Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 11:54 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,683,453 times

Advertisements

I very rarely go for fast food as I think most of it is gross but sometimes I do have to stop in for something quick. Thankfully that is only a few times a year. Anyway, in my town I wouldn't say that the people inside were low class. Most of them drive nice vehicles, dress nice, etc. The only thing that stands out is that most of them are rather large. Now I could really care less about them but it does burn my butt when they have children there that are also very large. I know it is none of my business but I can't imagine how much those kids get picked on for being fat let alone being unhealthy. Of course that seems so much more prevelant today than when I was growing up. Shoot, I am only 36, grew up in Miami and went to Coral Reef Elementary which was K-5 and there were only two overweight kids in the whole school, one of whom was just a big girl who went through puberty only! Of course back then going to BK of McDonalds was a once in a blue moon treat not an everyday thing. So sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 04:40 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
People who eat and support these dirty fast food companies hurt us all. You can see my post above.

The amount of trash, waste (both fecal from the factory farms and the food wrappers), the exhaust from transport, the near slave labor.

I am disturbed that people support them by spendig their dollars at these establishments but I also recognize the place they have in the ecomonic chain that's economics for yah!
CR1039, your posts simply amaze me. I am just amazed by your thinking. "WOW!" Is all I have to say.

Thanks cr, you have truely opened my eyes.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:50 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
People who eat and support these dirty fast food companies hurt us all. You can see my post above.

The amount of trash, waste (both fecal from the factory farms and the food wrappers), the exhaust from transport, the near slave labor.
All the excess and unneccessary consumption of food and drink (among other items) costs more than waste and health, it is also a huge waste of precious water.

Fast food is a big user/waster of virtual water - so is coffee Behind that morning cup of coffee, there are 140 liters of water that was consumed to grow, produce, package and ship the beans.

To produce a single hamburger, an estimated 2,400 liters of water are needed.

Virtual water - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The USA is using twice the global average of water per capita, per year

Waterfootprint.org: Water footprint and virtual water

Old 10-22-2008, 09:31 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Fast food is a big user/waster of virtual water - so is coffee Behind that morning cup of coffee, there are 140 liters of water that was consumed to grow, produce, package and ship the beans.
Not to mention the way it can dehydrate you and how much water you need to drink to replace it.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
All the excess and unneccessary consumption of food and drink (among other items) costs more than waste and health, it is also a huge waste of precious water.

To produce a single hamburger, an estimated 2,400 liters of water are needed.

Virtual water - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The USA is using twice the global average of water per capita, per year

Waterfootprint.org: Water footprint and virtual water
I never heard of virtual water till now. Interesting reading.

Wouldn't an other restaurant that feeds the same amount of people/day use about the same amount? How about our own kitchens? I'm not defending f.food, just curious.

later SD

Old 10-23-2008, 08:12 AM

625 posts, read 1,586,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Excess salt can cause kidney stones. ITs a fact. ANd its kinda dumb to do. Like smoking after you had survived breast cancer.
Kidney stones are usually a formation of calcium. Heredity can have something to do with it. Some people have higher quantities of calcium in their urine and this can be passed from generation to generation. Some people have a harder time metabolizing chemicals such as the amino acid cystine, oxalate ( a type of salt), uric acid and so forth. These are more susceptible to stone formation. A change in dietary intake can have an effect on these people, but it will have little effect on those who are not susceptible.Also there are some regional factors. hotter climates, like the southern states tend to have higher quantity of stone formations. This is not because of food type, it is because of dehydration being more prevailent, the urine thickens and allows solids to bond more easily.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:27 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Excess salt can cause kidney stones. ITs a fact. ANd its kinda dumb to do. Like smoking after you had survived breast cancer.
Interesting. I'm the one who cooks with less salt than I like so that the rest of my family can enjoy their food, then puts lots of salt on mine because I crave it. They're the ones who got kidney stones (and have not had the usually-expected recurrence of them in the last 7 years, by the way).

The craving salt thing is interesting. I've done an informal survey over the past decade or so. I have low-normal blood pressure - my white coat (doctor's office, thus usually higher due to circumstances) readings have usually come in at about 100 over 60. I eat salt all the time. Whenever I run into someone who turns out to have the same blood pressure levels that I do, it turns out that they, too, crave salt. My theory is that we're all trying desperately to stay conscious! (We discovered I have naturally low blood pressure when I passed out a couple of times in high school.) Seriously, I do know that salt only effects the blood pressure of those people who are susceptible to it, and it doesn't anyone else, but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

I do know more than I ever wanted to know about kidney stones, being of an investigatory nature and researching anything that impacts my life to a ridiculous degree. But thanks for the theory, anyway.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:34 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,684,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post

Wouldn't an other restaurant that feeds the same amount of people/day use about the same amount? How about our own kitchens? I'm not defending f.food, just curious.

later SD
local establishments that purchase in season produce from local farmers most likely don't use as much water as chains that ship in non-native, out of season fruits and veggies

Old 10-23-2008, 08:37 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post

later SD
Something to do with the amount of waste I believe - the details are in one of the articles on the virtual water site.

Fast food uses a lot more transportation and packaging, plus 'fast food' is usually pre-cooked but then routinely thrown away if not purchased. Independent restaurants and home kitchens have more control over food decisions, eg. they may only cook to order; and they can re-use unused food in another dish (unused steak for shepherds pie etc).

Using a dishwasher to wash plates can actually use less water than the manufacture of 'disposable' ones.

Another waste factor of fast food is the unpleasant reality that many meals, drinks, desserts etc from these places are eaten as extra 'snacks' - not as necessary meals.

You can work out your own footprint of use with this Waterfootprint.org: Water footprint and virtual water

BTW Have we hijacked the thread?

Old 10-23-2008, 08:52 AM

Very good points Cr & SD, thank you both.

I do believe your right SD, guess we should either start a new thread or get back to the OP's question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink