Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 11:24 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,121,762 times

Advertisements

From what I know, in Italy the rule is, when eating dinner at a restaurant, to order multiple courses: antipasto (appetizer), primo (typically pasta / soup / etc.), secondo (typically meat), maybe a dessert. But most Italian restaurants in the U.S., at least in my experience, seem to price their courses (primi or secondi) at the same price as an entree in similar restaurants, and serve a portion size of them that would discourage ordering a second course (or especially a second course AND dessert). You'd get too much food ordering four courses and pay a lot of money!

So, I'm asking....do you order multiple courses at Italian restaurants here in the U.S., or do you just do the same thing as in other restaurants, i.e. order appetizers for the table and an entree, and maybe a dessert?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 7,306 times
Amici restaurant linden nj great italian food!

Old 12-11-2008, 09:49 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
I can't finish half of what an "Italian" restaurant in America puts on the plate as an entree. I can eat for two days on what I take home. Great. I'd rather have a little soup, a little salad, maybe some fish and still wonder what is on the dessert menu.

I like splitting. When I go out with my Mom or someone willing, I order a small salad, split an appetizer, split a dinner and have a dessert. The cheque works out the same as if I'd just had the dinner. I don't feel as though I'm just taking table space, meaning, I didn't go into a busy place at dinnertime and use a table for two hours to eat a salad.

I really like places that offer small plates. A couple of those really hit the spot.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:34 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,489,531 times
you are right, they serve too much food in Italian restaurants here in the US. but nothing you can do about it. it's that idea that you are getting more for your money. but it doesnt make a balanced meal.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:46 PM

718 posts, read 2,325,071 times
Italian restaurants capitalize on the American stupidity here. Americans are content with eating just pasta and filling up with an unbalanced meal, as that is an upgrade from their TV dinners and rubber chicken nugget dinners. In Italy you eat a small portion of pasta and than have the main dish - usually fish or meat. This is a more expensive process for the restaurants, but Italy is not as much about the profit like the greedy American pigs. Restaurants in Italy usually strive to have the best service and reputation.

If the Italian restaurants here are not capitalizing on this, then they are just clueless to the cultural differences. Maybe Joe schmo American with the Italian last name just thinks everyone in Italy eats a pound of spaghetti with 3 pieces of shrimp on top.

Very few of the Italian restaurants in America are real and respect the tradition of serving many dishes in smaller quantities without charging you an arm and a leg.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:51 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
Italian restaurants capitalize on the American stupidity here. Americans are content with eating just pasta and filling up with an unbalanced meal, as that is an upgrade from their TV dinners and rubber chicken nugget dinners. In Italy you eat a small portion of pasta and than have the main dish - usually fish or meat. .
Unfortunately, this is true. Pasta is a SIDE DISH like rice or potatoes.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:20 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,692,527 times
because a lot of people believe that Italian cuisine=pasta and pizza.
. A lot of customers go to these restaurants with the idea that pasta is the main course, no one goes with eating an osobucco in mind. I bet most of them would complain and never come back if the pasta dishes were just tiny portions

Last edited by Hasdrubal; 12-14-2008 at 08:36 AM..

Old 12-14-2008, 09:12 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,489,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Unfortunately, this is true. Pasta is a SIDE DISH like rice or potatoes.
sorry but in Italian cuisine, pasta and rice are not a side dish, but a first course. only potatoes are a side dish. they have just a small portion of pasta or rice followed by a second course of protein.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:00 PM

2,994 posts, read 3,764,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
sorry but in Italian cuisine, pasta and rice are not a side dish, but a first course. only potatoes are a side dish. they have just a small portion of pasta or rice followed by a second course of protein.
You are right!

Old 12-14-2008, 04:59 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,184,960 times
So minniemouse please share with us as I am one of those "stupid Americans" that thought pasta was the main deal in a meal.

What would I be served, in order, if I came to your house and we went to an Italian restaurant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink