Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 11:41 AM

265 posts, read 1,548,383 times

Advertisements

(Didn't know what else to call it!)

One of the quirks of Long Island life is that when you order a burger at a fast-food or other restaurant, it never ever EVER comes with mustard on it. Ketchup, yes. Mustard, never.

So the first time a native LI'er orders a burger anywhere out-of-area and takes that first bite, it's Cuisine Culture Shock. First we gag. Then we say "What the #@&^%$....?!" Then we frantically scrape the offending foreign substance off the burger (or order a replacement).

If we don't travel out of area regularly, it's easy to forget to add the all-important "no mustard!" when we place an order. That results in a replay of the scenario above.

I've often wondered where the invisible geo-cultural line is that separates Mustard-Never-Land from the rest of the USA. It seems to be somewhere east of central PA, but where is it? some part of NJ? of Connecticut? What about the rest of New England? It might be interesting to find out, so here's my unscientific survey question about how a burger is normally served by restaurants where you live.

BURGERS: MUSTARD OR NO MUSTARD?

Obviously, my answer is:

NO MUSTARD
Long Island
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2007, 02:11 PM

417 posts, read 1,891,270 times
Hmm, good question......

and for that matter, where does 'soda' become 'pop?'
where is toasting a bagel standard practice and where is it frowned upon?
why are clams such a big deal in upstate NY?

ah, there are so many other pressing questions like this that need answers!

Old 02-17-2007, 02:17 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
NO MUSTARD!!!

I'm from NJ. I also hate it when people put mustard on soft pretzels. I love mustard...on hot dogs.

Old 02-17-2007, 03:20 PM

262 posts, read 1,232,468 times
Has anyone ever heard of a "hoagie"? I came across that term years ago when I was trying to order a sub sandwich in Pennsylvania.

Old 02-17-2007, 04:15 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
In upsate people usually put mustard on burgers. I only really hear old people say "pop". Sometimes I'll toast a bagel, sometimes I won't. Don't know too many people that eat clams. We order "subs".

Old 02-17-2007, 10:08 PM

278 posts, read 802,502 times
All over the south they put mustard on burgers. eeewww! I did the same thing when I first moved here and went out for a burger, it was like "what the heck is wrong with this burger?", then ordering a replacement. I notice a lot of people from Michigan call soda "pop" , and as far as subs go, we used to call them "heros". No Mustard On Burgers!!!

Old 02-18-2007, 03:34 AM

124 posts, read 641,678 times
Here in my part West Virginia, mustard on a hamburger is a given. But so is ketchup and sometimes mayonnaise in addition....

What you guys call "soda" up in the Northeast is called "pop" or, more frequently, a "coke." Yes, you read it right. Any flavor of soda pop, be it cola or orange or cherry or whatever and any brand of soda pop be it Coca Cola, Pepsi, 7-Up, etc. are, for some dumb reason, called a coke! When I grew up in Maine, we called it soda. A coke nothing but a Coca Cola branded cola. Period. (No Coke, Pepsi )

Bagels are a relatively new food down here, as one might imagine. If you order one and don't specify whether it be toasted or not, it will come toasted as people here generally treat a bagel as they would an English muffin, which would never come untoasted anywhere in the US.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:01 AM

417 posts, read 1,891,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymom View Post
Has anyone ever heard of a "hoagie"? I came across that term years ago when I was trying to order a sub sandwich in Pennsylvania.
I've heard both that the 'hoagie' was named for Hoagie Charmichael and also that it was named after a shipbuilding yard in PA.

On the East/West axis, soda seems to become pop somewhere just before you reach Buffalo.

I can remember when the only place you could find coffee milkshakes and coffee icecream was Rhode Island.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:43 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
How about mayo on things?
Is this just a canadian thing?

Old 02-18-2007, 08:54 AM

265 posts, read 1,548,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
How about mayo on things?
Is this just a canadian thing?
I can't think of anything that would be automatically served with mayo here, except maybe a turkey sandwich at the deli.... Definitely no mayo on burgers, nor relish either.

What does mayo normally get served on, in Canada?

The first time I was in Quebec, I was told by a sadistic person to order poutine (sorry if I misspelled it). Could not eat it. And that's got to be right up there with Fettucini Alfredo in the category of "heart attack on a plate" (shudder).

Pidgett, I'm with you on the "a Coke by any other name is not a Coke.... it's a soda, or a Pepsi".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink