Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 06:51 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,949,709 times

Advertisements

As many others have said, it depends on the type of restaurant. Here in my town in Texas, we have several steak houses (surprise, surprise). I will normally rotate through all of them until I find one that does two things: first, is consistent in the way they cook (I hate ordering "medium" and getting "medium rare" one time and "well done" the next); and, secondly, one that flavors things the way I prefer.

For local Mom & Pop places, even in cities/towns I may be driving through or visiting, I look for the ones with the most cars. I figure the local people pack the place for a reason. Rarely have I found this method inaccurate. If there are few cars at a place, there's a reason.

Other than that, it's word of mouth... but that's not always good since the person telling me of the restaurant may have different tastes, but I'd be more inclined to go if I heard good things about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 11:16 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,377 times
Since moving to Denver, we rarely eat at chains. There are so many independent places here to eat and enjoy instead. I use a website called yelp.com to read reviews from other people and look up new places to try. There are still so many places to check out!!

If we go back to a restaurant again, it is usually because of location, food quality, atmosphere, and budget. We have Italian, Vietnamese, Chinese, Mexican, Peruvian, Thai, French, and American restuarants all within a 5 minute walk from our house so I feel spoiled by yummy choices.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:27 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,683,716 times
healthful options, great service, ambiance and a place where we most likely wont have to sit near children or families! A bar helps too.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:11 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
We run the gamut. Sometimes, when I want a big yummy salad, I want to go to Ruby Tuesday's salad bar. I also LOVE the pecan encrusted chicken salad at TGIF. Sometimes I want the lasagna at Olive Garden. When traveling I look for a family owned place that makes the native specialties.
But when I want gourmet, I want everything freshly prepared on premises, white tablecloths and the perfect martini. I also don't want it to be so noisy that I can't even talk to the person across from me...or so dark that I can't read the menu.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:01 AM

3,734 posts, read 4,546,558 times
I mostly go by reviews (local newspapers & magazines, TV news, Zagat's) and recommendations. However, if I see a restaurant that consistently has long lines, I'll usually try it. I prefer an independent, ethnic restaurant over anything else.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:27 PM

625 posts, read 1,586,173 times
[quote=RHB;5808217]There has been a couple of resturant threads, as to what is acceptable, what "class" they are, food qualities etc...So how do you pick the ones that you eat at?
quote]
First I prefer to go to ones with that can spell everything correctly...If the sign says " Resturant" I go right on by. I can only imagine the menu:

Fryed Stake wiff masheded poetatows and greyvee........ I'm just funnin' with you, ya know I really use a complex math equation to find if a restaurant meets my criteria. {quantity of food> emptiness in stomach = $ in wallet- cost of fuel to get there + 15% tip = happy tubby Hillbilly math....try it, it works

Old 10-27-2008, 06:40 PM

55 posts, read 141,804 times
The variety of food, if they have a good wine list or interesting cocktails/martinis, sometimes price is a factor, and I try to find reviews online if I can.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:36 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
I never eat in a restaurant unless I'm traveling. I look for a locally-owned (not chain) place, preferably in an in-town storefront, away from where a gullible traveler might be enticed into it. I want a place that depends on customers who can keep coming back if they want to. Locally inquiry will usually yield the right place.

I sometimes look for a place whose main business is alcohol, but also has a kitchen. or at least a grill. They make so much money on drinks, they can afford to offer a nice house special at a good price, to keep drinkers from leaving the premises when they get hungry.

As you can guess from the above, pretentious atmosphere means nothing to me.. Formica-topped chrome tables are fine, if there is good food on them at a working-class price.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:11 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,858 times
Someone mentioned the abundance of vehicles outside being a good omen, I agree.

Or if it's an ethnic restaurant, how many of that nationality are eating there is another good sign.

A quick trip to check the cleanliness of the washroom is another in my books. Whatever conditon it's in, you can bet the kitchen is probably in the same boat.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:17 AM

19 posts, read 35,722 times
i base it on a few things:

What do I want?
How much can I spend?
Have I been there before?
Where is it (drink-drive)?
What do friends/family say about it (well, some)?

then I go and check out some websites. I always use the following two:

UK Restaurant Guide. Restaurants, places to eat out, online reservations, food & drink across the UK (mainly UK)
Restaurant Reviews - Compare Best Restaurant reviews, top restaurants uk at Review Centre (worlwide and some good quick pick links to get you top 10's and stuff)

and then? I eat loads!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink