Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 01:12 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times

Advertisements

If you have an idea or comment or observation that doesn't desrve a full thread of iits own, tell us about it here. Just stay on Food/Drink Topic, and feel welcome to comment on previous posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 01:19 PM

Today, I popped a frozen pizza in the oven for lunch. But it looked like there was too much ice on the top, so I swept it quickly under the hot water tap---no more than a second, so I could pour off the melted ice. Guess what? The bottom got damp in the process, and it turned out much nicer than usual---a softer, chewier crust. I also lowered the oven temp by 50* and left it in about 3 minutes longer than called for.

Don't ask:: I don't know why I thought the ice wouldn't simply melt, and leave the same amount of moistire in the pizza as what I added by rsinsing it. But the important thing here seems to be the dampened bottom. Maybe you can just set your frozen pizza down on a wet countertop for a few seconds before putting it in the oven.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:37 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,187,858 times
Good thread. I wonder what it will bring Somebody at church told me a neat trick. When cooking things that foam, like rice and beans, wipe a little oil around the inner top of the pot (and lid) and the foam won't boil over. I've been making bean soups lately and am always making rice. It works. When the bubbles reach the greased rim, they collapse rather than dribbling out under the lids (I've got some glass lids).

Seems I heard something related to this on a cooking program, regarding making meringue or something similar. The point was that the bowl and utensils had to be 100% grease free or the product wouldn't rise.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:37 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,333,392 times
Gee, I usually try to avoid having a damp bottom, but perhaps I ought to try it some time....

Sorry, couldn't resist, got my weekend sillies on!

Old 12-07-2008, 02:05 PM

Quietwalker, I just splash a few drops of oil right into the water, or even a dab of butter. The oil stays on top, and beats the foam down at the surface. It works so fast, that if it starts to foam, you can zap it with a bit of oil, and it will go down in a second or two.

By the way, I saved an old tabasco sauce bottle, with the plastic insert in the top with the little hole, and I keep that full of olive oil right next to my stove. Not necessary to keep the screw-on lid, just leave it open. It keeps fine. Grab and splash convenience. A squeezable salad dressing bottle would work, too, if it has that little hole. Cut off and throw away the flip top part of the cap.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:00 PM

3,591 posts, read 1,153,116 times
This brings to mind helpful hints while cooking I have one for the microwave.. For all us foodies who love leftovers or freezer food..... Place a small glass of water in your microwave while reheating/ heating. It will keep the moisture in the food where it belongs. This tip works well with pastas, torllas, breads, and so on. Just a thought.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:24 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,468,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberbaby27 View Post
This brings to mind helpful hints while cooking I have one for the microwave.. For all us foodies who love leftovers or freezer food..... Place a small glass of water in your microwave while reheating/ heating. It will keep the moisture in the food where it belongs. This tip works well with pastas, torllas, breads, and so on. Just a thought.
Does it work for fries?

Old 12-07-2008, 06:45 PM

3,591 posts, read 1,153,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Does it work for fries?
Sure I don't see why not

Old 12-08-2008, 08:20 PM

Clothes-pins are great for reclosing plastic bags, like bread bags. Much easier to pop on and off than twist ties.

They also make great Christmas gifts. They come in packages of 96, but nobody needs that many, so split them up and give 8 people a dozen each.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:47 PM

A little item about the physics of cookery. Do you know how a rice cooker works? How does it know when the rice is done?

It is impossible to raise the temperature of water above 212*. Any additional energy converts the water to steam, instead of raising the temperature. There is a sensor in the bottom of the cooker that triggers a shut-off switch when it reaches a temperature above 212---say, 215. As long as there is water covering the sensor, it will not go above 212. But as soon as all the water is absorbed by the rice, the rice can rise above the limiting temperature of 212, and triggers the shutoff, switching the element to a warming temperature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink