Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2012, 02:31 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,416,855 times

Advertisements

I used to enjoy the Dr Oetker Ristorante Pizzas. A thin crust and delicious toppings. Can't eat those any more though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 09:59 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I only buy organic thin crust pizzas - sometimes plain or margherita and add my own veggies, sometimes with veggies on it. My favorite supermarket (Publix) has come out with their own natural organic line of frozen pizzas that are out of this world. No, none of these are the cheapest, but definitely the best. I am diabetic and can't eat too much pizza, so when I want some these really fill the bill. I don't make my own crust anymore because I just never could get it thin enough.
Someone posted a pizza crust recipe here on CDF that is ideal for carb watchers/diabetics:

1 C steamed cauliflower, processed in a food processor

1 C shredded mozzarella cheese

1 beaten egg

Salt and pepper to taste, minced herbs and garlic if desired

Mix the first three ingredients and spread onto a round pizza pan. Sprinkle with your desired seasonings. Par bake in a 400 degree oven until edges just begin to develop some color. Remove pizza, top with desired toppings, and bake again until bubbly and done.

Another idea, since you like thin crusts, is to use some of those carb solutions ultra thin bread sandwich buns. Split and toast them first, then spread with sauce, top with cheese and toppings and bake in a hot oven. Back in the good old days when we were kids, my sister used this same method with plain English muffins. Everyone loved them when there wasn't anything prepared and we wanted a hot meal fast.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:09 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,164,518 times
I never had nor heard of Jacks pizzas until moving to IL. I do believe it is a regional brand.

And yes, it's quite good. They tend to go on sale 5/$10 and that's a steal.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:34 PM

464 posts, read 804,265 times
The BEST frozen pizza I've had is Central Market's (H-E-B). If you're in Texas and have a Central Market or H-E-B near you, pick one up. They're incredible! According to the box, they're made in Italy!

Now if only I could find New Haven-style pizza frozen......

Old 08-14-2012, 07:13 PM

12,540 posts, read 2,138,683 times
I just bought a Whole Foods 365 brand frozen pizza (I think it was a supreme) and it's now my favorite frozen pizza.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:35 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
My 13 yr. old likes Totinos too, for a frozen, cheap pizza. I sometimes add extra mozzarella.
I bought only two Totinos and each had, stuck to the underside of the crust, a few black thick straight hairs.

Disgusting. I will never, ever, buy that brand again.

Like a few previous posters, my favorite is DiGiornios Supreme. I don't like the rest of their line. Freschetta is a close second.

If my supermarket restocks, I like Shop Rite in those rectangular boxes (similar to Ellios, but better). These, I put extra chopped tomatoes on with extra cheese and a bit of extra virgin olive oil (especially on the crusts).

If you keep the heat really low and place a cover on it, you can reheat a slice nicely on a fry pan. Take the cover off after a while. It makes the crust crispy. I also put some corn meal under the crust to raise it from the cooking surface, helping it to dry out and crisp, too.

Last edited by goldengrain; 08-14-2012 at 09:46 PM..

Old 08-14-2012, 11:07 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
I don't think anyone mentioned Trader Joe's various pizzas. For a while I couldn't get enough of the BBQ chicken pizza, but when the quality started to falter, I switched to the Italian pizzas and they are all really good and require no additional "jazzing up".

Old 08-15-2012, 04:38 PM

464 posts, read 804,265 times
Although they're rather bland-tasting, as a kid back in the 70's & early 80's, I loved Celeste Pizza. Anyone remember those? Can't find them down here in Texas

Old 08-15-2012, 10:01 PM

986 posts, read 1,666,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountrywinefan View Post
Although they're rather bland-tasting, as a kid back in the 70's & early 80's, I loved Celeste Pizza. Anyone remember those? Can't find them down here in Texas
I haven't seen them here in Dallas. When I was in college, they had a 4 cheese pizza that I LOVED.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:04 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,737,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
We get the Totinos (sp?) pizzas because they are only $1.
Who could forget Totinos? I ate many a pepperoni Totinos back when I was in college. Haven't had one in almost twenty years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink