Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 01:08 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,297,179 times

Advertisements

A little secret....my step son use to work at Olive Garden...he told us their meals are all pre cooked and measured in boil bags. I believe it's Betty Crocker that owns Olive Garden. Now I have no proof but this is what he told us! And people rave about their food! Their commercials go on and on about how it's cooked fresh! My hubby can't stand it and wouldn't go there even before his step son told us! Of course that was many years ago---it may have changed!??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 01:17 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,244,690 times
To top it off the pasta in that commercial looks disgusting. I catered a party for 30 people at our Steakhouse last month, with my spaghetti sauce made from the tomatoes from our garden and the fresh herbs. 2 full trays of baked ziti, meat and cheese lasagna and chicken piccata, there was nothing left. Whenever someone asks my h the best Italian restaurant in the area he tells them, "my house".

Old 09-24-2008, 01:20 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,490,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
A little secret....my step son use to work at Olive Garden...he told us their meals are all pre cooked and measured in boil bags. I believe it's Betty Crocker that owns Olive Garden. Now I have no proof but this is what he told us! And people rave about their food! Their commercials go on and on about how it's cooked fresh! My hubby can't stand it and wouldn't go there even before his step son told us! Of course that was many years ago---it may have changed!??
They don't really cook their food at TGI Fridays either. I don't know about Chilis and Applebees, but it wouldn't surprise me if they're the same.

I don't have a problem with a restaurant being a chain if it serves good food, but none of the above fall into that category!

Old 09-24-2008, 01:30 PM

2,994 posts, read 3,764,360 times
Italian pizza is very different than pizza hut.
I like pizza hut (pepperoni pizza is very good!!) but it isn't the same

Old 09-24-2008, 01:40 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,764,514 times
I would like to try an authentic Italian Pizza probably have to hit Chicago or NYC
For that!Thats another thing Pizza hut did!They had something called a Sicilian pizza!
Whats so Sicilian about it?lol

Old 09-24-2008, 02:27 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,365,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
That's like getting an A in recess, no one cares.
Hey I got an A in recess. And teacher said next year I don't have to ride the short bus to school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I've heard similar anecdotal info. Cyn. I had a friend who ordered the chicken parm there and it was frozen in the middle. She sent it back.

No surprise really a lot of chains have pre-prepared food in order to maintain consistent flavor and quality of whatever level. Caveat emptor.

The restaurants that do it right cost a bit more, but if they know what they're doing they're worth it.

Pizza hut also has a similar commercial in regard to some chocolate dipping sauce and bread they are now serving. Seems like that carb feast could easily be mimiced by what could be bought at the grocery store, too.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
I would like to try an authentic Italian Pizza probably have to hit Chicago or NYC
For that!Thats another thing Pizza hut did!They had something called a Sicilian pizza!
Whats so Sicilian about it?lol
I'm waiting for you in Italy!!!!!
Italian pizza is the best!!!! It's my favorite food!

Uhm...No, pizza isn't Sicilian..
Pizza is from Naples but you can try a good Italian pizza in every place of Italy!

Old 09-25-2008, 12:27 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,232,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemouse View Post
I'm waiting for you in Italy!!!!!
Italian pizza is the best!!!! It's my favorite food!

Uhm...No, pizza isn't Sicilian..
Pizza is from Naples but you can try a good Italian pizza in every place of Italy!
I bet pizza in Italy is great, you seem to have lots of great food there.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
I bet pizza in Italy is great, you seem to have lots of great food there.
yes, Italian food is tee best for me but I like American and Mexican food also!!!!

Old 09-25-2008, 06:21 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,485,152 times
that commercial shows one thing:
people are impressed solely on ambiance, and therefore pay no attention to the food. this happens ALL THE TIME!!!
people get scammed. they are willing to pay $20 for a dinner that takes up only half the dish and tastes like garbage, but the restaurant is popular.
meanwhile, the hole in the wall place that actually cares about the food they prepare is considered lowly and people wont go as much, because it costs less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink