Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 03:12 PM

257 posts, read 1,080,901 times

Advertisements

Ok......here is the story I am originally from WI, and they have bakeries in their grocery stores that are made daily right there and have the options of creme filled, peanut squares, persians....long johns, the whole works, plus we have independant bakeries that sell homemade goodies. I live in the south, and we have crispy creme and dunkin donuts..........whoopie!!! I have tried to get the stores up there to send me some of their homemade luscious goodies to no avail..........What do I do? I can't just drive home 18hours when I need a good old fashioned donut, I especially crave the peanut persians, and the creme filled long johns, down here people have no clue what either of those are.......LOL.

Anyone else have that dilemna? How do I go about getting these treats where I live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 03:20 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putty View Post
Anyone else have that dilemna? How do I go about getting these treats where I live?
I know your dilemma well. In Ft. Wayne, Indiana there are the absolute best coney island hot dogs that we would always eat when we visited my grandparents. When I go to Indy to see my parents I drive two hours to Ft. Wayne and get a few dozen to freeze. I did ask if they ship and they do next day air.

You might contact a manager at the grocery store and see if they can ship some out to you maybe next day air for freshness. Is that even in Hudson, Wis? I live in the Twin Cities and we love going to The Dells during the summer months.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:36 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,229,188 times
Do the bakeries in your grocery stores not have what you are looking for? Sometimes, if you ask they will make them for you. It may just be that these items generally do not sell well and they are only made when someone asks. I know my Publix bakery here will make me cherry chocolate chip bread (awesome toasted with butter!), but it was made every day at the store where I used to live.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:40 PM

Ohhhh I miss Publix! We lived in Kissimmee, Florida and used to shop at Publix all the time. We stayed away from Piggly Wiggly...mostly 'cause it was a dirty store. Publix made the absolute best sub sandwiches!! Oh and awesome donuts too. And I agree, I'd think they'd want to keep customers happy. You should see if they have a suggestion box...or talk to someone from the bakery when they're filling the bread bins.

Old 02-14-2007, 04:02 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,984,566 times
I love Dunkin Donuts! But I have to drive 50 miles to Branson to get them Here we have Krispy Kreme...which to me are like little air mattress discs covered in sickenly sweet glaze that makes my teeth ring and my boompah squirt after three hours (I know the visual is gross) .
I love custard filled chocolate bars, but they're hard to find. Our big grocery stores do have donuts you can pick out of the cases and they're usually pretty good.

Old 02-14-2007, 04:58 PM

23,014 posts, read 34,374,307 times
I LOVE Krispy Kream donuts MoMark. We can't get them anywhere in Texas anymore When we were in North Carolina I bet a ate three dozen

Old 02-14-2007, 05:17 PM

569 posts, read 1,228,989 times
Thumbs up "Hot Donuts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I LOVE Krispy Kream donuts MoMark. We can't get them anywhere in Texas anymore When we were in North Carolina I bet a ate three dozen
There is nothing better, when heading to work in the A.M., than seeing the "Hot Donuts" sign lit up at the local Krispy Kreme!

Old 02-14-2007, 06:03 PM

Yep, we have them here in Minnesota too. Had one of the chocolate ones yesterday for a co-workers b'day. YUM!!

Old 02-14-2007, 07:39 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,206,581 times
Default Best glazed donuts ever

Many years ago I tended bar next door to a little donut shop. Just as the bar was closing, the first batch of glazed donuts was rolling out- yum!

Krispy Kreme and Dunkin Donut are okay, but nothing is better than that little shop. And now I have learned of one in Jacksonville, FL and their glazed are hard to pass up! I haven't even tried any of the others that they make- you can't beat perfection!

Old 02-14-2007, 09:33 PM

5,761 posts, read 11,363,264 times
Putty, if you lived here in Southern Cal you would be hurtin real bad. I don't see many donut places around my area, but this is California and they might have passed an anti-donut ordinance already. Heck, the town where I work just passed an "anti-barking" ordinance against doggies who like to sound off. I'm not a donut fan myself, but I think I saw a pink pastry box at the office a few weeks ago that had had some of those round things in it. A little tip in case you come out this way for a visit, I don't recommend going into a store and asking for a creme filled long john or a peanut persian. I'm not sure what those things are myself, but I just wouldn't want you to run into any trouble with the law (Orange County sheriffs, often spotted at the local Starbucks or Dietrichs coffee sipping tall cafe lattes, looking a bit like the cast of Reno 911).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink