Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you eat fruitcakes or throw them at people?
Yes, I like/love them! It's not the jolly holidays without them! 33 52.38%
No, I hate/dislike them! They're only good for doorstops and beating my car when it won't start! 21 33.33%
Anyone got some chocolate? 9 14.29%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 04:53 PM

620 posts, read 1,950,477 times

Advertisements

My Nana makes them every year and sends them to all her special people. I am wondering if the people actually eat it? She usually is a great cook, but just the thought of fruit cake makes me kind of feel icky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 04:58 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,576,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
Ok, it's the holiday season. Let's just go ahead and get rid of the big ol' elephant in the room (and no, I'm not talking about my butt). I'm talking about fruitcakes. Are you for them? Do you love them to death? Can't imagine the holidays w/o some fruitcake and coffee?

Do you hate them? Do you use them to hold open your doors, kick around when you've lost your soccer ball, etc?
When it comes to fruit cakes i will take all you want to send me . DM me i will give you my address. the home less love them. Merry Christmass to all !

Old 12-09-2008, 05:12 PM

714 posts, read 2,305,406 times
OMG I can't believe fruitcake has a chance of winning. I voted to see the results. I was so sure it would be a blowout against.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:14 PM

285 posts, read 616,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
I love a good fruitcake. I love the fruit with the saltiness and crunch of the nuts along with the stiff cake consistancy. My ex MIL used to make a variation with softer cake texture and a cream cheese frosting on it that was soaked in rum and cured for days. It was good but too rich.

I really like them. Even have several recipes that vary depending on ingredients. I make one with dried pineapple, candied ginger and pecans that I actually bake in muffin or mini muffin pans. Perfect size. Also a dried apricot and pecan. Personally, I'm not big on red or green cherries but the dried ones....ummmmmmm.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:53 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,544,831 times
Only if it's Caribbean style fruitcake, which is known as black cake. The fruit with which it's made often soaks for months or years in rum, making for a very potent cake. After it's baked, it's regularly doused with rum to keep it moist and flavorful.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:57 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,615,836 times
The only fruitcake I have ever liked is the Claxton Fruitcake. I thought they were from Eastern North Carolina and recently learned they come from Georgia. You won't use this one as a door stopper. Yum! Yum!

http://www.claxtonfruitcake.com/

Old 12-09-2008, 09:03 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,331,486 times
I do like a good fruitcake, which is to say, not most commercially prepared ones. Home-made fruitcake, preferably well soaked with rum or bourbon, is wonderful.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:48 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,592,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyrhydyr View Post
I really like them. Even have several recipes that vary depending on ingredients. I make one with dried pineapple, candied ginger and pecans that I actually bake in muffin or mini muffin pans. Perfect size. Also a dried apricot and pecan. Personally, I'm not big on red or green cherries but the dried ones....ummmmmmm.
OOOhhh, that sounds really good! I've never made fruitcake. I gather they are expensive to produce. If you ever feel like it or have the time, please post the recipe. I love pineapple and pecans.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:29 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,068 times
I have never had a homemade fruitcake, but agree with a previous poster about the claxton fruitcakes. they are delicious. we stopped in georgia and bought them there while passing through. they also sell them at Sam's clubs. When I was a kid, the old Rainbo bread company used to have the best-ever fruit cake! My dad loved it. I think he could have eaten a whole 5lb fruitcake by himself. I know it sounds stupid, but he died 3 years ago, and at the holidays, when people talk about fruitcakes, makes me really miss him.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:56 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,297,179 times
As long as it has plenty of nuts I enjoy it. When it has more raisins then everything else I can pass it up! For me a good fruit cake does not have a ton of raisins in it! I also enjoy the ones heavy in brandy or rum! YUM!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink