Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 04:08 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,685,025 times

Advertisements

decent food for a decent price. I HATE it when I hear people say that they can't afford food that's mostly wholesome. If they would just take a little more time and research prices in their neighborhood, clip coupons, and shop only what is on sale, they CAN do it.

I know this for a fact. I have between $300 - $400/month for a family of five.That's about $60 - $80/per person. That's for food, paper products, feminine products, soap, washing powder, etc. We've given up eating out more than 2x/month and even then, it's somewhere cheap or with coupons (or both if possible).

And I get some things so we don't have to worry when I'm to tired or not in the mood to cook. Frozen pizza, sandwiches, pasta, cereal, etc. I try to only buy clearanced meats (from Giant b/c they're honest about their dates) and I have only RARELY had to throw something away. I alternate between Aldi, superwalmart, Bottom Dollar, Dollar Tree and Dollar General.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 04:45 PM

625 posts, read 1,580,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
decent food for a decent price. I HATE it when I hear people say that they can't afford food that's mostly wholesome. If they would just take a little more time and research prices in their neighborhood, clip coupons, and shop only what is on sale, they CAN do it.

I know this for a fact. I have between $300 - $400/month for a family of five.That's about $60 - $80/per person. That's for food, paper products, feminine products, soap, washing powder, etc. We've given up eating out more than 2x/month and even then, it's somewhere cheap or with coupons (or both if possible).

And I get some things so we don't have to worry when I'm to tired or not in the mood to cook. Frozen pizza, sandwiches, pasta, cereal, etc. I try to only buy clearanced meats (from Giant b/c they're honest about their dates) and I have only RARELY had to throw something away. I alternate between Aldi, superwalmart, Bottom Dollar, Dollar Tree and Dollar General.
Correct you are Those crybabies need to wipe the tears out' their eyes and look for the deals

Old 11-15-2008, 04:48 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,771,495 times
Trouble is a lot of people are not smart shoppers and can't see the possibilities.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:20 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,907,915 times
I've got the 'whole food' religion bad; and I don't buy meat unless I know who raised it. Living like this does cost a little bit more - it's true. Is it worth it? Heck yes it is. I'll never go back.

I could be more frugal, and I'm getting better and better at doing that, but they don't take "coupons" at the farmer's market, and that's where the bulk of my food comes from. I'm not rich. We're a single income family, we squeak by - some months are really tight, both our cars are 10 years old, that's the way it is. When my daughter is old enough, mom will go back to work and hopefully it will get a bit easier - but the point is - I eat like a king, and if I can make it work, anyone can.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:41 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,300,092 times
I think the key to eating both well and frugally is that it requires an investment of time and effort to accomplish the objective, and some folks just aren't willing to put time and effort to that purpose. It is absolutely possible to accomplish, but as Nicole correctly notes, it takes more effort, more planning, and more time.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:45 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,918,789 times
I could be better with this -- I think meal planning would help. We often stock up on bulk meats and freeze individually, but often we find recipes we like and go out and buy the stuff to make it, which is not cost effective.

However, we are getting smarter about our meal planning, and still eat well. We do use coupons and shop the sales

Old 11-15-2008, 06:50 PM

849 posts, read 1,944,781 times
I think it's actually cheaper to eat healthy and wholesome foods because it's almost always cheaper to buy ingredients and cook from scratch than to buy prepared or convenient foods. Trick is to plan ahead, stock up what's on sale and search and try recipes using ingredients you already have. Recipezaar.com and allrecipes.com are both good websites because you can search under ingredients. You cal also come here and ask your good friends for advises. They are all full of great ideas and always willing to share. We hardly ever eat out any more, but kids love coming home to home cooked meals.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:03 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,685,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Trouble is a lot of people are not smart shoppers and can't see the possibilities.
True. And while I would say that the government needs to sponsor classes or something to teach people, would those prices that are now affordable go up if more people were buying correctly?

Old 11-15-2008, 08:09 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,332,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
I think the key to eating both well and frugally is that it requires an investment of time and effort to accomplish the objective, and some folks just aren't willing to put time and effort to that purpose. It is absolutely possible to accomplish, but as Nicole correctly notes, it takes more effort, more planning, and more time.
AMEN! People have the abilities they just have to put away the fast food mentalities and enjoy the art of finding, buying, preparing and eating their meals.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:43 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,577,260 times
I disagree about potential savings clipping coupons. In general coupons will do one of three things.
1. Offer national name brands at a price fairly close to the everyday price of a generic brand, or
2. Offer smaller packages of products at a per-unit price close to the price you can get anyway by buying the larger size.
3. Tend to be heavily weighted toward convenience foods or minimum-nutrition items.

This is not to say that you can never get a deal with coupons---of course you can. But you could waste more than you save by buying what you don't want or need merely because you have a coupon. It should be noted that in the store flyer, there are normally only a half-dozen or so actual specials, usually on the front and back page. Everything else in the flyer is at everyday price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink