Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 06:29 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I have ordered food online from my local grocery chain (pea pod) wasn't impressed, the second time I ordered they forgot 6 items, so I had to go out and get those. I was refunded the money for items lost. I prefer to go to the store and see what I am buying, especially meats and produce. I also live within 1 mile of 3 major grocery stores.
That was the hottest thing in Chicago for a while - ordering groceries on-line. While the delivery was "free", the prices were higher than Jewel and Dominicks, which are just one step lower than Whole Food.

I ended up never ordering from Peapod and ended up at the local independent markets.

My friends CLAIMED that the service was great as they "didn't have time to head to the grocery store." My take has always been that if you are too busy to the grocery store, you are just too busy. I reminded that many stores were open 24 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 12:45 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
well it arrived ok and we had part of it for dinner on Saturday night. The shrimp was great, the crab, so so. I hadn't had Md Crab for years and had forgotten what they were like: I will take Dungeness or King Crab thank you. Well, lesson learned; I think I can safely say, other than wine and maybe the fresh produce, I will stick with shopping at the grocery store, Sam's and the farmers markets.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:03 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
I don't do any of those, mainly because I live in Kansas City and I didn't even know about Kansas City Steak Company till I saw an ad for it. Maybe their steaks are good, but I don't know ANYONE in Kansas City who gets their meat from there. If I lived outside of Kansas City and were going to have steak shipped to me from Kansas City, I'd get it from McGonigle's or Hereford House. Better yet I'd find meat from a place more local to me. Like here in Kansas City, the store where I shop gets its meat from Good Natured Family Farms, and the meat is antibiotic free, hormone free, grass fed, and local.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:16 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,003,004 times
of course: I BBQ the dinner outside and she told me what to make and then I (DELIVER) it to the
table...
We are about 85 miles from anything that is considered delivered...

HW

Old 06-03-2013, 04:09 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
the only meat i've had delivered was some road-kill deer and moose from wardens-when i use to cut up wild game

Old 06-08-2013, 08:45 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times
If you have the freezer space it is much better to order a 1/4 or 1/2 mixed lot beef than to order from Omaha steaks. I have a real small chest freezer and try to order a 1/4 beef once a year. The meat is so much better than the grocery stores.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:31 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Here is another place that I have used to ship meats to friends and family:

Harrington's of Vermont

Old 03-09-2014, 02:47 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Default Ever hear of Blue Apron (food delivery service)?

Have any of you ever heard of a food delivery service called Blue Apron? I saw an ad for it on Facebook and after visiting their website, I'm curious to try it out. Basically, it is a service that delivers all the ingredients you need to make balanced meals along with recipe cards. They have mixed reviews on Yelp but most of the negative reviews has to do with delivery issues and lack of info regarding the origins of the food items (two of which concern me). From the reviews, they provide lots of variety and many ethnic dishes are included. I know that I need to start cooking more and eating better quality food but would like to hear from others before trying this service out.

Blue Apron: All the ingredients you need to cook a meal.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:32 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,951,681 times
Never heard of it (Texas isn't on their map). I guess it could be convenient, but I've never had a problem planning meals or buying groceries, myself. I would rather buy my meats & vegetables processed locally (another reason I don't shop for food at Walmart), with few exceptions--wild salmon, king crab, etc.

Even though I don't really have a "budget" per se, I would think this would end up being exceptionally expensive. JMHO. Maybe some folks who've tried it or a similar service can help you out.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:42 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Thanks for your input hellpaso ... It is an expensive service and I would rather purchase items locally. Since I don't have a car and can only go to grocery store once maybe twice per week, this appeals to me. Also, when I buy my own fresh stuff to cook, I tend to have lots of it go to waste whereas this service gives you portions for 2 servings. Yeah ... I could cook in bulk and freeze my foods but never been a fan of leftovers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink