U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 02:35 PM

476 posts, read 2,557,422 times

Advertisements

Of senegal or other.
Everobody like african food in US ( perhaps more the african americans )?. Are succes these restaurant ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 02:55 PM

725 posts, read 2,014,052 times
Ummm, I'm not sure what you mean.
But I think lots of African Americans here (descendent's of slaves in US) eat Soul food.

If you're talking about recent immigrants from Africa, and their food, its different from that. In NYC theres a lot of African cuisine restaurants.
In my area its particularly Nigerian or Egyptian, and yeah those restaurants are busy all the time. So they must be a success.

Hope I answered your question

Old 10-11-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveChick View Post
Ummm, I'm not sure what you mean.
But I think lots of African Americans here (descendent's of slaves in US) eat Soul food.

If you're talking about recent immigrants from Africa, and their food, its different from that. In NYC theres a lot of African cuisine restaurants.
In my area its particularly Nigerian or Egyptian, and yeah those restaurants are busy all the time. So they must be a success.

Hope I answered your question
I asked if others persons liked this food,perhaps the african americans like too this food

Old 10-11-2008, 03:34 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,202,065 times
I used to live near some Ethiopian restaurants and they were wonderful. I saw Caucasians, African Americans, and Asians there, too, so it seems we as a nation enjoy Ethiopian food. I've had Moroccan food before and that was wonderful, but it was in a private home, so I can only speak for myself.

As the previous poster mentioned, in NYC you'll find far more diversity in African cuisine. Many Americans (of all backgrounds) have been raised on a variety of food from different cultures, so I bet African food would be generally well-received. Certainly in New York, but also in Chicago and many cities on the west coast.

Old 10-11-2008, 04:47 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,499,646 times
Just ate at an Ethiopian restaurant in Tucson and it was yummy! I think African restuarants would only do well in large cities, though--at least at this time. However, I really don't think there is one particular ethnicity that would eat it more than another.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Just ate at an Ethiopian restaurant in Tucson and it was yummy! I think African restuarants would only do well in large cities, though--at least at this time. However, I really don't think there is one particular ethnicity that would eat it more than another.

Why only do well in large cities ?

Old 10-11-2008, 05:21 PM

Generally it's a copious food :fresh fish,prawn with banana or rice ,avocado salad

Old 10-11-2008, 07:41 PM
miu

17,639 posts, read 37,734,050 times
I went to an Ethiopian restaurant in New Haven, CT once. It was very good. For ethnic food, I prefer Indian and Japanese though. I'm Chinese, so of course I love Chinese food. lol

Old 10-11-2008, 09:38 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,035,150 times
Part of the issue is that in some small towns in rural areas fresh ingredients are not always readily available, and some ingredients may not be available at all.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:46 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,499,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxs78 View Post
Why only do well in large cities ?
Because there is a larger population to draw from. Many people are afraid to try new cusiunes. There isn't a wide selection of ethnic restaurants in rural America, so those populations are going to be less adventurous on average. Plus, there will be several already-established restaurants in the area. How often are people going to eat out? And when they do, how often are they going to go to your restuarant?

A larger population means more people going out to eat each night, hence a larger portion of people more likely to eat at your restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink