Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2016, 12:11 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,383,055 times

Advertisements

I'm going out of state to visit relatives for Thanksgiving so don't know what exactly is on the menu. My brother will probably use an infrared cooker for the turkey(ies) - he used to fry it but that takes a lot of oil. My SIL, sister, and niece will cook. I'm bringing pies that I ordered from a fancy pie place - pumpkin, banana cream, and French silk chocolate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 11:57 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nALgirl View Post
I Love To Cook! But.....I would love to cook something different for Thanksgiving. We have chicken and dressing every 3-4 months, corn and mashed potatoes almost weekly. I would like to cook half a turkey breast and a couple of thighs (3 adults and 1 child this year), roasted Brussels sprouts and kale and potatoe and leek casserole. Unfortunately, the other adults expect the "traditional" turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, corn, etc.
In the end it is all about family and I'm thankful my family loves my cooking.
Really, I think a turkey is about the simplest way to feed a lot of people. I would never deviate on TG. There are 364 other days in the year to experiment.

Old 11-22-2016, 01:11 PM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times
SO will be released from overnight medical procedures around 9:00 am. I will have a turkey breast in the smoker, cornbread muffins with cheese, onion, peppers and bacon and a big green salad. Mini pecan pies (a CD friend sent me these awesome old tins which are really small pies) and cognac I have been hiding for over ten years.

Friday friends will stop by. Italian milk road of pork tenderloin wrapped in bacon, garlic, onions, cream and rosemary, crusty country bread to sop the good stuff up, green salad; lace cookies rolled over a broom stick filled with vanilla ice cream and on the side plums in merlot and honey.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:08 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,784 times
I love Thanksgiving!

Turkey
Stuffing
Cranberry sauce (2 kinds)
Mashed potatoes/gravy
Sweet potato casserole
Glazed brussels sprouts
Scalloped oysters

Apple pie
Pumpkin pie

Old 11-23-2016, 10:12 AM

872 posts, read 827,726 times
Turkey
Ham
Potato Salad
Corn Bread Dressing
Green Beans
Corn on the Cob
Sweet Potatoes
Black Eyed Peas
Collard Greens
Dinner Rolls
Pumpkin Pie
Pecan Pie
Cherry Pie
Apple Pie

Old 11-23-2016, 10:26 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,415,867 times
A last-minute change for us - no pies. Hubby wants to make a sticky toffee pudding (with bacon) instead and we don't need multiple desserts. There will be only 4 of us and we're trying to avoid having leftovers that we'll be tempted to eat ourselves once the company is gone.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:45 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,084,878 times
My Thanksgiving kitchen is officially closed. I am finished with my baking. I am in "charge" of desserts. I never know how many people will show-up sis #3's house. This is what I have prepared:

apple pies
chocolate pie
pecan pie
rice krispy treats
NY style cheesecake
Nutella brownies
carrot cake
chocolate pudding cake

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Old 11-23-2016, 11:51 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,303,705 times
Short menu this year:

ham
creamed potatoes with gravy
dressing/stuffing made with turkey broth
cranberry sauce
green beans seasoned with bacon
corn
yeast rolls
sweet potato pie with ice cream and whipped cream.

Happy Thanksgiving! I can't wait for 2017!!!

Old 11-23-2016, 12:19 PM

For breakfast, sausage and gravy casserole

Very small dinner menu this year.

Turkey
Stuffing
Mashed Potatoes
Gravy
Sweet potato
Cranberry orange relish
Brussels sprouts
Pecan pie

Old 11-14-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
I don't mind fixing something like the dreaded casserole if it's only once a year, but I'm very sensitive to sodium and with the canned beans, canned soup, and canned onion rings, I can't touch this stuff. If anyone wants to do a healthier version, just cook some fresh green beans and mix them with sauteed mushrooms. Either fry up some onions or use some of the canned onions, just not the entire can. Much less sodium, and my green-bean-casserole-loving son finds this acceptable.
You could use low sodium soup, and I don’t think there is salt in frozen green beans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink