Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 07:38 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,158,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
Homemade chicken soup
ginger ale
saltines
hot toddies for colds w/ a bit of whiskey and lemon
My mother told me that when her and her sisters and brothers were sick as children, my grandmother would give them a shot of whiskey. yuck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 08:11 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,947,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1986 View Post
Chicken Noodle Soup...and saltine crackers
And a side of 7-UP or Sprite
We must be related, MJ. Growing up, it was chicken noodle soup (Lipton's packaged stuff). Then that was one of the times my mom let us have soda. And it had to be clear (7-Up or Sprite). No dark soda.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:43 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,681,822 times
Growing up my family always made dry toast and ginger ale. As an adult I got spoiled by my Great Aunt's Matzah Ball Soup. All I had to do was mention I was coming down with something and this tiny little lady got in her enormous car and drove a big tupperware bowl of it over to me. Sadly she passed away a month ago and as I had a brief flu bug a couple of weeks later, the first thing I did was pick up the phone to call her. Thankfully I caught myself before her son picked up the phone but the instinct is still there I suppose.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:49 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
I have to have diet 7up, and lots and lots of it, any time I have a sore throatey type bug.

It is my panacea.

The BEST soup for a cold is Thai Tom Yum soup. The way I make it, it is full of lime juice (vitamin C), hot peppers (sinus clearing), and shrimp and mushrooms (yummy).

Old 10-16-2008, 10:21 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
Regular sick...chicken noodle soup, crackers and 7 up.

If it's my sinuses, fresh fruit and lots of it.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:40 AM

849 posts, read 1,952,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
Growing up my family always made dry toast and ginger ale. As an adult I got spoiled by my Great Aunt's Matzah Ball Soup. All I had to do was mention I was coming down with something and this tiny little lady got in her enormous car and drove a big tupperware bowl of it over to me. Sadly she passed away a month ago and as I had a brief flu bug a couple of weeks later, the first thing I did was pick up the phone to call her. Thankfully I caught myself before her son picked up the phone but the instinct is still there I suppose.
I'm sorry for your loss. Sounds like she was such a sweet person. I'm sure nothing compares to her soup.

As for sick food in our family:
My hubby, 7UP
Kids, toast and soup
Me, Japanese style rice porridge

Old 10-16-2008, 10:44 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,739,063 times
depending on what hurts but
tea
ginger ale
toast
chicken soup
I stomach then white rice with butter salt and pepper
sherbet for sore throat
respritory= apricot brandy

Old 10-16-2008, 12:28 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,942,261 times
For the flu, we always had Campbell's chicken noodle soup and saltines. 7-Up or Sprite as well!

Old 10-16-2008, 12:39 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times
If it is belly sick... Thin Pretzels and Coke

Colds... we got anything we wanted... usually a stash of tapioca pudding and potato chips followed by a run to McDonalds and a movie (rented on video of our choosing) with candy and popcorn for munching.... being sick with a cold we got whatever we wanted in our house... same for my kids....

Old 10-16-2008, 01:00 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,681,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkzone View Post
I'm sorry for your loss. Sounds like she was such a sweet person. I'm sure nothing compares to her soup.

Thanks Nikkzone. She was a really awesome lady who was adored by everyone who knew her. And boy could she talk your ear off lol. I need to get that recipe from her son. She wasn't Jewish but even her Jewish friends thought she made the best Matzah Ball soup. She was quite proud of that.

Another drink I would have when I had a cold was some super strong Ginger tea that a Haitian friend made and said was very popular in Haiti and has stuck with me years later. Didn't taste very good but was so strong it cleared your sinus's up in an instant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink