Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 07:05 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times

Advertisements

I used the recipe from Pioneer woman, the only difference is I added mushrooms to the gravy.
Salisbury Steak Recipe : Ree Drummond : Food Network
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 07:13 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,820,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I used the recipe from Pioneer woman, the only difference is I added mushrooms to the gravy.
Salisbury Steak Recipe : Ree Drummond : Food Network
Thanks OP, stealing this link.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:21 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Thanks OP, stealing this link.
Ok by me, my husband loved it so much. I have only had it in TV dinners, first time making it homemade and it was a big hit. I have leftovers because I used a bigger package of chop meat.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:40 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
We make it with turkey patties and cook it in a mushroom gravy.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Smother steak is similar. Its basically cheaper cut of meat like round steak ;seasoned ; dipped in flour. Onions ;garlic and bell pepper chopped up to taste. Meat browned in a little oil. Then bottom of pan is scraped; water is added; meat put back in; onions; bell pepper added; bought to a simmer and then cook covered on low heat every slowly. It makes the meat tender and creates a gravy.Be sure to check for meat sticking to pan bottom as it cooks and turn meat. Good with rice with gravy over it.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:46 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Apparently, what is called Swiss steak in my region is called Salisbury steak in some others. Salisbury steak where I am calls for ground meat, and does not include tomatoes.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:49 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Apparently, what is called Swiss steak in my region is called Salisbury steak in some others. Salisbury steak where I am calls for ground meat, and does not include tomatoes.
swiss steak is often a bottom round steak, (in new England)

here is what we call salisbury steak up here, and in other regions, its called minute steaks

its ground round or sirloin, form into a patty and run thru a tenderizer/cuber

I've sold thousands of lbs of this, called it fresh salisbury steak, the old timers like it with gravy, it is very tender

it looks like cube steak, but is burger,

here's a pic

Salisbury steak-salisbury-steak.jpg

Old 11-24-2014, 05:47 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Me too. Salisbury steak is a ground meat patty with brown gravy and mushrooms, and Swiss steak is a round steak, cooked with tomato and onion.
Whatever you call them, either one sounds good.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:41 AM

802 posts, read 642,777 times
One of husband's favorites:

Salisbury Steak

2 lbs Lean Ground Beef
2/3 Cup Bread Crumbs or Crackers (run through food processor)
½ tsp Salt
½ tsp Pepper
2 Eggs
Half a finely diced onion

Slice the other half of the onion for the gravy - slice thin, then slice in half again, so they aren’t so long

4 cups of water + 3 teaspoons Beef Better Than Bouillon
Package of sliced mushrooms
4 T. Cornstarch
4 T Water
6 T Brown Gravy Mix
1 tiny drop of Kitchen Bouquet

Mix First 6 ingredients together and shape into ovals about ¾ inches thick. Cook patties in a skillet turning once until just seared on both sides (will be rare, but finishes cooking in the oven). Set patties aside in a casserole dish (or 13 x 9 pan) Saute the mushrooms and onion. Add two cups of the beef broth. Heat to boiling. Mix the other two cups of beef broth, water, cornstarch and brown gravy mix together. Add to boiling mixture (TURN OFF THE HEAT NOW and let it thicken slowly) with a wire whisk and whisk until gravy begins to thicken add a drop of Kitchen Bouquet (not too much, just a drop). I then pour the gravy over the patties in the casserole dish and bake at 350 until bubbly.
Serve with rice, mashed potatoes or noodles.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:05 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,820,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngID View Post
One of husband's favorites:
ong

4 cups of water + 3 teaspoons Beef Better Than Bouillon
Package of sliced mushrooms
4 T. Cornstarch
4 T Water
6 T Brown Gravy Mix
1 tiny drop of Kitchen Bouquet
Between the boullion and gravy mix, does it come out a bit salty? I have seen one or the other, but not both in one gravy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink