U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cream of _ soup, will it be used in a recipe?
I don't purchase "cream of" soups. 12 17.14%
I buy it, but only eat it as soup, never in recipes 2 2.86%
I buy it, sometimes in recipes, mainly as soup 8 11.43%
I buy it, mainly for recipes, sometimes as soup 9 12.86%
Almost always in recipes (over 90%) 39 55.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 06:39 PM

750 posts, read 2,633,034 times

Advertisements

I really dislike recipes with soup as an ingredient.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 06:49 PM

43,342 posts, read 54,034,313 times
I actually like cream of celery once in awhile, but basically I think they're all pretty gross. I use them in a few recipes, but I stay away from basing every casserole or meat dish on them. I doubt there's one drop of cream in them and the sodium level is downright scary.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:10 PM

18,285 posts, read 21,891,579 times
I use them for recipes but I have tried other store brands and they just don't add the same flavor as Campbells does to a recipe. Same with making the cream of soup myself. I also don't like the crazy high salt content and paying even more for the reduced sodium found they are not much better, I won't pay the extra for them now.

When Cambells first came out they marketed to the housewife that stayed at home as a cheaper & easier step to making long sauces for casseroles and such. Next to the working mom so she can save time in the kitchen to spend more time with the family. Then they come up with all these fine recipes (green bean casserole comes to mind) that hook families on them to serve it at holiday dinners. Families looooooooooooooooooove these dishes, want these dishes and expect these dishes when gathering correct? Now the cost of 1 can of cream of something is well over a dollar as opposed to under 40 cents just a few years ago. It is no longer a cheaper ingredient that saves steps. I have found in most casseroles or main dishes I can do my own sauces cheaper. But in some recipes no way no how will my family enjoy it as much as when I use Campbells.

Here is my huge dislike with Campbells it is in their packaging! Why on earth do we need a pull tab top??????? With the old type can having to use the can opener you would get every drop to slide right on out. Not now you have to fight scraping the smaller can then deal with the ridge from the pull tab. We all know about saving the labels for schools, which I think is nice of Campbells to do, but just last night I couldn't get the darn label off because of all the glue on 2 different cans!!! Is this to discourage us from saving them and turning them into our schools who turns them into Campbells for credit?

Old 10-07-2008, 07:27 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,663,795 times
Aside from the traditional cream of mushroom soup for green bean casserole, I use that and cream of chicken soup for a faux chicken enchilada casserole:

1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 can Cream of Chicken soup
1 8 oz. sour cream
Chicken
Tortilla chips

Boil chicken (I normally use individually frozen chicken thighs, boneless, skinless). Then cut into desired sizes (bite size or otherwise).

Mix soups and sour cream in a bowl. Add chicken and mix. Break up tortilla chips and mix into bowl. Once all combined, pour into baking dish. Back at 350 until heated through. Serve.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:33 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,724,374 times
Well, the early results are in, and they're pretty much exactly what I epected - y'all are buying a lot of soup that has no illusions of ever becoming soup.

That seems strange to me; I'm sure there are other examples of it out there - products sold as one thing only to be used in a different manner, but I can't think of one. Certainly none with numbers like Cream of Mushroom soup. I'd bet less than 10% of that gets made into soup.

So here's my next question - why not just make a mushroom bechamel sauce?

Is it the lack of time, lack of knowledge, ingredients?

Old 10-07-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
Well, the early results are in, and they're pretty much exactly what I epected - y'all are buying a lot of soup that has no illusions of ever becoming soup.

That seems strange to me; I'm sure there are other examples of it out there - products sold as one thing only to be used in a different manner, but I can't think of one. Certainly none with numbers like Cream of Mushroom soup. I'd bet less than 10% of that gets made into soup.

So here's my next question - why not just make a mushroom bechamel sauce?

Is it the lack of time, lack of knowledge, ingredients?

That is exactly what I do, homemade sauces all the way. Taste MUCH better and so much better for you

Old 10-07-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Aside from the traditional cream of mushroom soup for green bean casserole, I use that and cream of chicken soup for a faux chicken enchilada casserole:

1 8 oz. sour cream
Chicken
Tortilla chips

Boil chicken (I normally use individually frozen chicken thighs, boneless, skinless). Then cut into desired sizes (bite size or otherwise).

Mix soups and sour cream in a bowl. Add chicken and mix. Break up tortilla chips and mix into bowl. Once all combined, pour into baking dish. Back at 350 until heated through. Serve.

I am sorry, but the thought of not one but TWO cans of soup and sour cream...bleh. That dish sounds nasty and so unhealthy......nothing personal, I know that reads harsh..we all have our own tastes and that one just makes mine shrudder

Old 10-07-2008, 09:34 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,119,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
I use that and cream of chicken soup for a faux chicken enchilada casserole:

1 8 oz. sour cream
Chicken
Tortilla chips
This just isn't right! It sounds horrible. If you are going to have salt for dinner, why not just serve salt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I make a wicked cream of asparagus soup!
And that recipe would be.... ??? hmmm?

Old 10-07-2008, 09:40 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,663,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigansnowflake View Post
I am sorry, but the thought of not one but TWO cans of soup and sour cream...bleh. That dish sounds nasty and so unhealthy......nothing personal, I know that reads harsh..we all have our own tastes and that one just makes mine shrudder
None offense taken. I didn't say this was the healthiest meal, and this isn't the health and nutrician thread.

Oysters look nasty before people try them too. And there's other "anatomical" parts that people are glad we can get passed the "initial look" of!

Old 10-07-2008, 10:54 AM

4,809 posts, read 10,510,998 times
Default RE: Cream of Asparagus Soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post

And that recipe would be.... ??? hmmm?
You know, I don't think I have a recipe. I just cook the asparagus until it's tender but still bright green, drain it, puree it in a food processor, add it back to the pan and add chicken broth, half and half, a little butter and salt and pepper. I do everything to taste. The asparagus is fibrous enough that I don't even use flour. It's really yummy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink