Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2009, 06:53 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,541,177 times

Advertisements

Aside from the obvious above:

sauted sweet potatoes with apples/pecans
cinnamon brown sugar glazed carrots
and a caramel pecan pie added to the pumpkin and apple pies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 07:21 PM

65 posts, read 180,896 times
Mac n cheese

Old 11-23-2009, 08:28 PM

14 posts, read 42,092 times
just made out my menu/grocery list:

turkey breast, ham, mashed potatoes, gravy, dressing, cranberries (yes, the jellied type), deviled eggs, corn casserole, green bean casserole, mandarin jello salad, sweet potatoes...pretty much the standard!! But I love fixing this special meal.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:43 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,555,245 times
Ours will be fairly traditional, 'cept there'll be THREE fried turkeys (gotta make it worth all that oil!), prolly a ham, a tofurkey (for me), a raw veggie tray, LOTS of olives for little fingers, all the regulars (stuffing, mashed tatoes, green beans casserole, cranberry sauce, pecan pie, pumpkin pie), and MY tradition - creme brûlée. Oh, and lots of wine, champagne, and "kids wine" (sparkling cider). We have much to be thankful for, ESP healthy twin grandbabies who will be just a bit over 2 weeks old!

Old 11-23-2009, 09:13 PM

317 posts, read 1,751,227 times
Congrats on the new grandbabies jules07!

We will have the standard meal- turkey, mashed pot., stuffing, corn, green bean casserole, rolls, mac and cheese, cranberry sauce, and collards. desserts- pass me the sweet potato pie, pumpkin and apple pies too. We do a big lunch veggie tray with some cheeses and pickles. I munch on the veggies while cooking and watching the dog show.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:27 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,847 times
Baked macaroni and cheese with panko breadcrumbs on top
Homemade orange-cranberry relish
Herb stuffing
Sweet potatoes with marshmallows
Mashed red potatoes w/ Tofurkey vegan "gravy"
Pillsbury buttery crescent rolls (yes, I'm embarrassed to admit...from the SCARY can that pops! I'm fearing opening that thing already...)
Pumpkin pie (purchased from Whole Foods)

...and NO turkey! A vegetarian thanksgiving for my husband and I. We enjoy our yearly carb fest!

Old 11-24-2009, 08:13 AM

302 posts, read 868,603 times
I guess people outside of New England don't eat turnip and squash for Thanksgiving.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:55 AM

1,707 posts, read 2,984,180 times
Turkey
Honey Glazed Ham
Dressing
Corn Casserole
Green Bean Casserole
Cranberry sauce
Gravy
Homemade rolls/cornbread
Homemade Amish bread
Mashed Potatoes
Sweet Potatoes
Pumpkin Pie
Pecan Pie

Old 11-24-2009, 10:22 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Turkey
Mashed potatoes
Corn bread and sausage stuffing from scratch (new recipe kindly shared from a CD member)
Gravy
Green bean casserole
Apple and cranberry jello salad
Cranberry jelly, the canned stuff
Rolls
Pumpkin and apple pies

I'd make more food but we're going to be a small crowd. Also, I only have one oven, and making a lot of food is always a trick! I am making the mashed potatoes tomorrow and warming them in my big crockpot on T-Day. I'll also make the cornbread ahead and prep the rest of the stuffing, so when the turkey comes out of the oven to rest and be carved, the stuffing and green beans will go in to bake. The pies will go in when we sit down to eat.

I also call it "stuffing" despite never stuffing the bird. (Don't like it that way.) I think that's technically "dressing," but the habit is ingrained in me.

Day Before Mashed Potatoes - All Recipes
Green Bean Casserole I - All Recipes
Cranberry-Pineapple Minis - All Recipes (made as one big salad, no walnuts)

Old 11-24-2009, 01:27 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aville239 View Post
I guess people outside of New England don't eat turnip and squash for Thanksgiving.
It's not Thanksgiving dinner for me without rutabagas Cubed, boiled and lightly mashed served with just butter and s&p. And I'm going to have baked acorn squash this year (second generation Washington DC native here)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink