Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 01:39 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,683,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
Were do you eat? What is a restarant that fits your class?
How do you "plan better?" Don't be on the road at a meal time? Bring something from home? Plan the trip so you can stop somewhere that is acceptable to your class level?

Do the people in your class level, know you think of yourself as one of them?
I plan better by making a lunch at home and brining it on our long drives or making sure to eat before we go. I think that is a pretty average decision though. Yes, sometimes we will plan to stop somewhere between both cities where the food may be "fast", but the restaurant cooks healthful dishes with fresh and local foods.

My husband and I, or with friends, will plan to go out to dinner at local establishments, we don't really eat at chains. I consider chains like Friday's or Olive Garden at the top of the "fast food" like category.

By "class level", I suppose I am referring to a person who is educated and employed or at least has a livable wage and an education.

So, because I am educated and have a great job and comfortable life in general, I am able to say - read a book or the newspaper during leisure time.

I would not think that someone who is not educated and has to work two jobs or work many shift to get by has the time to read the paper or read books let alone subscribe to a newspaper or magazine because of the price.

So because I have the extra time and resources, I am aware of the fast food industry, their products, the waste they produce, their nasty marketing campaigns and of course - the horrible ingredients and near slave labor that some establishments have been accused of either here in America or through out the world.

Therefor, I choose to spend my money and my time for entertainment somewhere else.

I eat maybe 19 of the 21 meals in a week at or from home. When I go out to eat, I am there to enjoy myself and for the ambiance.

A single mother with a high school education working two jobs and taking care of a few kids only is thinking of feeding her family quickly and cheaply because she does not have the time or money to have an entertaining meal and does not have the time to read about the topics I mentioned.

There is a clear connection between class and choosing to eat at fast food restaurants. At least a connection regarding education level.

And do people in my class level know that I think of myself as one of them? I don't understand the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 02:19 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,473,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
The ones around me now are gross, every table dirty always, uncontrollable kids, employees digging stuff from their ear and nose in full view but then thats normal here. About the closest thing to fast food I eat anymore is Chili's. When I leave the area in a few years and I'm back in Fla I'll feel safer. If you've ever traveled through SC before and seen how filthy a fast food place can be, its about that way here. Columbia SC has my vote for the worst.
Thanx for the heads up...where is this in Tennessee?(for future reference)

Old 10-21-2008, 03:36 PM

4,739 posts, read 8,375,359 times
Right on the TN/VA border.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:04 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,473,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
Right on the TN/VA border.
Would it be Bristol by any chance? I've been through there on the interstate but never stopped in,although I think I did stop for gas one nite on the VA side. Then it was onto Gatlinburg,near Knoxville...which is another place I haven't heard such great stuff about either.
Anyplace in TN that is good btw?

Old 10-22-2008, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Would it be Bristol by any chance? I've been through there on the interstate but never stopped in,although I think I did stop for gas one nite on the VA side. Then it was onto Gatlinburg,near Knoxville...which is another place I haven't heard such great stuff about either.
Anyplace in TN that is good btw?
Yes I'm in Bristol. We have a place called the Stateline Bar And Grill that has an ever changing menu and a chef from out of the area, nice place in the historic part of Bristol. Out of the entire state Nashville and Memphis have the best Restaurants.
Gatlinburg is the minimum wage capital of the state so yes its difficult finding decent food, its more hype than it is anything else. I enjoy getting a cabin and unwinding but most of the attractions there are just a cheap mock up of true theme parks and resorts anywhere else in the country. Its like the Myrtle Beach of ocean front communities. It stays busy though attracting first timers from out of the area and a lot of people from within the state that can't afford to go anywhere else. I've driven through there and seen signs on motels offering $29 a night accommodations. Where else in the country can you find that. lol

Old 10-22-2008, 09:28 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
The simple tastes explained:

People that eat crap food like that which is loaded with salt and sugars (processed) kill thier taste buds. Anyone that cleared the junk out of thier diet can tell you how strange it is to taste the same food but have it taste absolutely different when eating in a more healthy manner. I had a roomate who was a junk food freak and a half...We were making steaks for the day on the grill. (bought one for everyone) and he proceeds to tell me he never had steak! The hamburger addict never had steak!
So anyway grilled and set and ready to go...he takes a bite...then proceeds to put the steak in bread and drown it with heinz 57....as the ketchup went on three people screamed "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" all at the same time...what a waste!
You should of seen him trying proc. wrapped asparg. with a side of brie...He acted like it was a science lab and...dipped them in ketchup..GAG

Old 10-22-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
The simple tastes explained:

People that eat crap food like that which is loaded with salt and sugars (processed) kill thier taste buds. Anyone that cleared the junk out of thier diet can tell you how strange it is to taste the same food but have it taste absolutely different when eating in a more healthy manner. I had a roomate who was a junk food freak and a half...We were making steaks for the day on the grill. (bought one for everyone) and he proceeds to tell me he never had steak! The hamburger addict never had steak!
So anyway grilled and set and ready to go...he takes a bite...then proceeds to put the steak in bread and drown it with heinz 57....as the ketchup went on three people screamed "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" all at the same time...what a waste!
You should of seen him trying proc. wrapped asparg. with a side of brie...He acted like it was a science lab and...dipped them in ketchup..GAG
Its true, a lot of them don't know any better though. Funny when they start passing kidney stones from taking in so much processed junk foods. I know a women here thats back at the Dr's at least once a year...gobble gobble!...lol

Old 10-22-2008, 11:16 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
And I know dozens, if not hundreds, of people who eat processed food (most people in this country do, in fact) who never get a kidney stone. And I know people who have had them who have had extremely "sophisticated" palates by most standards.

Why is it so necessary to judge others (as the poster earlier on said, I am SO over judgmental people!) if their choices, or possibilities, aren't the same as yours? What is gained by it? Seems to me that that (as with most snobbism) indicates a certain amount of insecurity with one's own choices if they have to be shored up on being judgmental of those who make, or are limited to, different ones or who have different tastes. (Of course, that's a pretty judgmental statement itself, I acknowledge.)

Old 10-22-2008, 11:18 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
Excess salt can cause kidney stones. ITs a fact. ANd its kinda dumb to do. Like smoking after you had survived breast cancer.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:40 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,683,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And I know dozens, if not hundreds, of people who eat processed food (most people in this country do, in fact) who never get a kidney stone. And I know people who have had them who have had extremely "sophisticated" palates by most standards.

Why is it so necessary to judge others (as the poster earlier on said, I am SO over judgmental people!) if their choices, or possibilities, aren't the same as yours? What is gained by it? Seems to me that that (as with most snobbism) indicates a certain amount of insecurity with one's own choices if they have to be shored up on being judgmental of those who make, or are limited to, different ones or who have different tastes. (Of course, that's a pretty judgmental statement itself, I acknowledge.)
People who eat and support these dirty fast food companies hurt us all. You can see my post above.

The amount of trash, waste (both fecal from the factory farms and the food wrappers), the exhaust from transport, the near slave labor.

I am disturbed that people support them by spendig their dollars at these establishments but I also recognize the place they have in the ecomonic chain that's economics for yah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink