Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 09:24 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,695,418 times

Advertisements

So dish the dirt, where is the best place you've ever chowed down at? I have a new favorite resturant, the French Room at the Adolphus in Dallas, TX. It was as much of a feast for the mouth as it was for the eyes- absolutely BEAUTIFUL. Here's my review of it in the Dallas Texas forum:

Quote:
The French Room was absolutely the BEST culinary experience I've ever had. The frescos, the chandeliers, and the gilded scones are a feast for the eyes. The staff were very professional in a small situation that happened.

You see I have pretty good vision but I cannot read small print without my reading glasses. Well I forgot them at the hotel and couldn't possibly read the menu. So I whispered to my girlfriend in the lightest voice "Hunny, I think you might have to read me the menu, I forgot my reading glasses." Within 2 minutes of me saying that, this young man brought me a pair of stylish reading glasses on a silver platter and whispered "This was the best I could find that matched your tie". I put them on and it was all I needed to read the menu.

I was also with two of my relatives and we all ordered the 5 course Chef Selection with wine. The food was amazing, the best I've ever had the pleasure to come across. Everything from the entree to the desert; and being a wine lover, the wine was to die for. I decided that this one time, I would foot the bill (nearly $600 for the 4 of us). I'd recommend The French Room to anyone, it was a 5 star culinary experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 10:21 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,984,955 times
Sounds like a great restaurant!
There was a French restaurant in San Francisco on Geary Blvd I'd been to a couple of times that was delicious, but I can't remember the name of it darn it.
The restaurant that I truly enjoyed and had multiple foodgasms in was....believe it or not...
The Saltgrass Steakhouse in Arlington, Texas. The dinner I had there plus the following dessert was the most fantastic dinner I've ever had in a restaurant. The only other restaurant I ever enjoyed...almost...as much was the City Hotel in Columbia, California with their lemon souffles.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:39 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,365,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Sounds like a great restaurant!
There was a French restaurant in San Francisco on Geary Blvd I'd been to a couple of times that was delicious, but I can't remember the name of it darn it.
Might have been Le Bergerie or another nearby place called The French Laundry in the Richmond District. SF has too many great restaurants. Just walking 2 or 3 blocks on Clement Street could make a long list for me.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:48 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,984,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Might have been Le Bergerie or another nearby place called The French Laundry in the Richmond District. SF has too many great restaurants. Just walking 2 or 3 blocks on Clement Street could make a long list for me.
It was LaBergerie I think!!!!! On the South side of the street with the front entrance facing north? I know it wasn't anyplace called the French Laundry. LaBergerie seems to ring my bells.

I used to live in the Richmond long ago at 27th and Cabrillo and then after the earthquake I moved to 43rd and Lincoln where I lived until 1997 when I bought my first house in the East Bay. I've forgotten so much about San Francisco geography!

Old 02-23-2007, 06:40 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,015,431 times
There are indeed good places to eat in SFO! Love the Rose Pistola.

Could never pick just one. For me, fancy and expensive is not always preferable, let alone the best. I do enjoy white tablecloths and little niceties such as having my silverware refreshed, but I don't care for a stuffy atmosphere.

A few of my absolute favorites:
The Vesta Dipping Grill in Denver, 18th and Blake
The concept is actually off-putting to me. Grill some stuff, and add some sauces? It just doesn't sound *that* exciting. And the restaurant is kinda loud.
However, the flavor combinations are innovative, toothsome and nicely presented.
It's simply some of the most creative food I've ever had. Not cheap, but not overly pricey either. Entrees range from 18 to 25 bucks per person.

Le Florimond in Paris,19 avenue de la Motte Picquet
Not super expensive, considering what you get. Unpretentious yet elegant, very French. Tasty wine choices.
Rick Steves has now discovered it but it is still popular with locals.
Wonderful atmosphere, personal, friendly service, and scrumptious food.
Approx. 35 euro per person.

One of my favorite restaurants, Aubergine's, does not exist anymore, its signature chicken dish came from Judy Rogers, so well known in San Francisco for her Zuni Cafe. Before the Zuni, she created her Judy Rogers chicken with bread pudding, and I had this at Aubergine's in Denver. Mouthwatering. Anyway, chef Sean Kelly used to cook there, and he is still cooking in Denver.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:56 AM

1,343 posts, read 5,168,423 times
Now that I live in a culinary wasteland, I have to travel to actually "dine!"

DelFriscos in Orlando - THE best steak I have ever had and what a wine list!
Commander's Palace in New Orleans - Shrimp Remoulade.
Escargot & Pouilly-Fuisse at a place in Dijon, can't remember the name.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:05 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,480,453 times
El Charro Cafe in Tucson, Arizona! (the older one)

http://www.elcharrocafe.com/

Old 02-23-2007, 04:22 PM

279 posts, read 1,859,175 times
I've never eaten at that fancy of a place. But Lucilles Smokehouse is our family favorite.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:26 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,252 times
Well, I'm not into anything fancy. In Pensacola, we have MacGuire's Irish Pub, with some of the best food I've had. It also has a really great atmosphere! I also like La Hacienda, best Mexican food around! The family started in Milton, but now has 3 or 4 restaurants, total. The others are in Pensacola. There are other places, but those two came to mind first. There are also some places that I haven't tried, yet, that have a good reputation. Maybe one of these days... I don't eat out, much, so I tend to stick to what I know.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:36 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,015,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Well, I'm not into anything fancy. In Pensacola, we have MacGuire's Irish Pub, with some of the best food I've had. It also has a really great atmosphere!.
I have eaten at McGuire's and enjoyed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink