Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 06:55 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times

Advertisements

it depends on our mood.... sometimes we do the courses... but a lot of the time we do the usual salad, dinner, dessert....

I am not huge on a giant slab of pasta though.... hubby is. When I first started to date him I went to a family party at his aunts house (he is Italian) and they came out first thing with this SLAB of lasagna... so I ate it and the whole time he is telling me not to finish it. I finish it... and next thing ya know an old Italian aunt puts another slab in front of me... and I nearly croak.... but then the dishes are cleared and then DINNER comes out! Salad wasnt even next!!!! I was shocked... I had no clue that was just one of the COURSES!!!!! It was my first lesson on the courses of Italian meals.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 08:21 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,765,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
So minniemouse please share with us as I am one of those "stupid Americans" that thought pasta was the main deal in a meal.

What would I be served, in order, if I came to your house and we went to an Italian restaurant?
Hello Jaxson,
can you do me this answer in a different manner?
I don't understand...

Do you want know what you can order to Italian restaurant?

Old 12-15-2008, 10:38 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
sorry but in Italian cuisine, pasta and rice are not a side dish, but a first course. only potatoes are a side dish. they have just a small portion of pasta or rice followed by a second course of protein.

My point is its not the main course. In our family we have Antipasto, soup, then pasta, then the main course of fish, chicken, veal or beef, etc. but you don't eat a huge plate of pasta, its sized more like a side dish. Poor choice of words on my part.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:22 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,416,916 times
"My point is its not the main course. In our family we have Antipasto, soup, then pasta, then the main course of fish, chicken, veal or beef, etc. but you don't eat a huge plate of pasta, its sized more like a side dish. Poor choice of words on my part."

Agree My husbands family though ends there meal(s) with salad..........then the fruit, nuts, pastries, coffee and of course some wine

Old 12-15-2008, 12:28 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,416,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
it depends on our mood.... sometimes we do the courses... but a lot of the time we do the usual salad, dinner, dessert....

I am not huge on a giant slab of pasta though.... hubby is. When I first started to date him I went to a family party at his aunts house (he is Italian) and they came out first thing with this SLAB of lasagna... so I ate it and the whole time he is telling me not to finish it. I finish it... and next thing ya know an old Italian aunt puts another slab in front of me... and I nearly croak.... but then the dishes are cleared and then DINNER comes out! Salad wasnt even next!!!! I was shocked... I had no clue that was just one of the COURSES!!!!! It was my first lesson on the courses of Italian meals.....
Do I remember those days The sad part was my family had no dishwasher Could never understand why we had to change the dishes I think that's why they had the 48 settings of china

Old 12-15-2008, 12:43 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,950,131 times
I lived in Italy for two years (Gaeta on the west coast, about 1 1/2 hours north of Naples, about 2 hours south of Rome). I really got spoiled there where eating at a restaurant was a social event, not the way we do it here in America. I can't go to an Italian restaurant here because I feel like they try to rush you through your meal and out the door so they can get the next cash cow in your table/booth.

But, for when I did Italian here, I order expecting the American version (lots of food on the plate, and only one plate - no appetizer or second dish).

Old 12-15-2008, 07:46 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemouse View Post
Hello Jaxson,
can you do me this answer in a different manner?
I don't understand...

Do you want know what you can order to Italian restaurant?

Hi minnie how is this?

If I came over to Italy and you and I went out to eat what would we be served first? Then followed by what and how many more dishes would be after that first course? See here in the USA if I go to an Italian food joint I would get a basket of bread on the table with some kind of cheese maybe a raw veggie plate. Then served a salad followed by a huge plate of pasta something. End of meal.

If it is at a fast food Italian food joint I would get an empty paper cup to fill up at a soda pop dispensing machine and one plate of pasta something like spaghetti, fettuccine, lasagna and a couple of break sticks that had garlic butter smeared on them. This food and empty cup would be placed on a plastic cafeteria style tray for me to carry to a table of my choosing to dinner from.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:00 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
My point is its not the main course. In our family we have Antipasto, soup, then pasta, then the main course of fish, chicken, veal or beef, etc. but you don't eat a huge plate of pasta, its sized more like a side dish. Poor choice of words on my part.
got it!

Old 12-16-2008, 07:02 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Unfortunately, this is true. Pasta is a SIDE DISH like rice or potatoes.
It might be for you, but what's wrong with it being a main dish? Nothing better. I'd take a good penne rigate puttanesca or gnocchi in basil pesto any day over a steak.

Rice can be a main dish too, e.g. biryani.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:10 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,140,200 times
Avoid the bread and rolls. Stay away from Alfredo and other heavy white sauces. Eat salads, seafoods, and red sauce dishes like spaghettin and rigatoni.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink