Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 08:08 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arod0331 View Post
What a shame; I'm 29 and my sister in law is 20, we obviously like them. But it is too bad more young people don't like them...we all have a blast.
Such a disappointment. People now days are too busy on their cell phones. In the good old days, if you wanted to touch base with someone, you went over to their house and had a cup of tea and a snack. Nobody does that anymore. It's so sad. We've all become so isolated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 08:23 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Keep trying! Somebody's got to organize it - eventually people will get the idea and join in!

Old 11-26-2008, 05:31 AM

202 posts, read 358,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
We have friends who do something similar, but with a very unique twist. Each year, usually the first weekend of December, they gather about a dozen or fifteen people together at their home for a massive cookie-baking marathon.

Or I might possibly make tiny pecan tarts, though as one person has a nut allergy, I'd have to get creative to get around that. I'm thinking Grape Nuts cereal might work as a crunchy substitute for small pecan pieces. I'm going to experiment a little this weekend and see which comes out better.
A cookie party like that sounds amazing! I wish I could get friends together like that...but I am one of the only ones my age (20) who is adept and patient enough for baking! Which is quite sad, really... Please post the recipe is you make grape nuts cookies! Those sound really good!

Old 11-26-2008, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
there were thumbprints, some of those I forget the name: a metal thing you fried them on, many I don't know the name of.

I always made candy cane cookies (labor intensive but yummy).
Are you thinking of rosettes? delicate rosettes–the tenth Christmas “cookie” « Joyous Thirst I have never made them, but I have heard of them!

And candy cane cookies...my grandmother makes those every year. I love them, but I'm really too lazy.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:05 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdytoGo View Post
Please post the recipe is you make grape nuts cookies! Those sound really good!
If the experiment is successful, I'll gladly come back and post it. I'd sooner use my family for guinea pigs than all my foodie friends on CD; if the spouse & offspring agree that it's a reasonable substitute, I'll share it with the rest of y'all. The basic recipe, with pecans, is a decades-long family favorite at Christmas time, but I've never made them for this big annual cookie extravaganza due to the allergy issue. I've been mulling over different possible alternatives that could provide a similar appearance, flavor and mouth-feel, and Grape Nuts was the closest I could come. I'm hoping that they'll keep at least some of their crunch through the baking process.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:00 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyC64 View Post
ONLY 44.....dang, you're ancient......44 years old; good grief.....geriatrics cookie brigade...that means you were born in 1964, why that's.....the same year I was born......why you're just a sweet young thing, them silly girls don't know what they missed do they
LOL, I was actually born at the end of 1963--I will be 45 soon.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:59 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Yes, Rosettes and Pizzelles - thanks for the name (I remembered Pizzelles) - Candy Cane cookies are labor intensive but oh so good - I also love the old-fashioned cream cheese cookies that you do through a cookie press.

Quote:
Are you thinking of rosettes? delicate rosettes–the tenth Christmas “cookie” « Joyous Thirst I have never made them, but I have heard of them!

And candy cane cookies...my grandmother makes those every year. I love them, but I'm really too lazy.

Old 11-26-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
I also love the old-fashioned cream cheese cookies that you do through a cookie press.
Ahh, I love making spritz cookies through my cookie press.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:20 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Quote:
Ahh, I love making spritz cookies through my cookie press.
Care to share your recipe? They stay so nice and soft/chewy.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Care to share your recipe? They stay so nice and soft/chewy.
It's the one from my press book. I would love to share, but at the moment I am in Wales and won't be back home to the Midwest until December 18th. I'm sorry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink