Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 09:44 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,038,216 times

Advertisements

crazyme..... I saw that corn syrup commercial also; the sad thing is that so many people will believe it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 10:19 AM

16,226 posts, read 27,318,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
crazyme..... I saw that corn syrup commercial also; the sad thing is that so many people will believe it
I haven't seen a commercial for it - but I'm not surprised. As Americans educate themselves about the reasons behind their growing waistlines, type II diabetes, ballooning obesity, they are probably cutting into the sales/profits of the devils who manufacture the garbage made from HFCS.

Desperation.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:42 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,250,167 times
On my horse and cat and dog and cattle feed - religiously.

On my own, not so much. I've lived long enough to see what's good for you and what's bad for you circle around so often depending on who needs to publish a book or who needs to do a study that I tend to pay more attention to what my body tells me in terms of health than to labels. I've learned to read that REAL closely.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:52 PM

625 posts, read 1,581,972 times
I heard on the news reading those tiny little words and trying to figure out what they mean causes brain cancer, blindness and confusion in lab rats. The pictures were easier for them, figured they would be for me too.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:29 PM

622 posts, read 1,719,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
I couldn't believe those corn syrup commercials! "It is made from corn and has the same nutriential content of sugar" or something like that. What about your body totally processing it differently, making you feel less full and everything pointing to it increasing the chances of diabetes?
Oh my gosh! I was fuming when I saw those commercials! Harmless my booty! We found out my husband is highly sensitive to HFCS, but didn't know it until he was borderline diabetic, getting more and more overweight and developing high blood pressure, even though he had to fight to keep his food down because eating would make him sick to his stomach. After getting rid of high-fructose corn syrup- which CAN be done, even if it does seem like it's in everything- he lost 60lbs in no time flat, and all of his blood sugar and pressure levels went back to normal. I wouldn't touch that stuff with a 10ft cattle prod.
And yes, I read the labels on everything! I don't trust our food suppliers, plain and simple. They put in things that aren't good for you because it's convenient for them. I have to be aware of what goes in my mouth and my family's mouths, because nobody else cares about our health like I do.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:59 AM

10,597 posts, read 12,032,461 times
Default Do We Have to Read Labels on EVERYthing? Your Stories About Reading Labels...

I guess I'm just mad at myself..... and need a reminder to read labels more.

Some things it just doesn't occur to me to read the label.
I usually by tea already made, by the gallon. To me tea is tea....as long as it says unsweetened, I just sort of presumed it was all "natural" and basic...it's tea. I've been buying brewed tea at my health food store and a regular supermarket: about 2.50. Well I see a brand that's different from what I usually buy, and it's only 1.50, So I think "oooh, a sale." It said unsweetened....I grabbed four.

AFER I get them home, I glanced at the label and it said: water, tea EXTRACT, carmel coloring, ascorbic acid. It never dawned on me it wouldn't have been brewed tea, and it certainly never occurred to me there was carmel coloring in it. WHY add coloring. (I know why but it's so unnecessary.)

It's things like this that make me despair. Do we have to read labels on EVERY. DAMN. THING? Even TEA!

As for labels on a non food item I bough a deodorant I THOUGHT had no aluminum in it. Front of its says big as day: No Aluminum Chlorohydrate. Great .....But on the smaller print ingredients label it says Potassium Alum. (which is a kind of aluminum).

The more I read labels, the more I realize I have to read even MORE labels.

But I guess if there's a shoe rubber chemical in bread, I shouldn't be surprised anymore about what could be in our food (or personal items)

I remember the first time I realized there was HFCS in bread...who knew?

Old 08-10-2015, 01:38 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,788,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I guess I'm just mad at myself..... and need a reminder to read labels more.

Some things it just doesn't occur to me to read the label.
I usually by tea already made, by the gallon. To me tea is tea....as long as it says unsweetened, I just sort of presumed it was all "natural" and basic...it's tea. I've been buying brewed tea at my health food store and a regular supermarket: about 2.50. Well I see a brand that's different from what I usually buy, and it's only 1.50, So I think "oooh, a sale." It said unsweetened....I grabbed four.

AFER I get them home, I glanced at the label and it said: water, tea EXTRACT, carmel coloring, ascorbic acid. It never dawned on me it wouldn't have been brewed tea, and it certainly never occurred to me there was carmel coloring in it. WHY add coloring. (I know why but it's so unnecessary.)

It's things like this that make me despair. Do we have to read labels on EVERY. DAMN. THING? Even TEA!

As for labels on a non food item I bough a deodorant I THOUGHT had no aluminum in it. Front of its says big as day: No Aluminum Chlorohydrate. Great .....But on the smaller print ingredients label it says Potassium Alum. (which is a kind of aluminum).

The more I read labels, the more I realize I have to read even MORE labels.

But I guess if there's a shoe rubber chemical in bread, I shouldn't be surprised anymore about what could be in our food (or personal items)

I remember the first time I realized there was HFCS in bread...who knew?
It doesn't matter what you read if you don't understand it - do some research.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:49 AM

10,597 posts, read 12,032,461 times
Oh, I understand it. I just wish we all didn't have to be o vigilant. WHY do they have to add coloring -- like carmel coloring to tea. Tea already has a 'color'...do you really need to make it darker? Or WHY is HFCS in bread? Until I heard about it...it never even dawned on me it would be in there in the first place.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:24 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,681,866 times
You're getting off easy. I'm just back from Russia, where I counted 35 lines of fine print on the label of a beer bottle, mandated by Russian consumer law. Compared to the USA where the simple word "beer" on a label exempts it from any other labeling requirements except quantity of contents and the surgeon general's warning. Nearly every country, even Mexico, has stricter labeling laws than the USA.

By the way, my all-time favorite whimsical ingredient was on a tetra-box of Hi-C,, which is consumed unseen by poking a straw through a hole in the top of the opaque container. It contained three different food colorings -- in a product whose color is never seen by the consumer.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-10-2015 at 05:34 AM..

Old 08-10-2015, 06:19 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,587,789 times
My Jewel has a very nice clearance section, and I often find things at half price or below. We went camping a couple weeks ago, I had my eyes open for snacks and things I could bring along. I had been eyeing some salmon jerky in another store, but it was too expensive for what would just be a hiking snack, and we don't eat beef. So when I was at Jewel and saw the pile of sweet potato jerky on the clearance rack, I went right over to check it out. The Earth Mother look of the package seemed a little pretentious, but there weren't a lot of ingredients and I was curious. It took me a minute before I saw "Dog Treats" in small letters on the back. Oopsies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink