Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When I Want to Quench my Thirst, I Reach for a(an)...
Aquafina 22 13.84%
Dasani 30 18.87%
Evian 19 11.95%
Perrier 7 4.40%
Poland Spring 16 10.06%
Fiji 27 16.98%
Dannon 3 1.89%
Sam's Choice (Wal-Mart Brand) 4 2.52%
Volvio 1 0.63%
Other (Please Specify Below) 55 34.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 02:13 PM

872 posts, read 3,585,263 times

Advertisements

I'm a wussy. I like my water flavored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 02:16 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Costco's house brand Kirkland - seems less salty them most.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:36 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,584 times
I find that Poland Springs and Fiji are the best. Dasani and Evian are not very good in my book. Has anyone noticed how heavy and syrupy Evian is? or is it just me?

Old 02-24-2007, 07:36 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,111 times
I've had people laugh at, and argue with me, when I tell them I can tell the difference in bottled waters, which I don't understand. It makes sense that they will taste different. Much of it has to do with the the type of ground/minerals that the water comes up through, before it even goes through any filtering, and the bottling. There is a difference. I won't drink bottled water, unless it's spring water, unless it's the only thing I can find, (like on a trip, or something). I go to Sam's and load up on ZepherHills spring water. We go through alot of it, especially in the summer. I do have a filter on my kitchen tap, but I use that for cooking, etc., because I hate the chlorine they put into the water. Smells like a dang swimming pool!

Old 02-24-2007, 10:08 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,256,191 times
Default Some data on tap vs bottled water

The info below was posted on the Raleigh Durham forum. I believe the poster is in the environmental field. The opinion was both were safe .I found it interesting. I usually drink tap water.

Tap Water

Regulated by EPA
Cannot have confirmed E. coli or fecal Coliform bacteria.
Filtered and/or disinfected
Violation of drinking water standards are grounds for enforcement.
Utilities must have their water tested by certified labs.
Tap water results must be reported to state or federal officials.
Water system operators must be certified.
Water suppliers must issue consumer confidence reports annually.
Costs pennies a day
Contains essential nutrients for the body such as calcium and iron.
Chlorine residual in water to prevent bacteria growth.

Bottled Water

Regulated by FDA
A certain amount of any bacteria is allowed.
No federal filtration or disinfection requirements.
Bottled water in violation of standards can still be sold.
Testing is not required for bottlers.
There are no reporting requirements for bottlers.
Bottled water plant operators do not have to be certified.
There are no public right-to-know requirements for bottlers.
Costs $.80 to $4.00 per gallon.
Natural minerals are removed by filtration.
No disinfectant present to kill bacteria in bottles.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:08 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
Who all is recycling their used up bottles of water?

Old 02-24-2007, 02:39 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,679,987 times
Right now, I'm all about Aquafina. But the only other bottled water I drink is Dasani. A few weeks ago, we bought some Dannon...something about it makes my tongue want to slap me.

Another weird thing about me is that I drink my water warm...I never put it in the fridge.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:41 AM

265 posts, read 1,548,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Who all is recycling their used up bottles of water?
I think different states have different recycling rules. Here in NY, only carbonated-beverage plastic bottles are accepted for deposit-recycling. Personally I think it's ridiculous that I can recycle my bottles of Sparkling Poland Spring but can't recycle my bottles of regular Poland Spring! Hopefully one day someone will see the illogic of that and expand the bottle-deposit program to include non-carbonated bottled water.

I can, and do, put my bottles of regular Poland Spring out with the "plastics" garbage pickup, usually once a month. Our town has a recycling program that accepts cardboard and corrugated paper on certain days, and glass/plastics on certain other days. There are guidelines as to what can and can't be disposed of that way, though.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:47 PM

278 posts, read 802,591 times
Not to sound like a smart a$$, but did anyone ever notice that Evian spelled backwards is "naive"?

Old 02-27-2007, 11:37 PM

262 posts, read 1,232,618 times
A friend of mine, who was once in the water filtration business, told me that if a company does not label it's bottled water as "drinking water", it is not necessarily safe to drink. I'm not sure how true that is but I've been buying only Aquafina since!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink