Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 06:34 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,950,171 times

Advertisements

Where do I buy hog casings for Italian Sausage and how expensive is it? I want to buy a grinder as I have 10lbs of pork shoulder in the freezer to make sausage. Any feedback on sausage making would be appreciated.

I have used the pork shoulder for pulled pork in the crock pot but want to try sausage making.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 07:22 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,917,957 times
I'd like to try it as well one of these days.

There are tons of on-line vendors that sell sausage making gear from grinders to stuffers to casings.

The bad news is that I don't think shoulder makes particularly good sausage though as the fat content is way too low.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:22 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Try homesteadingtoday.com

and

backwoodshome.com

Old 11-07-2008, 08:31 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,398,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
Where do I buy hog casings for Italian Sausage and how expensive is it? I want to buy a grinder as I have 10lbs of pork shoulder in the freezer to make sausage. Any feedback on sausage making would be appreciated.

I have used the pork shoulder for pulled pork in the crock pot but want to try sausage making.
I am originally from New York and I remember that sausage casings where readily available in the supermarkets in small containers, for the home, packed in salt. It was always available because of the ethnic communities in New York and Jersey. However, that was over 30 years ago--did it change??

Now, I live in Colorado and casings, in small containers, are not always available in the supermarkets but can be obtained from butcher shops and mail order.

A better idea for a novice is to forget about the casing. You can try your recipes without the expense and bother of a casing. You really do not need a casing to make sausage. You can make sausage patties which are convenient and easier to fry. They make great sausage patty sandwiches. Patties can be round for a hamburger bun or oblong for a great sandwich sub. Meat suppliers sell sausages in patties to restaurants--you can make also make them.

If you want links, make them skinless.You will have nice skinless sausage, like a hot dog or a skinless breakfast sausage. Put bulk sausage in waxed paper. You then tightly roll the waxed paper and use a spatula to push the roll tighter as you roll to a size that you want. You can make them thin or large. It would be the same principle like making a refrigerated cookie dough or a compound butter.

I put it in the freezer until it firms up to a soft freeze, then I take it out and cut through the waxed paper to the lengths I want. You can freeze each piece separately by unrolling and putting on a tray and freezing solid. After, you can put in a bag and have each sausage individually frozen for use.

Livecontent

Old 11-07-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post

A better idea for a novice is to forget about the casing. You can try your recipes without the expense and bother of a casing. You really do not need a casing to make sausage. You can make sausage patties which are convenient and easier to fry. They make great sausage patty sandwiches. Patties can be round for a hamburger bun or oblong for a great sandwich sub. Meat suppliers sell sausages in patties to restaurants--you can make also make them.

If you want links, make them skinless.You will have nice skinless sausage, like a hot dog or a skinless breakfast sausage. Put bulk sausage in waxed paper. You then tightly roll the waxed paper and use a spatula to push the roll tighter as you roll to a size that you want. You can make them thin or large. It would be the same principle like making a refrigerated cookie dough or a compound butter.

I put it in the freezer until it firms up to a soft freeze, then I take it out and cut through the waxed paper to the lengths I want. You can freeze each piece separately by unrolling and putting on a tray and freezing solid. After, you can put in a bag and have each sausage individually frozen for use.

Livecontent
I saw this somewhere on the INTERNET, about putting the pork in a food processor since I don't have a grinder and making patties. This would save me some money. I do use loose sausage in soup, broccoli and cavatelli and on pizza. I have all the seasons.

Thanks for your feedback!!!!

Old 11-08-2008, 03:21 AM

424 posts, read 1,675,670 times
I have purchased casings at some local grocery stores...the ones with service meat departments. Sometimes the meat manager will sell (or even give!!!) you a fairly small amount, but at times I have had to buy a box...10 lbs. or more...just to get some. They freeze well, but still, it takes a long time to use them up, so I give the excess to other sausage makers.

You CAN use shoulder but you will have to add additional fat to it or it will be too dry and tough.

If you have a Kitchen Aide stand mixer with the meat grinder attachment, the sausage stuffer kit is only a few dollars more (about $15). If you go the casings route you will need several hands to do it...3 helps...so an assistant is usually easier to find than growing a third hand.

As suggested previously, you don't have to stuff it at all. When I make sausage I always keep it loose until I'm ready to stuff it...and then I often don't stuff it anyway. Make your initial batch, and break it up into some samller batches, seasoning each a bit differently until you arrive at the balance of seasoning you wish...then go ahead and stuff your final product if you wish. Indeed, it IS so much easier to fry it up (for eating or sampling) when it is loose.

If you are wanting to become a sausage maven, you might also enjoy making Boudin, Kielbasa, and other items as well.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:14 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,764,713 times
Hi!
Would you like to make "ragù"?
Its' Italian sausage.
If you need some info, please, tell me..

Old 11-08-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemouse View Post
Hi!
Would you like to make "ragù"?
Its' Italian sausage.
If you need some info, please, tell me..
Hi, yes you can give me info on whatever you have. I thought ragu is the sauce for pasta. Is this sauce with Italian sausage in it?

You are in Italy? My Grandparents were from Grottaminarda,Avellino, Italy.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:01 AM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, they were very helpful. I see I have some options.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:46 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,764,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
Hi, yes you can give me info on whatever you have. I thought ragu is the sauce for pasta. Is this sauce with Italian sausage in it?

You are in Italy? My Grandparents were from Grottaminarda,Avellino, Italy.
Hi! Yes, I'm Italian and..yes, I'm in Italy I would like to be American!!!

Ragù is a typical sausage for pasta or ravioli.

Ingredients

first:
carrots,
celery,
oil

These ingredients are necessary to make a "fry lightly". I don't know if it's correct as word.

Then, you put in the meat minced and red wine.

For the last pasage, you can put in the tomato sauce and salt it.
It's very good!!!

Enjoy it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink