Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 02:29 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,087 times

Advertisements

If you know me, you know I really have no problem tooting my own stupid horn, but in all honesty these bagels are really great and you should make some right now.

http://home.nc.rr.com/bad_mojo/bagels1.jpg (broken link)

I'll tell you the secrets to good bagels first, because that's the important part, and then the recipe and directions. But first - 3 things that are the most important:

1. High protein flour. Don't do this with AP. I used bread flour because the grocery stores near me all suck and no one sells high-gluten flour. I'ma have to order it on line, but these turned out really very good with bread flour; high protein flour would just be better.

2. Kneed it. Kneed it some more. When you think can't possibly kneed it anymore because your arms are so tired you're about halfway there. I don't have a mixer because I'm saving for a high end Electrolux, so this was a good 40 minutes of serious kneading.

3. Boil 'em. I saw an on-line recipe calling for 'no boil' bagels. That's like a no salt Margarita. You could do it, but it makes no sense. And I'm not talking about a 10 second dip. At least 5 minutes per side.

Oh, and I don't know how much it matters, but I did these right on the quary tile that lines the bottom of my oven, just like I make pizza, and am very happy with the resulting crust.

OK, recipe was easy - 3 cups bread flour, about 1.75 cups of water, a palmful of salt, and yeast. I bloomed the yeast first in some of the water, warmed and witha bit of sugar until foamy, then dump it in. Blooming yeast I just out of habit. I've skipped that step before and it works without it, so who knows - do what you like.

Kneed it like crazy, adding flour if it sticks to your hands. Keep kneading until the dough gets smooth and you can get a windowpane going. I'll warn you right now if you're doing it by hand it takes a long time. When it's looking smooth, stretch it into a ball, tucking the ends under itself, and plop it into a bowl and cover it with a wet washcloth. Plastic wrap would work just as well I imagine, but mama used a wet towel on her dough, so I do too.

About an hour later it will have doubled in size. Tear off 12 equal pieces. Roll em into snakes, and squeeze the ends together to form rings. Let them sit 10 minutes.

Bring a big old pot of water to a boil and turn the oven to 440. I read somewhere to add a big squirt of honey to the water. I have no idea what this is supposed to do, but I figured it couldn't hurt, so I did it.

When the water boils - bagels into the water. I used a wok, and could fit 5 at a time. They'll expand in the water. Flip after 5 minutes.

Out of the bath, I dipped one side in corn meal, the other side in toasted sesame seeds, then right into the oven. I flipped them when they got got some color - it didn't take long, 5 or 6 minutes I think.

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 02:32 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,488,710 times
HEY!!! those look really good!!!! i am going to try them sometime...keep tootin!

Old 10-05-2008, 02:36 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
good for you. cooking is an act of love and happiness which we share with others. the world needs more cooks. happy and joyful is never stupid.
have a great day.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:38 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,015,431 times
Congratulations!
I tried making bagels years ago, and they came out like little gut bombs.
Love the picture.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:29 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,867,167 times
These look amazing! I am in awe... sooooooo not a baker and jealous of those who are....Go YOU!!!!

Old 10-05-2008, 04:40 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,832,160 times
*Pulls out atlas to check directions to Durham*

Yum!!!

Old 10-05-2008, 06:24 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,333,911 times
Wow, really nice photo and an excellent recipe - thanks for sharing! I tried to rep you, but the silly website wants me to share the love first; I really wish the administrators would understand that we really NEED to be able to rep folks more often than usual on the foodies forum.

I called my bread-making spouse over to check it out, in the hopes that he might find it inspiring, and now I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a cold rainy Saturday sometime soon.... since he won't stay indoors to bake when it's sunny out.

Out of curiosity, can you define "windowpane" as you used it in your recipe? The family baker is largely self-taught and didn't recognize that term in connection with kneading. I suspect that it's a stage he's familiar with, just not the term.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:47 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Out of curiosity, can you define "windowpane" as you used it in your recipe? The family baker is largely self-taught and didn't recognize that term in connection with kneading. I suspect that it's a stage he's familiar with, just not the term.
Yeah, sure - you've kneaded enough when you can get a windowpane; pinch off a piece and stretch it out - the gluten will stretch like the head of a drum, so that you can see light through it without it tearing. The best photo I found of that stage is this one - please note that is not my photo, it is from this cooking blog.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:27 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,001,642 times
Default Oh my, can you send me a couple doz...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
If you know me, you know I really have no problem tooting my own stupid horn, but in all honesty these bagels are really great and you should make some right now.

I'll tell you the secrets to good bagels first, because that's the important part, and then the recipe and directions. But first - 3 things that are the most important:

1. High protein flour. Don't do this with AP. I used bread flour because the grocery stores near me all suck and no one sells high-gluten flour. I'ma have to order it on line, but these turned out really very good with bread flour; high protein flour would just be better.

2. Kneed it. Kneed it some more. When you think can't possibly kneed it anymore because your arms are so tired you're about halfway there. I don't have a mixer because I'm saving for a high end Electrolux, so this was a good 40 minutes of serious kneading.

3. Boil 'em. I saw an on-line recipe calling for 'no boil' bagels. That's like a no salt Margarita. You could do it, but it makes no sense. And I'm not talking about a 10 second dip. At least 5 minutes per side.

Oh, and I don't know how much it matters, but I did these right on the quary tile that lines the bottom of my oven, just like I make pizza, and am very happy with the resulting crust.

OK, recipe was easy - 3 cups bread flour, about 1.75 cups of water, a palmful of salt, and yeast. I bloomed the yeast first in some of the water, warmed and witha bit of sugar until foamy, then dump it in. Blooming yeast I just out of habit. I've skipped that step before and it works without it, so who knows - do what you like.

Kneed it like crazy, adding flour if it sticks to your hands. Keep kneading until the dough gets smooth and you can get a windowpane going. I'll warn you right now if you're doing it by hand it takes a long time. When it's looking smooth, stretch it into a ball, tucking the ends under itself, and plop it into a bowl and cover it with a wet washcloth. Plastic wrap would work just as well I imagine, but mama used a wet towel on her dough, so I do too.

About an hour later it will have doubled in size. Tear off 12 equal pieces. Roll em into snakes, and squeeze the ends together to form rings. Let them sit 10 minutes.

Bring a big old pot of water to a boil and turn the oven to 440. I read somewhere to add a big squirt of honey to the water. I have no idea what this is supposed to do, but I figured it couldn't hurt, so I did it.

When the water boils - bagels into the water. I used a wok, and could fit 5 at a time. They'll expand in the water. Flip after 5 minutes.

Out of the bath, I dipped one side in corn meal, the other side in toasted sesame seeds, then right into the oven. I flipped them when they got got some color - it didn't take long, 5 or 6 minutes I think.

Enjoy!
and so they arrive hot...I like um with cream cheese, Lox and capers..

Haven't something like that in years..

HW...

Old 10-05-2008, 09:53 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,408,855 times
Those look great! I made homemade bagels a few years ago with my bread machine, and boiled them of course. I used bread flour and they actually turned out really good... I was kinda shocked!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink