Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 08:18 AM

207 posts, read 704,913 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Has anyone had any success with using skinless chicken breasts in the crockpot? I'm just wondering if the meat needs to have some fat on it in order to keep the dish from getting too dry.

I want to make a crockpot mean using yellow curry powder & skinless chicken breast. It seems like every crockpot recipe requires a can of mushroom soup which I'm not so sure I want to use as the taste may alter the curry flavor.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 08:24 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
If you are worried about dryness, add a little butter to the pot. Or just water and a chicken boulion cube. It may take one or two practice pots to get it just like you want it. I think you will need something extra to ward off dryness if you use the skinless breasts. Butter is probably your safest bet.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:05 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,352,111 times
And when you figure it out, please coma back and share the recipe- that sounds yummy!

Old 11-12-2008, 09:08 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,844 times
Or use chicken stock -- that will go well with the curry

Old 11-12-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Or use chicken stock -- that will go well with the curry
That's a good idea, I think I will buy some chicken stock & use that. I don't have a recipe but I remember my Aunt Mattie used to make this yellow chicken curry dish that she served over rice. It was amazing that something so simple could be so good. I've tried to do it before, but I want to try to do it in a crockpot so I could have very tender chicken & serve it over rice.

I'm making the recipe up as I go along. So far I'm thinking it will be something like this:

1-2 tablespoon yellow curry powder
garlic salt & black pepper to taste
1-2 tablespoon butter
1 large onion
1 garlic clove
1lb chicken breast
chicken stock

I might also throw some mushrooms & bean sprouts in it because I like those vegetables.

I know I will serve it over white rice sprinkled with a few bright green peas. I love using the basmati rice from trader joes. I cook it in the rice cooker & it comes out perfect every time.

Also Trader Joes has the Tadori Nan bread that would go well with this.

Uuuummmm in print it looks good, I just hope I can getthe flavors to taste the way I remember my Aunt's dish tasted about 20 years ago.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:45 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,858 times
Coconut milk would be good too, it will give a slightly thicker sauce and won't overpower the curry flavour but will complement it. Altho it may not be how your auntie made it...

Old 11-12-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Coconut milk would be good too, it will give a slightly thicker sauce and won't overpower the curry flavour but will complement it. Altho it may not be how your auntie made it...
Thanks, I actually did buy this broth that is called coconut curry. It's new broth, so I am going to try that. My main issue is that I want to keep this somewhat healthy & go easy on the creams, butters (I know my aunt would use a lot of butter) and fatty meat of the chicken. My goal is to mimic the taste while, lessing the fat. I plan on doing it tonight so I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:50 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennylove76 View Post
Thanks, I actually did buy this broth that is called coconut curry. It's new broth, so I am going to try that. My main issue is that I want to keep this somewhat healthy & go easy on the creams, butters (I know my aunt would use a lot of butter) and fatty meat of the chicken. My goal is to mimic the taste while, lessing the fat. I plan on doing it tonight so I will let you guys know how it turns out.
You can get 'lite' (low-fat) coconut milk - it's not quite so full-flavored but still good!

Old 11-13-2008, 12:27 PM

Ok to give an update. I made the dish in the crockpot last night. I used 2 split chicken breast & even put some shrimp in the pot (during the last hour of cooking). I will serve it tonight but I did of course try it both last night & today. It is very good. It does not taste like my aunt's, mainly because i used that broth that gives it a unique kick. It has more of the traditional thai flavor than what my aun't dish had. If you have ever been to the Cheesecake factory & had their Bang Bang Chicken & Shrimp dish, then that is what it taste like. Only, not quite as spicy as my 2 year old does not like things that spicy.

I can't wait to serve it over a bowl of steaming rice for dinner. It was very easy to make. I just put the ingredients in the crock pot & could do the rest of the the things i had to do. I will definitely start making more of these dishes as I like many of you, am very busy. However, I want to still make homemade meals that are healthy. Next time I make this I will try the lite coconut milk as suggested by Southdown.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:28 PM

Oh another thing is I ended up using about 3 tablespoons of yellow curry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink