Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Her Her started this thread

298 posts, read 868,473 times

Advertisements

I went in search of raw milk yesterday and came home with Straus Organic milk. It has the cream and everything but what is the difference? Does raw milk have to be bought from a local dairy or something?

Also, if anyone knows how to get a hold of vitamin butter oil I would really apreciate it. I am located in NM. Thanks a bunch in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 01:16 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,469,463 times
The word 'organic' is overused nowadays,I'm even seeing 'organic' milk in mainstream supermarkets. From what I know,organic is simply free of pesticides and that's it.

The key to better milk is having it not pasteurized(which is heating it and killing most of the vitamins). I think legally milk must be pasteurized in order for stores to carry it(due to health reasons).

Raw milk is of course available directly through most local farmers. Some states,such as NJ of course,are tighter on raw milk farmers. But I did an online search for raw milk and found places around me that sell it.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:17 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
Raw milk is unpasteurized and is illegal for public sale in the U.S. You could probably buy raw milk directly from a dairy farm if you had a personal contact, and the farmer (and you) were willing to engage in a theoretically illegal financial transaction. OR you could barter for the milk. Many of France's most wonderful cheeses are made from raw milk, and thus cannot be imported into the U.S.

Organic milk is pasteurized milk from cows who graze on grasses which are grown organically. (Think of the TV commercials featuring those happy, talking cows in wide green meadows...) So the cows are fed real cow food, and the cow food is grown without pesticides. Depending on the type of organic certification, the cows themselves probably do not receive antibiotics, growth hormones, and other chemical injections or food additives.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:02 PM

6,630 posts, read 13,535,602 times
Organic milk comes from cows raised organically. It can be raw or processed. Raw milk has not been pasteurized or homogenized but doesn't have to be organic. Does that make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
The word 'organic' is overused nowadays,I'm even seeing 'organic' milk in mainstream supermarkets. From what I know,organic is simply free of pesticides and that's it.
NOP does allow certain pesticides. It calls for organic food, a certain amount of time on pasture (adds up to little), doesn't allow certain medications, and more.

I wholeheartedly agree that organic is overused. It doesn't have the same meaning as the organic movement had years ago. When looking for organic food it's important to know what non-organic ingredients are allowed in organic food and decide whether that's a deal breaker for you.

Quote:
The key to better milk is having it not pasteurized(which is heating it and killing most of the vitamins). I think legally milk must be pasteurized in order for stores to carry it(due to health reasons).
Some states allow non-pasteurized. I'm able to buy organic raw milk in Maine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Raw milk is unpasteurized and is illegal for public sale in the U.S.
Not quite. It is illegal in some states but not in the US as a whole.

Quote:
You could probably buy raw milk directly from a dairy farm if you had a personal contact, and the farmer (and you) were willing to engage in a theoretically illegal financial transaction. OR you could barter for the milk.
I think this is an excellent suggestion.

Quote:
Many of France's most wonderful cheeses are made from raw milk, and thus cannot be imported into the U.S.
That's a shame. I buy raw cheese from farmers in an Amish community nearby. It has incredible flavor. I've never had other raw milk cheeses.

Quote:
Organic milk is pasteurized milk from cows who graze on grasses which are grown organically.
Organic doesn't have to be pasteurized. The cows are most likely also fed a ration of commercial grains to keep the level of production up. This also has to be organic. I'd love to find 100% grass fed organic raw milk and try my hand at making cheeses.

I have a farming friend looking into certifying her grass fed beef. When she talked to the certifying agency she was told a farm inspection was optional. She can submit her records and be certified. That's disturbing. Without an inspection how can anyone be positive of what's happening on a farm? Most small organic farmers are indeed honest. One dishonest farmer can do a lot of damage. Organic standards continue to be watered down.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:14 PM

Thanks a lot. I found a dairy pretty close that sells raw milk...im going to check it out. very informative. : ) : )

Old 06-01-2008, 04:58 PM

187 posts, read 674,663 times
My father's specialty is dairy science, and according to him, drinking raw milk's a good way to give yourself a case of listeriosis. Personally, I think I'll stick with the pasteurized variety.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:23 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,469,463 times
I looked up listeriosis and also raw milk and it looks like it kind of balances out-

Disease Listing: Listeriosis General Information | CDC DFBMD

Benefits of Raw Milk - Raw Milk Drinking Advantages

Old 06-01-2008, 06:55 PM

I thought that the process of pasteurization basically defeats the purpose of milk by killing all the vitamins...I will check out the links.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:57 PM

I read them. Im gonna taky my chances. It cant be much worse than all the chemicals i pump into myself from processed foods.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:08 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,114 times
I've read that goat milk is more nutritious. But I've also read that organic milk is better than milk off the grocery shelf.

BTW, if anyone out there is trying the "milk diet,"it doesn't work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink