Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 11:00 PM

20,651 posts, read 4,421,087 times

Advertisements

Big deal!!! Psst, you can buy ribs that taste better at your local grocery store.

Plumrose Baby Back Ribs take 10 minutes to cook in the oven, and they are fall off the bone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2020, 11:33 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
My 30 something son had to pay for his because he has only a few wimpy, blonde facial hairs.

Old 12-02-2020, 11:35 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,098,813 times
I make my own Mc Rib about once a year. Ground pork burgers with onions & bbq sauce on a bun. Plus pickles for pickle eaters. No snouts.

Old 12-03-2020, 03:49 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,011,346 times
McRib is like McNuggets. Recycled imitation meat by-products.
No thank you.

Old 12-03-2020, 05:50 AM

5,157 posts, read 3,083,950 times
The McRib has to be condemned for cultural appropriation. It’s a white-privilege knock-off of a popular style of smoked ribs where the meat and sauce are served between two slices of bread to make eating them less messy. Mickey-D needs to seek an indulgence and cut a 7-figure check immediately.

Old 12-03-2020, 06:24 AM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
The McRib has to be condemned for cultural appropriation. It’s a white-privilege knock-off of a popular style of smoked ribs where the meat and sauce are served between two slices of bread to make eating them less messy. Mickey-D needs to seek an indulgence and cut a 7-figure check immediately.
Sorta. I've been to "Dreamland" (the iconic BBQ joint near Tuscaloosa) The white bread is on the side.

(Dreamland was begun by a black entrepreneur who needed money to support his family. The history goes that he said "Well, it is either start a barbecue place or a funeral parlor." Fortunately, he went with BBQ place. The dining experience there is unique, and great fun for Alabamians taking out-of-staters.

A McRib is closer to a tasty Hormel meat product made of pork shoulder than ribs. It doesn't come any closer to a real pulled pork sandwich than a burger.

For those who get their knickers in an uproar over "cultural appropriation," you do know you are endangering those of us who study history? We are about to bust a gut laughing over your antics, knowing all of the various common things that came from other cultures. Your Italian spaghetti is Chinese, your American apple pie is at least British, and possibly appropriated from an even earlier culture, the sandwich is only one version of an ancient concept, and Tang was invented by aliens.

Old 12-03-2020, 08:39 AM

5,157 posts, read 3,083,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Sorta. I've been to "Dreamland" (the iconic BBQ joint near Tuscaloosa) The white bread is on the side.

(Dreamland was begun by a black entrepreneur who needed money to support his family. The history goes that he said "Well, it is either start a barbecue place or a funeral parlor." Fortunately, he went with BBQ place. The dining experience there is unique, and great fun for Alabamians taking out-of-staters.

A McRib is closer to a tasty Hormel meat product made of pork shoulder than ribs. It doesn't come any closer to a real pulled pork sandwich than a burger.

For those who get their knickers in an uproar over "cultural appropriation," you do know you are endangering those of us who study history? We are about to bust a gut laughing over your antics, knowing all of the various common things that came from other cultures. Your Italian spaghetti is Chinese, your American apple pie is at least British, and possibly appropriated from an even earlier culture, the sandwich is only one version of an ancient concept, and Tang was invented by aliens.
Your ‘Bama version is not the real deal. I’m talking about the little street vendors who pull off three ribs from a rack and slap them on a piece of fluffy Wonder bread, squirt on their secret-recipe sauce (or not), and top the whole thing with another slice of bread. Good eats, bones and all.

The McRib is a Frankenfood and should be mocked on many levels.

Old 12-03-2020, 09:16 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,816,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
...and Tang was invented by aliens.
This I can confirm!

Old 12-03-2020, 10:59 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
According to this Yahoo article:

"Having fallen off the fast-food radar for nearly a decade, The McRib — which is made of seasoned boneless pork, barbecue sauce, onions and pickles on a bun — makes its triumphant return to the Golden Arches on December 2. It had a limited return in October 2019, but has not been available nationwide since 2012."

In many regions and areas, it's seasonal. Where I am in Texas, it's available from the holidays through about Feb I think. What is new this year, per the original link you posted, is that ALL McDonald's restaurants, nationwide, will be serving it.

Not that I'm going to run out and get one, but to each his own...

Old 12-03-2020, 12:07 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It's restructured mystery meat. Apparently consists of salt (980 mg, more than half your recommended daily intake) and pig innards, like tripe, heart, some shoulder meat and scalded stomach.
Americans eat far too little organ meat, and I applaud McDonalds' efforts at diversifying their menu to include ingredients with a much wider array of nutrients that are lacking in the typical American diet.

OK, I am being a bit tongue in cheek. I certainly would not consider the McRib health food, but denigrating a food because it contains organ meats is off base. There are far worse things in the McRib than its actual meat content. Literally dozens of "non-food" ingredients, especially in the buns and the barbecue sauce. I'll take a nice, natural scalded stomach and heart sandwich over the flour bleaching agents used in the buns anyday of the week.

Tripe packs an impressive amount of nutrients, including selenium, zinc and vitamin B12.

A 5-ounce (140-gram) serving of cooked beef tripe delivers 25% of the RDI for selenium and more than 15% of the RDI for both vitamin B12 and zinc.

Vitamin B12 is essential for red blood cell production, nerve transmission and energy production, while zinc is vital for cell division, immune function and carbohydrate metabolism (9Trusted Source, 10Trusted Source).

Selenium is a mineral that acts as a powerful antioxidant in your body. It’s also needed for DNA production, thyroid health and metabolism (11Trusted Source).

Additionally, tripe is a good source of the minerals calcium, phosphorus, magnesium and iron. Source

Heart is rich in folate, iron, zinc, and selenium. It is also a great source of vitamins B2, B6, and B12, all three of which are in a group known as B-complex vitamins.

B vitamins found in organ meats have a cardioprotective effect, meaning they protect against heart disease.

B vitamins are also associated with maintaining healthy blood pressure, reducing high cholesterol, and forming healthy blood vessels. They are beneficial to the brain and have been found to reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, depression, and anxiety.

Heart meat is also a great source of coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10). This is an antioxidant and can help treat and prevent certain diseases, particularly heart disease.

CoQ10 has been shown to slow down the aging process and to improve energy levels. Source
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink