Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2016, 07:59 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times

Advertisements

Going out as I don't cook - Prie fixe $39 pp

FIRST COURSE

Deviled Eggs
Truffle Chive Vinaigrette
Butternut Squash Soup
Rye Croutons
Holiday Salad
Mixed Greens, Dried Cranberries, Goat Cheese & Candied Pecans

MAIN COURSE

Sliced Roast Turkey & Trimmings
Green Beans, Sweet Potatoes, Sage Apple Sausage Stuffing & Cranberry Sauce

DESSERT

Pumpkin Cheesecake
Nutella Bread Pudding
Molten Chocolate Cake
Salted Caramel Pudding Jar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 08:00 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,226,110 times
Hungry Man turkey TV dinners.

Old 11-05-2016, 08:02 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
All of these meals sound so good!

We're doing a turkey and a prime rib roast. Sides will be: stuffing & gravy, mashed potatoes, rice, rolls, salad, green beans, mixed greens. Dessert will be apple and pumpkin pie and vanilla ice cream.

Old 11-05-2016, 08:43 PM

483 posts, read 418,462 times
I most always do Thanksgiving at my mother in law's..

Her spread is pretty much the same..

Starters:
Nut rolls
Cheese and summer sausage platter
Wine

Main:
Turkey with trimmings

Sides:
Green beans casserole
Sweet potatoes casserole
Mash potatoes
Corn casserole
Stuffings with kielbasa
Cranberry jelly
Beet pickled eggs

Dessert:
Cake of some variation
(She baked it, like pineapple cake, coconut cake, orange cake, red velvet etc.. every year is switched up)
Apple pie
Pumpkin pie
Ice cream

Yum-yum!!!

Old 11-05-2016, 11:05 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Four things I make sure we have: Turkey, Giblet Gravy, Green Bean Casserole, and Scalloped Oysters.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
as usual in recent years we are going to granddaughters for Turkey. they usually do 2 of them, both cooked on the grill or in some sort of machine. I miss the old fashion giblet gravy, but have to live with what they do and how they do it. I am just glad we have family to spend holidays with. We will just have returned from out 2 week trip so I have volunteered to do sweet potatoes and a side dish. I hope to get asparagus on sale, if not probably will do broccoli. What else, I don't know. Oldest granddaugher will probably do a cranberry salad I guess and daughter maybe appetizers. She won;t get back from a 2 week plus trip to Europe until the Tues before, just like us. This makes it a very rushed holiday. Christmas should be a little saner .

Old 11-06-2016, 05:48 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
Well, unless the election results cause a huge fight that lasts through November, looks like another quiet holiday with the inlaws. Menu will include:

Turkey
Tofurky
Gravy
Stuffing with Italian sausage
Mashed potatoes
Homemade cranberry sauce (even though I know they will bring, and only eat, the canned jellied stuff)
Roasted sweet potatoes
Steamed green beans
Parkerhouse rolls

Dessert: pumpkin pie and apple pie

Drinks: white wine, Trader Joe's Simple Times beer, root beer for the kids

Old 11-06-2016, 07:26 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
It's just my girlfriend this year and I opted out of my usual thing hosting around 10 long time friends. I'm going to skip the turkey this year. Grilled boneless duck breast on the Weber.

My traditional sides are:
Cranberry sauce using the recipe on the berry bag but substituting OJ for water and a shot of Grand Marnier at the end.

Chestnut stuffing. Carrot/celery/onion mirpoix, butter, sauvignon blanc, chicken stock, roasted/shelled chestnuts, bag of store stuffing mix, Bell's if I have it or sage/thyme otherwise.

A cheat gravy from canned chicken/turkey stock, some sauteed onion, More Than Gourmet roasted chicken stock base, butter, and Wondra. Seasoned with salt & pepper and a bit of thyme.

French green beans/haricot verts with toasted sliced almonds. I steam them in a bit of water with olive oil so the water all boils off and slightly stir fry them at the end.

Mashed carrot & turnip

Butternut squash with maple syrup

Apple pie. I usually use the KitchenAid mixer pie crust recipe. I'm going to try the Cuisinart food processor this year. I do a basic granny smith/cinnamon/sugar and thicken with tapioca.

When it's 10 people, it would be turkey and I'd add mashed potato, and pecan & pumpkin pies.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:29 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
We gather with Mr. CSD's family in the middle of where everyone lives and spend the weekend together and our Thanksgiving Feast is at a local restaurant. It is very relaxing, a wonderful time to reconnect and no dishes to be cleaned up.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:37 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Since my husband died and I live in a condo now we have been doing Thanksgiving at my sister's instead of my house.

Her hubby makes a deep fried turkey and the gals make mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, Italian sausage & mushroom stuffing, corn soufflé, asparagus, cranberry sauce and rolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink