Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2015, 05:43 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,812,030 times

Advertisements

Butter, flour, and water??? Gack!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 06:16 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Oh Jesus Lord. What is the thought process you are using?
You remind me of my former DIL. She was making turkey for the first time. Her mother told her to drain off all the pan drippings, then make gravy with butter, flour and water. Thank God I was there to stop her.
I don't know if it's a Vermont thing or just if it's just what my peeps did, but that is just the way it's done

Old 10-10-2015, 06:53 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
We made a bacon wrapped turkey last year - it turned out great, very juicy, and the gravy didn't taste like bacon either.

We prefer white meat, and it may just be the two of us this year, so I'm thinking of a bacon-wrapped turkey breast with all the usual trimmings. My favorite part is whole berry cranberry sauce made in my special "wreath of roses" jello mold which I use 1-2 times per year.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:59 PM

Thanksgiving Menus-image.jpeg

My bacon-wrapped turkey.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:59 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times
My son took over the cranberry sauce last year, so that's his job now. It's funny, because my in-laws had no idea one can make cranberry sauce... and until I met them, I hadn't heard of the stuff that comes in a can. So, it's a yearly battle: they show up with a can and refuse to touch the homemade stuff because it's not the familiar cylindrical shape

Old 10-10-2015, 07:02 PM

Thanksgiving Menus-image.jpeg

My pretty cranberry sauce. Sorry for all the posts, I couldn't figure out how to attach more than one photo at once.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:07 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,605,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
My son took over the cranberry sauce last year, so that's his job now. It's funny, because my in-laws had no idea one can make cranberry sauce... and until I met them, I hadn't heard of the stuff that comes in a can. So, it's a yearly battle: they show up with a can and refuse to touch the homemade stuff because it's not the familiar cylindrical shape
With the circular lines impressed on it from the can. Yum! None of those hard little berries for me.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:44 PM

811 posts, read 1,146,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I've made all kinds of jellied cranberries, cranberry jams, cranberry sauces, cranberry relishes... too, and they're great, AND I'm usually a strong devotee to all things fresh and scratch-made, but I have to admit, there is something familiarly delicious about the canned jellied cranberries. Honestly, I'd probably pick a round slab of that, can lines and all, over most homemade cranberry options at the Thanksgiving table too.

My usual menu:

- Brined, roasted turkey (cavity either filled with the a slight amount of stuffing or onions, garlic, lemons, and a ton of fresh herbs, or both) with the most delicious, buttery crispy skin (a lattice of bacon would totally ruin the skin AND the drippings - yikes).
-Gravy, most definitely using the delicious, flavorful pan drippings.
- Canned cranberry jelly and a homemade cranberry jam
- Dressing with chorizo sausage, day-old baguette, loads of microscopically chopped mirepoix, and lots of butter and fresh herbs (this one is a must every year, or I'm in the dog house)
- Sautéed fresh green beans with charred onions, garlic, pepper, toasted sliced almonds, finished a tiny bit of butter and some lemon zest OR sautéed or roasted brussel sprouts
- MASHED POTATOES
- roasted yams with rosemary and either bleu cheese or parmesan
- Grandma's recipe for dinner rolls (IMO, this is all we need for the whole dang menu. They are more addictive than crack and worse for your waste line, but oh so worth it.)
- a broccoli and rice casserole made with good old Velveeta (oh how I love Velveeta, I don't care what anyone thinks!) that has been a must at my family's Thanksgiving table my whole life.

Dessert (usually handled by the talented pastry chefs - Mom and Sis - NOT me ):
- Chocolate Pots du creme with Frangelico
- Pumpkin Pie (home-grown pumpkins, courtesy of Dad's garden)
- Apple Pie (yep, home-grown apples too)

It's all pretty traditional, but that's kind of what's special about it.

Last edited by IslandCityGirl; 10-10-2015 at 08:11 PM..

Old 10-10-2015, 08:29 PM

Boy, cranberries are sure divisive! I'm not too precious to eat the canned jelly version, but it would be the very last choice, after all other cranberry options have been exhausted.

The one I make is a very traditional cooked version - just cranberries, sugar, water, and a little lemon or orange rind. I like the canned whole berry stuff pretty well in a pinch.

Don't tell me a cranberry Jell-O salad is cranberry sauce, and we'll all be just fine.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:39 PM

811 posts, read 1,146,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Boy, cranberries are sure divisive! I'm not too precious to eat the canned jelly version, but it would be the very last choice, after all other cranberry options have been exhausted.

The one I make is a very traditional cooked version - just cranberries, sugar, water, and a little lemon or orange rind. I like the canned whole berry stuff pretty well in a pinch.

Don't tell me a cranberry Jell-O salad is cranberry sauce, and we'll all be just fine.
Debsi, I had forgotten to mention that your cranberry roses are beautiful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink