Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 08:56 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times

Advertisements

We have never used anything like that and I have no idea if we ever will. The only thing I have delivered to our home is pizza and that is only if I am too sick to drive the 1/2 mile into town to pick it up myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 09:11 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
I have used produce and meat co-ops. And even had milk delivered. My favorite was the lettuce farm and we got amazing microgreens from there. The meat were also excellent as it was grass fed and only organic methods were used. But I did find a processing plant close by and now buy in bulk from them.

I would ensure that the deliveries are from the farms themselves and not a pricey middle man. The prices are then excellent and my funds are being used to support their farms directly. Heck the farms even ask if you would like to volunteer in weeding/seeding/farm work and you get produce for in exchange. My kids love doing farm work for a half day to learn.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:13 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,119,222 times
Nope. I don't even have pizza delivered.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:13 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Only the pizza guy.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:14 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
We have never used anything like that and I have no idea if we ever will. The only thing I have delivered to our home is pizza and that is only if I am too sick to drive the 1/2 mile into town to pick it up myself.
good for you, I would keep it that way. I just get weak once in awhile and I fall for something. I will say,having produce delivered was kinda fun. But as I mentioned, it was a mixed experience. Some of it was good and I don't think over priced; some was anything but fresh organic and way over the top in price, plus I felt I had to tip the delivery guy. At least what is coming today, is coming Fed EX so I don't have to tip. I also have 15 bottles of wine coming today: Happy weekend. At least if we get storms tonight, like predicted we will be able to eat and drink.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:35 PM

569 posts, read 671,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
good for you, I would keep it that way. I just get weak once in awhile and I fall for something. I will say,having produce delivered was kinda fun. But as I mentioned, it was a mixed experience. Some of it was good and I don't think over priced; some was anything but fresh organic and way over the top in price, plus I felt I had to tip the delivery guy. At least what is coming today, is coming Fed EX so I don't have to tip. I also have 15 bottles of wine coming today: Happy weekend. At least if we get storms tonight, like predicted we will be able to eat and drink.
This is what I want to do when finances have a bit more wiggle room. I love the idea of having a box of organic seasonal veggies delivered. Figure it is a really good way to try things I have never had as well as support the local farmers. Due to my weird work hours I can never make the local farmers market which bums me out! I am also always tempted to buy off QVC but never do it (too much money). I was given some of the Cheryl's cookies and the caramel apples (Mrs. Prindables?) which were REALLY good (both things) but looking at the prices I would never spend it on myself.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:15 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Nope! No food delivered to my home. Eat out ( sit down place, not drive-thru and eat in the car! ) or cook at home.

Produce delivered is maybe fun, but I like to select my own, in person. See-touch-smell, then buy. That's MORE fun

Old 05-31-2013, 07:15 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I know there are all kinds of home delivery companies, but I am not talking about ones that delivery pre-pared meals, that is something different. I am talking local produce companies that deliver or the meat and seafood places you find on the internet.

Here has been our experience: Recently, I got 50% off from one of those on line, coupon companies, so I ordered some local or supposedly locally fresh: well it was hit or miss: I was happy because I had gotten what appeared to be a good price, but had I paid full price I would have been really upset.

Now I am waiting for a deliverer from a crab company in Md, it should arrive this PM> Again, 1/2 price plus free delivery. I will update you this evening or tomorrow. Our daughter has ordered things like this for us in the past. It has always been overpriced in my estimation. I know some people can afford it, but normally we can't. Even at 1/2 price todays order was a real splurge.
if seafood, ALWAYS ask country of origin..

Old 05-31-2013, 07:33 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Pizza only.

I wish Taco Bell delivered!!

Old 06-01-2013, 03:41 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
A number of years ago we used Schwans, but no more. I do order pizza now and then from a local place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink