cold glass watching my grandpa out and about to feed the poor animals... but before we started we had to cover every crack at the doors and windows so no cold air would affect the dough, that was fun too
And it was nice an cozy inside, and we had everything ready at room temperature. She used a wooden thing like this one: http://lh3.ggpht.com/_4dhMnege_pE/Rtauvm9GhXI/AAAAAAAAByQ/lJDhnrPktxA/IMG_4617.jpg (broken link) , the thing was bigger than me, and she used 20 lb of flour at one time... making lots of sweet breads for the carolers

Oh, what wonderful memories. At times I wish I can turn time back so I can hug her one more time, and thank her for the "gift" she gave me

Old 09-20-2008, 11:06 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,407,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuisinette View Post
Thank you, I love playing with the dough, mainly because I never had play dough when I was a child

I've watched my grandmother baking many times and I know what it need to be done and how.

She had this game with me, she would talk not with me but with whatever she was doing, so I can register. Now I remember every word and advice she said. Or she would take my hand and she would place it in the dough and let me feel it.

I can feel right now the texture of the Christmas Bread dough and the aroma floating about.

The wood was cracking, burning in the stove, and the snow was feet high outside, I know because I loved to stick my little nose to the cold glass watching my grandpa out and about to feed the poor animals... but before we started we had to cover every crack at the doors and windows so no cold air would affect the dough, that was fun too
And it was nice an cozy inside, and we had everything ready at room temperature. She used a wooden thing like this one: http://lh3.ggpht.com/_4dhMnege_pE/Rtauvm9GhXI/AAAAAAAAByQ/lJDhnrPktxA/IMG_4617.jpg (broken link) , the thing was bigger than me, and she used 20 lb of flour at one time... making lots of sweet breads for the carolers

Oh, what wonderful memories. At times I wish I can turn time back so I can hug her one more time, and thank her for the "gift" she gave me
Wow, This post is making me look forward to Christmas even more! Your grandmother sounds like a wonderful woman. I wish my grandmother was like that. Is it to early to start planning Christmas? I don't want summer to end!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink