Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 05:58 PM

418 posts, read 1,349,317 times

Advertisements

Spouse has found raspberries, cauliflower, peppers and asparagas among others. English muffins and tortillas on the right day .. come in fresh.
Some amazing can goods .. just make sure your not to over pay .. some canned items are less at the grocery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 07:03 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,376,131 times
Red face I'm eating red hots fom $ tree as I type this

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Ours even has fresh and frozen food!!!! Even many name brands!!!!! I buy Sargento's shredded cheese there, Farm Rich mozzarella sticks, frozen dinners, those big frozen soft pretzels, boxes of chicken strips, ice cream treats -- you name it, all just $1!!!!! The Dollar Tree really helps me stretch my food budget!!!
Frozen Foods @ $ tree....Tha dickens you say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta View Post
When I the Dollar Tree opened up in my town, I went in and bought a bunch of food items and thought I had saved a ton of money. Then I went into a regular grocery store, and saw that some of the things I had bought for a dollar at the Dollar Tree were actually cheaper at the grocery store, eg., Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco sauce were 89 cents, yellow mustard was 79 cents, generic spices were 2 for a dollar, etc. On the other hand, I have gotten some jams, chocolate, and snacks, for less than I would pay somewhere else. So really familiarize yourself with the prices of what you buy there versus at the regular grocery store.
Yea, I've noticed this also

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiLover View Post
I rarely go to the nearest Dollar Tree. I have found nothing good so far. Plus, the store never has more than one cashier working, yet there are 6 registers. The line gets pretty long, so, for someone like me, who buys one or two things, I wouldn't waste my time waiting in line.

I do frequent a Dollar Store near me that I love. Although, a lot of the things are now $1.29. They have an 11oz. box, of delicious ginger snap cookies, that I stock up on every so often. That alone, is a great deal!
It'nt that something...I mean the long lines. My $ tree has a Kroger next door, so I always walk by there before grocery shopping. If I see that dreaded long line, I keep movin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt2 View Post
It's good for cleaning supplies--half price bowl cleaner, sometimes. Stay away from their cheap toys, however. I think their food would be safe.
Yea, the cleaning supplies are a good deal...Try LA's Awesome....That stuff is the shiznik

Old 10-27-2009, 07:44 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
Absolutely! It's not a regular grocery place but for parties I know I can get crackers, nuts, microwave popcorn and cookies there that cost over twice as much at the supermarket. It's great knowing that with X amount of dollars I know I can purchase X number of items. They had small (I think 3.5 oz) bags of macadamias once, which were disappointing out of the bag but I roasted them and made cookies. The cashews are a regular pick-up item. Raspberry preserves for chipotle chicken wings. The spices aren't much of a draw for me, except their salt grinders that came in a bunch of different flavors like garlic, lemon pepper and Worcestershire. Oh, yeah, Worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard and the like. If I have a bunch of kids to feed: garlic toast, pepperoni, Sargento's mozzarella, pasta sauce. $5 for snack pizza bread for 4, a snack that every kid will eat. Even increasing the need and throwing in a bottled water 6-pack with those Wyler's sugar free water flavor packets, you're feeding half a dozen kids for less than $10. Of course, I'd throw in veggies too but that's frugal shopping elsewhere.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:46 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
I like going into our local Grocery Outlet and buying Lean Cuisine - all the writing is in French. Thank goodness for pictures :-)

Old 10-28-2009, 04:15 AM

737 posts, read 1,648,944 times
Yes I love to buy from the Dollar Tree. Most have closed around here but right in between Winter Haven and Auburndale close to Lake Alfred they have one large Dollar Tree. Wished it was alittle closer since I live on the other side of Winter Haven.

The large Dollar Tree here now has frozen goods.

The one product I miss is The Works that stuff really worked and they don't have it now.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:32 AM

1,741 posts, read 4,576,070 times
Sure why not... several years ago I found some "Austin Powers" Cosmopolitan drink mixes and they were great.

As long as their stuff isn't expired, why not give it a shot.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:49 PM

22,855 posts, read 6,437,988 times
Haven't gone in there, but bought items at Big Lots and they were fine. Like an earlier poster pointed out, watch the prices, sometimes the items are less at WalMart.........

Old 10-28-2009, 09:13 PM

467 posts, read 713,206 times
The ones around here are near places where you can get the same stuff for about the same price.. (ie. target, walmart, even kroger.) We still frequent it sometimes to even get books, let alone drinks and food. :P

Old 10-29-2009, 08:08 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,683,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
Haven't gone in there, but bought items at Big Lots and they were fine. Like an earlier poster pointed out, watch the prices, sometimes the items are less at WalMart.........

I was in Big Lots a few days ago after several years of not going and I couldn't believe their prices on food items. I live off of Triscuitsy and usually pay about $ 4.69 for the family size box and Big Lots had them for $ 1.99. Definately stocked up. They had a lot of other name brand foods for cheap including cereal. I think I saw Trix cereal for around $ 1.50.

My only complaint is that they have so much overstock it's hard to navigate the store because there are pallets and boxes blocking aisles or just flat out in the way. Still, small price to suffer for such savings I suppose.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:29 AM

25,449 posts, read 11,731,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
I was in Big Lots a few days ago after several years of not going and I couldn't believe their prices on food items. I live off of Triscuitsy and usually pay about $ 4.69 for the family size box and Big Lots had them for $ 1.99. Definately stocked up. They had a lot of other name brand foods for cheap including cereal. I think I saw Trix cereal for around $ 1.50.

My only complaint is that they have so much overstock it's hard to navigate the store because there are pallets and boxes blocking aisles or just flat out in the way. Still, small price to suffer for such savings I suppose.
I shop at Big Lots quite often and yes, they have all the name brands I require at incredible prices. For example, I just bought Act II popcorn there the other day -- 12 bags for $2.80. Walmart had 6 bags for $4.00. And the expiration date is over a year from now. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. It pays to go to those discount stores. Rather it be Big Lots or Dollar Tree, Dollar General... they are all perfectly fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink