U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 09:50 AM

12,025 posts, read 15,636,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I hadn't thought of stocking up for Christmas baking, but with this Covid thing going on and we are just getting the stores re-stocked, maybe it would be a good idea this year to prepare in advance for the baking season, just in case.

One of our local markets always has a huge baking ingredient sale before Christmas, but perhaps it might be a mistake to count on that this year.

The folks from the heavily infected cities have been released to travel all over and, inevitably, some of them will be carrying Covid out and around the country, so it won't be surprising if there are some heavy outbreaks. I have no idea if that will lead, once again, to the unreasonable food hoarding.
I plan to buy early, this past holiday season I was unable to find the candied fruit for a fruitcake until just days before Christmas, which was just too late. The grocery store employee said there had been some sort of production problem and there was a nationwide shortage. I can only imagine what this year might bring in the way of shortages.
Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:23 PM

33,897 posts, read 62,865,801 times
I stock up slowly - a bag of raisins here, a sack of flour there. I don't make much - 2 or 3 types of cookies, date and pumpkin bread, and fruitcake. The fruitcake is the most ingredient-heavy item, requiring lots of dried fruits - and this year I'm going to need rum!

Old Today, 09:10 PM

1,152 posts, read 556,084 times
I've always stocked up on baking supplies when they go on a major sale. I typically buy 10 pound bags of Flour and sugar because I know I'll use them. I buy the brown sugar in the big packages at Costco too.

Then Covid-19 hit and thankfully I was smart enough before everything went bare to buy a 25lb bag of flour at Costco. Now I won't ever go back to just the 10lb bags. I also now have a large stash of yeast which I didn't have before Covid-19, but after everyone and their sister started baking bread and yeast became scarce I've learned I need to stock up on that also.

For holiday baking I should be fine. I have all the staples well supplied. I will need more chocolate though, white chocolate, Hersey kisses and the like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink