Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 07:33 PM

669 posts, read 3,193,009 times

Advertisements

Well, I've heard that here, near Philly, they are banning trans fats. That's all well and good, and I fully applaud them for doing this.

However, I don't get it. It's not like trans fats are the only problem. People know full well that eating cheesesteaks all week will make you fat. Yes, trans fats suck, but if you eat fatty foods of any kind, you're going to get fat anyway.

I don't see the point in banning these. It's still, and always going to be, up to us to stay healthy. This is just a small step and I just don't see the effect it will have. People who overeat will keep eating and people who don't eat too much will continue to be healthy. Trans fats are not a good thing, but I don't get why they're promoting the banning as if it will solve all problems.

If they truly want us to be healthy, they better ban all fats, all sugar, etc. It feels strange to ban one unhealthy thing. If people want to be fat, it's their choice.

Just venting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 09:29 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,984,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
Well, I've heard that here, near Philly, they are banning trans fats. That's all well and good, and I fully applaud them for doing this.

However, I don't get it. It's not like trans fats are the only problem. People know full well that eating cheesesteaks all week will make you fat. Yes, trans fats suck, but if you eat fatty foods of any kind, you're going to get fat anyway.

I don't see the point in banning these. It's still, and always going to be, up to us to stay healthy. This is just a small step and I just don't see the effect it will have. People who overeat will keep eating and people who don't eat too much will continue to be healthy. Trans fats are not a good thing, but I don't get why they're promoting the banning as if it will solve all problems.

If they truly want us to be healthy, they better ban all fats, all sugar, etc. It feels strange to ban one unhealthy thing. If people want to be fat, it's their choice.

Just venting...
I think the banning of trans-fats is actually a good thing. Trans-fats are partially hydrogenated fats and they have terrible effects on the body, lowering good cholesterol, raising bad cholesterol, and are difficult to remove from the body. You're right about fat fats...eat enough of them and you're going to have issues.
But if you're going to eat fatty foods... and I do!!!! you want more natural fats that don't automatically harm the body with cholesterol issues.
Real sugar isn't unhealthy. The overprocessed white refined sugars are.
It is turning out that the natural foods are the best after all, even for dieting.
If we eat trans-fats, we get dangerous metabolic changes in our bodies and our good cholesterols plummet and our bad cholesterols skyrocket.
If we drink diet sodas, we get aspertame which collects in the fatty tissues and is basically formic acid and formaldehyde (embalming fluid) and causes all kinds of illnesses, headaches, and mimicks many diseases when ingested too much. Plus it makes us crave carbohydrates and sugar...
If we drink skim and lowfat milk, we don't lose weight as much as we do if we drink whole milk...why is that?
Butter is healthier than margarine and fake spreads, but we're told to eat the artificial stuff to avoid cholesterol...and it turns out the fake stuff is trans-fat which boosts bad cholesterol and lowers good cholesterol.

The lesson is get the trans-fat out, regardless. It's a health hazard in and of itself.
The second lesson is forget diet foods and sodas. They're worse for you than the real McCoy.
Eat natural foods and eat them in moderation. If you want the taste of butter, eat BUTTER, not that manmade crap called margarine.
I think we're slowly coming to the realization that our obsessions with modified foods to control diet and weight does just the opposite.
Grandma was right...real food is always better. Let's eat the real stuff and stay away from the chemical ladden crap advertized to help us lose weight and use MODERATION!

Old 02-11-2007, 12:35 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,087,707 times
I think it's odd for cities to be banning trans fats. I think the FDA should be the one to ban them.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:43 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,905 times
I think the cities are getting sick of waiting for the government to do their job (of course some libertarian is going to come in here and tell me that isn't the government's job, but that isn't my point here) and are taking matters such as this (and other matters) into their own hands.

Old 02-11-2007, 02:51 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,922 times
So true about the butter vs. the margarine. I gave up margarine many years ago and switched to butter until Smart Balance made it's appearance. It's a delicious buttery spread. The company also makes popcorn, mayonnaise, cheese, peanut butter, etc. Great omega balance in the products.

For a healthier way to enjoy that buttery taste, check out their web site. Yum!

Old 02-11-2007, 03:16 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Default Ban, Ban, Ban! WOW!

Everything Natural, an organic health foods store in the trendy Scranton suburb of Clarks Summit, is leading a local push to have trans-fats banned across the entire state of PA. Recently, the enactment of a new public smoking ban in Scranton has prompted Governor Rendell to likewise propose a statewide ban on public smoking. I've also heard large groups of local residents lobbying and proposing a statewide ban on cell phone usage while driving! Wow! I guess Scrantonians aren't the inbred hicks that the NJ residents would lead you to believe we are after all, are we? LOL!

While I don't smoke, don't chat while driving, and eat as healthily as I can to tone my abs, I still wonder sometimes why it's the responsibility of the government to "protect people from themselves." In the case of the public smoking ban, I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, I'm thrilled that my suburban friends and I can head downtown on a semi-frequent basis and not be offended by the noxious fumes, which can damage our lungs, that smokers exhale (not to mention how smelly our clothing becomes after just a few minutes of sitting in a smoky area). On the other hand, Scranton's smoking population has been surprisingly-devoted to "sticking to their guns", as several city restaurants and bars now say that they may have to soon close their doors due to the fact that Scranton's smokers are now fleeing en masse to dine out at suburban chain restaurants. Apparently, the influx of non-smoking suburbanites, such as myself, is not nearly accounting for the outflow of city smokers (it's sad that so many in our city choose to light up, but they do have strengths in numbers). Overall, I wish Scranton didn't always have to be the Liberal haven to spark the flame under state's butt to get EVERYTHING accomplished, but, hopefully, the city restaurants that are currently suffering will rebound once PA finally adopts a statewide public smoking ban at some point.

As far as trans-fats are concerned, if Joe Schmoe sitting next to me is shoving his fat face full of chili cheese fries while I'm eating my Caesar's salad, then what harm is he doing to me? If Joe Schmoe wants to drop dead of a heart attack, then more power to him, as he's not adversely affecting my health in any way, shape, or form. If he's too sedentary to consider regular physical exercise to help offset the junk food, then good riddance. Who am I to run out and say "Drop those chili cheese fries, NOW!" As I said, I regularly tell smokers near me in enclosed areas to please stop lighting up, or I take the initiative myself and leave the establishment, as they have no right to be disrespectful towards my lungs, but what's the argument for trans-fats? I'm in the slim minority in American that is very physically-fit at a time when most others I know have derrieres that sway like lava lamps! Nevertheless, nobody made me "The Authoritative U.S. Dietitian!"

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 02-11-2007 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 02-11-2007, 10:14 PM

229 posts, read 232,453 times
Red face It' Not about being/getting fat

As far as I know, the trans-fat thingis not about being fat or getting fat. Trans fats can cause cancer, lead to cancer, however you wish to put it. The question you all should be asking yourselves is what's anti-freeze doing in my toothpaste,shampoo, deodorant, lotion and cosmetics.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:20 AM

1,076 posts, read 3,552,331 times
Well here's my point of view which doesn't mean diddly but when you can't sleep what the heck.

the fda, gov, super docs, who ever they may be (of which i have no faith in what so ever), they come up with these warnings, schemes, research findings, telling us how bad or good this & that is, then turn around years later & do a complete reversal.

eating healthy is fine but if a person wants to eat big macs & fries 24/7 so be it, if we listened to all the not so correct findings we would be eating sawdust burgers.

things are so crazy these days, if the food doesn't get you, stress, or a buss, you might have a fighting chance.

lets not forget about the pills also, a pill to make you sleep, a pill to wake up, a pill for depression, a pill for anything there is.

the average person cannot walk out of a doctors office without one or more prescriptions in hand, of which it wouldn't surprize me that the doc gets a kickback on those too.

a lot of negativity huh, lol, not pessimistic nor optimistic just grumpy.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:08 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,678 times
Default Trans Fats

IMHO adults should be responsible for what they ingest, but when it comes to kids I'm for the ban. I understand the NYC ban includes school cafeterias.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:07 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,204,524 times
where does the long arm of the government stop? yes banning trans-fat may be well and good,,,,but so would wearing helmets while we drive, would save thousands of lives, (how many woman would go for that?) and while we are banning, why not ban obesity? why not, charge higher health insurance rates for obese folks,,,they already do it for smokers? why cant mcdonalds,,refuse to sell big macs,,to an obese person??(like smokers, obesity, we all pay for, in health ins. premiums....sounds ridiculous?? maybe it is,,but what im afraid of,,is the p.e.t.a. whackos,,,wanting to ban all meat, or, the three obese woman, trying to sue mcdonalds, for being obese,,(they'd be rich, if they got the o.j. jury)
whatever happened to personal responsibility,,????
perhaps i want a ban on ALL ORGANIC PRODUCTS???? perhaps i want a ban on all organic veggies, or all veggies that are grown in fertilizer(*****)??? that promotes the e-coli bacteria
??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink