Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 08:56 AM

746 posts, read 2,175,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
I agree, and I try to do it as much as possible, but if an American-made item is extremely more expensive, I may not have a choice, given a limited income. And, frequently, it's all but impossible to find certain items not made overseas, (I couldn't tell you the last time I was able to find tennis shoes made here). If it's not made in China, it's made in Taiwan, the Phillipines, Mexico, you name it. I always try to find the American-made product first, but those two things can certainly hamper one's endeavors to "buy American". But, I do the best I can. It's pretty bad though, when you have to worry not only about your own country's food supply, but also about food items from overseas, (as I drink my Irish breakfast tea this morning. LOL! But, you know what I mean).
I also try to avoid buying ANYTHING made in China. Unfortunately, sometimes it's just not possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 10:26 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,431,487 times
OK....maybe I am a bit "naive", but....I've got a real "eye opener" just yesterday, by reading the news.

Ok....here I responded to the China milk recall, thinking, it's happening in China, so, it doesn't affect me.

So, then the recall spread into wider ranges....from milk to milk powder.
I still though: "Oh well....I guess that's unfortunate, but, doesn't affect or concern me".

Until yesterday.....
When I happen to read the news article about how hugely this thing is affecting us here in the US also!!!
US and European companies like Kraft etc. ARE buying milk powder, and other ingredients, in order for THEM to make THEIR products.
This is now a WORLDWIDE recall, not only concerning milk, but milk powder AND other ingredients used in a wide array of products consumed and produced here in the US and Europe.

I was shocked.....and didn't believe it.
So, now my question is: How do you know, reading ingredients on ready- mix packages (example)....just WHERE and WHICH country those ingredients, in order to make that product, come from ????

(Remember...open Trade, and law doesn't require them to list WHERE they purchase)
And, HOW can you possibly avoid eating any of them, when you don't even know what ingredients are found inside a package (sure, there is the "ingredient list"...but,lets say "milk powder" is an ingredient on the list of a food product....but, what is the milk powder exactly MADE WITH ??? ), or which compounds are added ????

Think chocolate, chocolate syrup, candy bars....ice cream....hamburger helper....etc.
There is just milk powder in so many things......

Us in the meat industry, just had a new "COOL" law kick into affect, as of 9-26-2008, having to state on the label, just WHERE that meat comes from (COOL= Country Of Origin Labeling)
giving people (aka consumers) the "heads up" and choices.
However, even that new law is full with loopholes and "back doors", as of right now.

But, if there is a package with, lets say, Hamburger Helper, and the ingredient list shows "milk powder"....how DOES the consumer know on just WHERE that ingredient came from ???

That's really something to think about, IMHO !

Like I've said....I didn't realize on just how severe it really is, and just HOW it could possibly affect me and my family......until yesterday!
Oh boy....I really am sometimes so naive!

Last edited by MB2; 09-30-2008 at 12:00 PM..

Old 09-30-2008, 11:12 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
What seems to be happening is a strong push towards natural, unprocessed foods replacing most if not all of the processed crud we eat. I think that is a good thing. No one really needs twinkies, pringles, and no-bake cheesecake in a box (Jello makes one, and once I tried to read the list of ingredients I stopped buying this period). Lately I really have been sticking to the outer edges of the supermarkets and skipping the aisles. We feel better when we eat stuff that was prepared by us. If I didn't have to work for a living, just about everything we eat would be home made from original ingredients, including bread and pasta and other "staples" we are used to buying already made.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:35 AM
MB2

I agree with you, and I guess, it would be a good thing of going "back to basics" with a little more work and "inconvenience" in order to make it yourself.
But, hey....a heck of a lot safer, if you ask me !

Old 09-30-2008, 11:54 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,245,086 times
Our new Fresh Market is just about 5 weeks away from opening. I can't wait. It isn't worth our health and to shop in the discount or average supermarket any longer. As I told my h, yes, it will definitely cost more, but since we can't afford to buy gas any longer (if you can find gas in our area), it will be worth it. I will not pay $6.00 for a lb of pasta, I'll make my own, the same with the bread.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:54 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,917,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
What seems to be happening is a strong push towards natural, unprocessed foods replacing most if not all of the processed crud we eat. ...Lately I really have been sticking to the outer edges of the supermarkets and skipping the aisles.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

My beef doesn't come from Kroger, who got it from Nebraska beef, who got it from a CAFO in Kansas, where it was fed a steady diet of corn, antibiotics and hormones.

I buy it from Roger. He's got a farm about a half hour from me. Roger's cows eat grass and hay.

I don't worry too much about E.coli in my lettuce (http://www.marlerblog.com/2008/09/articles/case-news/at-least-39-e-coli-cases-in-michigan-illinois-new-york-ohio-and-oregon-and-the-count-likely-will-continues-to-rise/ - broken link), because I don't buy it "pre-washed" and shredded and bagged from Salinas Valley.

I buy it from a farmer, and I wash it myself.

I
bake my own bread, and the ingredients list has 4 things; flour, water, yeast, salt.

If I want strawberries right now, I have to go to my freezer, because they aren't in season here.

It's not easy, but it's not that hard. It's not cheap, but there are fewer hidden costs.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:49 PM

144 posts, read 608,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself.

My beef doesn't come from Kroger, who got it from Nebraska beef, who got it from a CAFO in Kansas, where it was fed a steady diet of corn, antibiotics and hormones.

I buy it from Roger. He's got a farm about a half hour from me. Roger's cows eat grass and hay.

I don't worry too much about E.coli in my lettuce (http://www.marlerblog.com/2008/09/articles/case-news/at-least-39-e-coli-cases-in-michigan-illinois-new-york-ohio-and-oregon-and-the-count-likely-will-continues-to-rise/ - broken link), because I don't buy it "pre-washed" and shredded and bagged from Salinas Valley.

I buy it from a farmer, and I wash it myself.

I
bake my own bread, and the ingredients list has 4 things; flour, water, yeast, salt.

If I want strawberries right now, I have to go to my freezer, because they aren't in season here.

It's not easy, but it's not that hard. It's not cheap, but there are fewer hidden costs.
Two big problem with this is that it's requires a lot time which most families don't have now since two incomes are needed to support the household and it's expensive when the median income in the US is 50k that does not allow you to shop at whole foods and trader joe's all that often.

Last edited by veg8; 09-30-2008 at 04:19 PM..

Old 09-30-2008, 04:02 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,917,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veg8 View Post
Two big problem with this is that it's requires a lot time which most families don't have now since two incomes are needed to support the household and it's expensive when the median income in the US is 50k that's does not allow you to shop at the whole foods and trader joe's all that often.
Really though, it doesn't. We do it on one income. Tough? Yes, but doable.

I don't go to Trader Joe's. My wife has gotten a few things there, but not much. I don't know where Whole Foods is. There's an Earth Fare near me that's similar, I bought some cheese for a fondue there once, and some bulk rice for risotto, but total I've ever spent there is well under $20.

I spend about $100 a week at the farmer's market, including meat and eggs. I spend another $60 at Aldi, and I think we could do a bit better if we had to. (Ideally we would plan a menu ahead of time, but in reality it works the other way, which leads to some waste I think.)

We always have at least one vegetarian meal a week, and usually end up with 2. A whole chicken we're going to get two meals and a stock out of.

Chopping veggies takes a little time, cutting up chickens takes a little time, and cooking it takes some time too, but at least it's family time.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:02 PM
MB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by veg8 View Post
Two big problem with this is that it's requires a lot time which most families don't have now since two incomes are needed to support the household and it's expensive when the median income in the US is 50k that's does not allow you to shop at the whole foods and trader joe's all that often.
Yes.....the "new" and healthy thing, comes with a (sometimes) hefty price tag.
I promised myself, that, once we will live in our OWN home again(we are renting a house right now), there WILL be a small little veggie garden for sure.
Right now, I am growing just herbs and tomatoes in containers.... nothing can beat the price and taste, not even to mention I KNOW where it came from.

I do think, that I am on the right track.....

Old 09-30-2008, 11:39 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I am getting really tired of hearing stories like this...and just imagine--Cadbury wanted to buy Hershey's. Thank goodness it didn't go through. A Hershey Bar made in China? The thought made me cringe...and if you want to know why, read below:

Cadbury says Chinese-made chocolate have melamine - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080929/ap_on_re_as/as_cadbury_chocolate_recall - broken link)

We are pretty good about checking our foods for Country of Origin, but now we will be EXTRA diligent. I do not trust China's products, not one bit, and it bothers me tremendously that we import so much from there.
Oh, God, I didn't even think about checking our food HERE.

I am sorry, I don't trust ANYTHING coming out of CHINA at this point. From the cheap crap in toy machines (that have killed little kids because of the high lead content) to the garbage toys that break 5 minutes after you open the package. I am even wondering about the baking dishes I bought from Costco that were made in China. Who knows, they are probably full of lead too.

So, moving on from lead, we now have to worry about food? I didn't even think we got any food from China but another poster mentioned such things that use powdered milk. So, you mean to tell me that Kraft is importing powdered milk to make mac n. cheese?

Great.

Just another reason to avoid CRAP made in CHINA.

Unbelievable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink