Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2009, 12:29 AM

543 posts, read 2,309,745 times

Advertisements

Deep fried turkey
cornbread dressing
sweet potatoes
broccoli rice casserole
creamy corn
orange sherbert jello salad
noodles
relish plate
gravy (we like gravy over our noodles and dressing)
cranberry strawberry relish
pumpkin pie, chocolate pie, pecan pie, custard pie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 12:33 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
We typically do a turkey, stuffing, all the works - this year, my dh & my FIL had an argument. To "punish" my 36 year old dh, my FIL decided not to come for Thanksgiving. My kids have always had Thanksgiving with that set of Gparents and were crushed - how do you explain to a 7 year old that Grandpa is sulking and that Grandma won't stand up to him? We've been invited to many different tables, but my dh & kids are pretty upset and don't want to be with others on what used to be their favorite holiday.

So, to help take the sting out of their little broken hearts, we've let the kids plan the menu.

We're having:

Pepperoni & Sausage Pizza
Corn
Broccoli
salad
Donuts
French Fries
Chocolate Fondue with Strawberries and Pound Cake
Fruit & Veggie platter
Pumpkin Pie
Macademia Nut Cream Pie

It will certainly be an interesting meal!
Bless their little hearts, if they are happy, you will be happy and they picked broccoli?

Old 11-23-2009, 02:15 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
I thought this forum asked if we used the term "stuffing" or "dressing". I usually call it stuffing, which is ironic because I have NEVER had it stuffed inside the bird. Ever. It's always been made as a side dish.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:44 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,844,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
We typically do a turkey, stuffing, all the works - this year, my dh & my FIL had an argument. To "punish" my 36 year old dh, my FIL decided not to come for Thanksgiving. My kids have always had Thanksgiving with that set of Gparents and were crushed - how do you explain to a 7 year old that Grandpa is sulking and that Grandma won't stand up to him? We've been invited to many different tables, but my dh & kids are pretty upset and don't want to be with others on what used to be their favorite holiday.

So, to help take the sting out of their little broken hearts, we've let the kids plan the menu.

We're having:

Pepperoni & Sausage Pizza
Corn
Broccoli
salad
Donuts
French Fries
Chocolate Fondue with Strawberries and Pound Cake
Fruit & Veggie platter
Pumpkin Pie
Macademia Nut Cream Pie

It will certainly be an interesting meal!
How very sad and immature of Grandpa-life is too short.

Blessings to you and DH and the children.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:31 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,937,498 times
Bless their little hearts, if they are happy, you will be happy and they picked broccoli?

They know I love veggies and that broccoli is one of my favorites

Their grandparents are the ones who are missing out!

Old 11-23-2009, 06:41 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,331,410 times
NALgirl - Tomato pudding is a real southern dish that my father in law had when he was little (over 80 years ago). It is FANTASTIC!!!! It is canned tomatoes, white bread cubes, sugar and butter cooked on the stovetop. It is very easy and is the consistency of a 'pudding'.

I love it and it is so easy, I can cook it on the stove in about 10 minutes - which is a lifesaver (too many oven dishes already).

Old 11-23-2009, 07:11 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,688,396 times
Grandpa needs to get over it and make his family happy,especially the grandkids! Live is short and we may not see tomorrow so move on and enjoy the time together. JMO.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:23 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,736,035 times
Every year I tell the family I won't go through this ever again (I'm the sole cook on Thanksgiving)...and yet, here we go again! I overdo it every year, but I can't help myself.

Homemade cheeseball (the one thing hubby makes)
Dill Deviled Eggs
Turkey (roasted while covered in cheesecloth, basted in wine and butter)
Stuffing
Mashed Potatoes (w/roasted garlic, sour cream and fresh garlic chives)
Fresh Sweet Potato Casserole (in pecan/brown sugar/cinnamon/vanilla sauce--hubby insists it be topped with marshmallows)
Honey Roasted Parsnips/Turnips/Carrots
Green Bean Casserole (nothing canned)
Spinach Soufflé
Pumpkin Pie
Martinelli's Sparkling Cider

...and then, a coma.

Last edited by rayneinspain; 11-23-2009 at 11:43 AM..

Old 11-23-2009, 05:33 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,553,385 times
Question What will be on YOUR Thanksgiving table this year...

I mean, other than the obvious!!

I am a traditionalist...stuffing, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, dinner rolls, pumpkin and apple pies. We have a 9# "Lil Butterball" thawing as I speak...

Can't stand yams or cranberry sauce, although I do make the cbs fresh for dh.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:02 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,981,665 times
Pizza!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink