Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 01:18 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times

Advertisements

Yep---survivalist is another animal! But, regarding human nature I think most of us have that instinct to survive. I had to feel sorry for my daughter in CA. We were discussing this thread and she said that being in CA she'd basically be screwed! Where would she or her hubby fish or hunt? Where could they find or grow fresh fruit and veggies (other then lemons and oranges)? Properties are so small and so many people in such a small area going crazy!! I told her that of course she'd bring her family and move in with us in NC!! Together we would survive!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 01:53 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Yep---survivalist is another animal! But, regarding human nature I think most of us have that instinct to survive. I had to feel sorry for my daughter in CA. We were discussing this thread and she said that being in CA she'd basically be screwed! Where would she or her hubby fish or hunt? Where could they find or grow fresh fruit and veggies (other then lemons and oranges)? Properties are so small and so many people in such a small area going crazy!! I told her that of course she'd bring her family and move in with us in NC!! Together we would survive!!
Yes, there is definately a part of me that could be a raving survivalist. I don't really think that any of the survivalist mentality will be needed, but I feel so much more secured when I'm in an area where I could survive off the land.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:58 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I need some of those recipes on how to cook something out of flour, milk, salt.
Seriously, you should look up some recipes on pan bread. It is so easy and quick--good with a salad and soup dinner (or chili, or stew...). Tortillas are really easy too--just masa, salt and water, although you could probably use wheat flour just as well. And I'm making crepes tomorrow without the eggs (having a guest that is allergic). I tried them out earlier this week and they worked pretty well; another basic flour-salt-water recipe (crepes need some fat, though, and usually have some baking soda I think, and some sugar).

Although I should put the disclaimer that I haven't been able to get my tortillas looking and feeling like store-bought. They are very small, so we use them as a side bread with beans and rice or whatever. Crepes, though! I can do crepes!

Old 10-05-2008, 09:23 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
I went 8 days without electrical power once a few years ago. This was in mid-winter after a severe snow and ice storm so I was glad I had a couple of oil lamps and plenty of oil, plenty of batteries, a wood burning fire place, plenty of food, plenty of water in gallon jugs, etc. so I fared quite well. I keep a goodly supply of necessities on hand. It just makes good sense to stockpile when you live in the boonies, as I do. With the uncertainty that faces us today, I feel it makes good sense for everyone to be prepared for the unexpected.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:00 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
I don't think I'm going to "stockpile" but I will purchase some additional meats to freeze and some pantry necessities. Its just the two of us and a cat and if needed, I could cook the cat!! LOL-NO WAY J/K people!!! We already have a lot of food in an outside fridge/freezer. I've definitely stocked up on paper towels and poo poo paper. I think I have an OCD condition on stockpiling up on stuff LOL

Old 10-06-2008, 01:12 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,433,883 times
Yeah....I was ATTEMPTING to do that, but 2 things came in the way.
1. I don't have enough storage room to keep everything in
2. The "guys" in my household get into it, and DEPLETE it all.

I've pretty much have given up on that idea....huh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink