U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cream of _ soup, will it be used in a recipe?
I don't purchase "cream of" soups. 12 17.14%
I buy it, but only eat it as soup, never in recipes 2 2.86%
I buy it, sometimes in recipes, mainly as soup 8 11.43%
I buy it, mainly for recipes, sometimes as soup 9 12.86%
Almost always in recipes (over 90%) 39 55.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 10:40 AM

849 posts, read 1,835,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
OK, stop - back up...dry mix?

Doesn't anyone make anything from scratch?

Take a quarter stick of butter, melt it in a small pot. This will be your roux.

In another pot, start heating up 3 cups of milk.

Chop up a handful of washed mushrooms. I like very small pieces - do whatever you like. Sautee the mushroom pieces in some butter and salt until soft.

When your roux butter is melted, with the heat on medium, get a whisk and start whisking in flour, a bit at a time, until you've got no lumps and a paste texture. Keep whisking it, watching the color go from white to yellow to light tan to tan. Take off the heat. Stir is the mushrooms, and then slowly mix in the hot milk, whisking as you add it. Hooray, cream uf mushroom soup.

10 minutes, max. No additives, you control the sodium, all fresh - easy!
I know how to make roux, white sauce, etc. Dry mix I use is part of my OAMC, which is pretty handy to have in my pantry. We are all full of grace here. Don't judge me because I'm lazy!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 11:36 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,721,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkzone View Post
IDry mix I use is part of my OAMC, which is pretty handy to have in my pantry.
Sorry, OAMC?

Really - not judging; just trying to figure out why perfectly rational people would buy a can of gloppy goop (or powdered mix in your case) instead of taking a few minutes to do it from scratch. It just doesn't make sense to me at all if you've got the skills and ingredients.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:18 PM

849 posts, read 1,835,416 times
I make the powdered dry mix to keep in my pantry, which I can use in place of canned cream of whatever mix. It's just handy. I know you are not judging. It was just a joke.
BTW, OAMC=Once a month cooking. It's something I do once in a while, so I have easy to fix meals in my freezer, which keeps me from running to fast foods or Chinese take out when I'm busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink