Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 08:04 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,949,050 times

Advertisements

Okay... years ago I got the Ron Popeil rotisserie machine. Since then, I have tried a handful of times to make a good chicken, but I constantly fail. The chicken turns out fine (moist, cooked through, etc.) but the flavors stink.

I've tried flavor injectors, but the problem I have is that with the injectors, you get a LOT of flavors in one area (almost overpowering), while the next bite over, there's almost no flavor. Maybe I'm going too deep or not deep enough with the injector?

I've tried rubs (over the skin, under the skin), but I still can't get a good flavor. For those in Texas, if you've had H-E-B rotisserie chicken, I'd love to get a flavor like that. Some sort of good barbeque, hickory, mesquite, or original flavor. My wife won't eat a lemon herb so that's out.

Does anyone have a good recipe or technique that works? I'd love to make a rotisserie chicken more often (even using cornish hens, maybe). But until I can get it with a good flavor, the rotisserie sits in my pantry closet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 08:19 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,058,606 times
How about you ask the friendly folks at HEB what they do - it probably comes in a ready mix and they'll have no idea - but worth a try!!!

I buy their chicken too and it is incredibly good.

In fact, I'm gonna ask them too!!!

Old 10-08-2008, 08:25 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,225 times
Honestly, my best advice is to start with the best chicken possible. I think there is a huge difference in flavor between the pastured, insect eating, frog chasing chicken I get at the farmer's market and one of the commercial battery cage ones.

I season the skin with all manner of herbs, but I don't think that really makes much difference, I just like eating the crunchy bits of skin, and it's pretty and it sure smells nice when it's cooking.

Something you could try would be stuffing the cavity with onions, apples, carrot and celery, herbs- aromatic stuff.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:25 AM

746 posts, read 2,176,006 times
We have an old horizontal rotesserie that we use. I use a simple seasoning mix such as Lawry's seasoning. The key is to season the inside of the bird as well as the outside. I used to work in a grocery store deli and their spice mix was pretty similar. Just clean the bird, season the inside of the bird. Secure it on the rotisserie rod. Season the outside, and let it cook, slowly and evenly. Make sure the tray in the bottom has some water in it and you're good to go.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:43 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
You got suckered into buying one of those ! We bake our chickens after a quick brine, perfect every time. If you can do without the crispy skin try baking a chicken upside down. Try it and you'll see why cooking it upside down makes the breast meat as tender and tasty as the other meat.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:58 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,058,606 times
Did anyone ever own or use a 'chicken brick' - those terracotta pots in two parts - that was a wonderful way to cook chicken!!!

Old 10-13-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
How about you ask the friendly folks at HEB what they do - it probably comes in a ready mix and they'll have no idea - but worth a try!!!

I buy their chicken too and it is incredibly good.

In fact, I'm gonna ask them too!!!

Well.. HEB wouldn't cough up the recipe (I really didn't expect them to). So, I'm back to trying to figure it out on my own. A couple good ideas here to try (like inside the bird, too). We'll see how it turns out. If anyone else has a good way to even flavor the bird, please don't hesitate to "chirp" in!

Old 10-13-2008, 10:29 AM

849 posts, read 1,952,678 times
I would brine the chicken first. I always brine chicken/turkey before I roast them.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkzone View Post
I would brine the chicken first. I always brine chicken/turkey before I roast them.
I know what brining is, but what, exactly, does it do for the chicken?

Old 10-13-2008, 12:13 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,848,116 times
Rath-believe that's the way Costco and Sams does theirs. Brine first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink