Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 09:05 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,161,728 times

Advertisements

I read this tip somewhere else some time ago. Do the same for fruit and other produce. I once got close to a 7lb bag of potatoes for the 5lb price!

To the naysayer, look at it like this. We usually eat some sort of starch each night (potato, rice, beans, etc). Close to 7lbs versus 5 lbs is what, like 30% more potato? And to use your own analogy against you, look at it from the stance of a grocer. If they can sell 3.8lbs of produce at a 5lb cost, times 100 customers a day, then guess who is winning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 02:46 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,394,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
If they can sell 3.8lbs of produce at a 5lb cost, times 100 customers a day, then guess who is winning?
The truckers are winning.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:07 AM

149 posts, read 548,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
Cost accountants chime in here:
If you save a dollar in costs, that dollar appears on the bottom line (before taxes) as "profit." Therefore, a dollar "saved" is a dollar (profit) earned.

Isn't this right?
I look at it like this:
You put forth an effort to save money ... therefore that penny you save was earned for your work.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poster View Post
I look at it like this:
You put forth an effort to save money ... therefore that penny you save was earned for your work.
Yeah!!!

Old 11-20-2009, 10:20 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
I always try to get the vegetables that haven't been "rained" on. They are usually fresher and last longer. I always hit the reduced for quick sale items--bakery, butcher, deli, and dry goods. Many items are reduced before their sell-by dates. Others are actually still good long beyond their sell-by dates, particularly expensive cheeses. I got $50 of Mimolette cheese for $15. I rarely buy steaks unless they are reduced.

Also, I base my meals around what looks good in the market and how much it costs. I'm always amazed that people will plan a week's to a month's worth of recipes without considering what's in season or on sale or for which they have a coupon.

I routinely save 40% on my grocery bill by buying on sale, using coupons, and buying store brand and reduced items. The result is that I often have gourmet meals for much less than a fast food meal.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:32 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,091,862 times
I like to browse the meat labels, there are pricing mistakes pretty often, esp at the time of week that sales change. Sometimes they miss items when they take then off sale, or price more expensive meat as cheaper cuts by accident.

There are also tons of shopping tips in the CDF Frugal Lving forum

Old 11-21-2009, 01:45 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,286,008 times
Quote:
The truckers are winning.
Having owned a small Owner/Operator type trucking company, I can assure you that the trucker NEVER wins! LOL Perhaps the shipper or the consignee, but not the trucker. I can't tell you how many times we have hauled potatoes (for example) out of Idaho and been over gross. There are usually never scales at a shipper, so you go 50 miles or more down the road at times to scale, and then must go back to the shipper to have them take some freight off (to which they always are unhappy about and will argue). Of course, then you have to wait in line behind all the rest of the trucks waiting to load - sometimes you can get back in and out in a couple of hours sometimes not. Manpower, diesel, etc....... The original rate is already agreed upon so the trucker/Owner operator eats that cost. OR...you run the risk of going ahead and running the load over gross. Which can mean either having to try to run around the scales (bad idea if you get caught!), or paying a fine. This too is usually absorbed by the trucker/owner operator.

I would guess that at least 90% of the time, the weight the shipper gets a quote on is not the actual weight that is picked up. A penny saved IS a penny earned - just not for the little guys! LOL

But, I digress - sorry! I too love a bargain and will try to buy in bulk and break it down for freezing. Especially meats.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Having owned a small Owner/Operator type trucking company, I can assure you that the trucker NEVER wins! LOL Perhaps the shipper or the consignee, but not the trucker. I can't tell you how many times we have hauled potatoes (for example) out of Idaho and been over gross. There are usually never scales at a shipper, so you go 50 miles or more down the road at times to scale, and then must go back to the shipper to have them take some freight off (to which they always are unhappy about and will argue). Of course, then you have to wait in line behind all the rest of the trucks waiting to load - sometimes you can get back in and out in a couple of hours sometimes not. Manpower, diesel, etc....... The original rate is already agreed upon so the trucker/Owner operator eats that cost. OR...you run the risk of going ahead and running the load over gross. Which can mean either having to try to run around the scales (bad idea if you get caught!), or paying a fine. This too is usually absorbed by the trucker/owner operator.

I would guess that at least 90% of the time, the weight the shipper gets a quote on is not the actual weight that is picked up. A penny saved IS a penny earned - just not for the little guys! LOL

But, I digress - sorry! I too love a bargain and will try to buy in bulk and break it down for freezing. Especially meats.
My point was far less intelligent than yours. My point was only that by selling as described previously, the grocer doesn't win; the grower dosen't win; the customer dosen't win; the only people who could win would be the nice folks who deliver the produce to the stores BECAUSE they ultimately will make more delivery trips.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:15 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,286,008 times
Quote:
My point was far less intelligent than yours. My point was only that by selling as described previously, the grocer doesn't win; the grower dosen't win; the customer dosen't win; the only people who could win would be the nice folks who deliver the produce to the stores BECAUSE they ultimately will make more delivery trips.
Ahhhhhhhhhh......I was afraid I would provoke a negative response and that was sincerely not my intent, nor the premise of this thread. We will just have to agree to disagree. No harm, no foul.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Ahhhhhhhhhh......I was afraid I would provoke a negative response and that was sincerely not my intent, nor the premise of this thread. We will just have to agree to disagree. No harm, no foul.
My response wasn't intended to be negative. I apologize if I offended you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink