U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2022, 12:22 AM

15,638 posts, read 2,467,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
But is the crust remotely close to that of a good pizzeria's crust?

It's similar to a traditional pan pizza from a pizzeria. "Good" to you may vary to me.

Motor City Pizza vs DiGiorno Crispy Pan Crust

MCP: Square Pan, 9 even slices, $7-8
DCP: Rectangle Pan, 8 even slices, $8+
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2022, 06:01 AM

67,152 posts, read 50,094,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post
It's similar to a traditional pan pizza from a pizzeria. "Good" to you may vary to me.

Motor City Pizza vs DiGiorno Crispy Pan Crust

MCP: Square Pan, 9 even slices, $7-8
DCP: Rectangle Pan, 8 even slices, $8+

Yeah, I grew up in NNJ where some towns seemed to have a decent pizzeria on every other street corner, the only 'pan' pizza I recall in any of them was listed as Sicilian pizza. For me it's a thin, round crust that while crispy on the bottom isn't cracker-like like some frozen pizzas i've tried but has a nice degree of 'chew' to it that makes for a great pizza. That and a balance between the crust, sauce, cheese and toppings if desired, none of them overwhelm any other but work together to make GOOD EATS!

Old 05-13-2022, 06:53 AM

9,028 posts, read 4,990,183 times
I like Home Run Inn ultra thin crust pizza. Usually you can find it for less than $6, which is not bad.

Old 05-13-2022, 08:30 AM

78,870 posts, read 72,894,507 times
Quote:
Well, since the topic is frozen pizza, I'll ask a question I've been thinking of asking frozen pizza makers.

I can bring home a frozen pizza from a local Mom & Pop pizzeria, freeze individual slices, and when reheated in the toaster oven they're just like fresh pizzeria pizza. I have yet to have any brand of frozen pizza (and I've tried a fair number of them) that's remotely close to pizzeria pizza, the crust just isn't the same. I wonder if it's the difficulty of making a good pizzeria style crust on a production line, cost, or? I'd gladly pay what I pay for a pizzeria pizza IF the frozen pizza was really as good.
This is absolutely true. You might be on to something. When you go to a real pizza place, you SEE them tossing the crust for each individual pie, right? But it's obviously done one by one, and maybe that's the problem. That can't be replicated on a mass-production level.

Old 05-13-2022, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This is absolutely true. You might be on to something. When you go to a real pizza place, you SEE them tossing the crust for each individual pie, right? But it's obviously done one by one, and maybe that's the problem. That can't be replicated on a mass-production level.

All this pizza talk got me to thinking about how many jobs are being done by robotics these days so I did a little search. There are efforts to use robotics for making pizza including : https://www.zdnet.com/article/2022-i...powered-pizza/

And after seeing this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoyR1U7Y7Po of Boston Dynamics' robots in action I have to believe there's a real possibility robots could be 'taught' to toss pizza dough.

On the plus side, I just checked and saw a new pizzeria that's been in the works just up the road from me for what seemed an overly long time has opened and has 38 reviews on Google averaging 4.8 stars. Hope springs eternal as my favorite frozen pizza is still one I buy from a pizzeria and wrap/freeze individual slices myself.

Old 05-13-2022, 09:02 AM

5,753 posts, read 2,841,095 times
This is our favorite frozen pizza and we often top it with anchovies & thin sliced onions.

Pizza is very subjective and we prefer a thin crusted light style pie❗️
Attached Thumbnails
Favorite Frozen Pizza-ea86923b-6a60-4bbe-9f44-26aaaace9e14.jpeg  

Old 05-13-2022, 09:11 AM

15,187 posts, read 24,355,656 times
Back in California we have a warehouse club called Smart & Final. Smart & Final sold pizza sauce in a very large can, and frozen premade crust that were cardboard and shredded cheese in a 10 pound bag.

We went through a spate of trying different pizza places, little mom and pops, and weirdly all of their pizza tasted exactly the same. So I made a note to check because a lot of these places their cans are used like decorations, or you can see right into the kitchen.

These places got all their supplies from Smart & Final. We were in the janitorial business, we shopped there for bleach, other cleaning things, their food was not one of them. The S & F products were cheap for a reason. They were a little… subpar. There was a diner that we used to go to that also served S & F products… food quality dropped, we stopped going.

I finally had enough and told my husband that if we have to eat pizza every week, we’re gonna get good pizza, regardless of the fact that a good pizza cost 30 bucks. Life‘s too short to eat bad pizza.

Old 05-13-2022, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Back in California we have a warehouse club called Smart & Final. Smart & Final sold pizza sauce in a very large can, and frozen premade crust that were cardboard and shredded cheese in a 10 pound bag.

We went through a spate of trying different pizza places, little mom and pops, and weirdly all of their pizza tasted exactly the same. So I made a note to check because a lot of these places their cans are used like decorations, or you can see right into the kitchen.

These places got all their supplies from Smart & Final. We were in the janitorial business, we shopped there for bleach, other cleaning things, their food was not one of them. The S & F products were cheap for a reason. They were a little… subpar. There was a diner that we used to go to that also served S & F products… food quality dropped, we stopped going.

I finally had enough and told my husband that if we have to eat pizza every week, we’re gonna get good pizza, regardless of the fact that a good pizza cost 30 bucks. Life‘s too short to eat bad pizza.

Well said!

Old 05-13-2022, 11:11 AM

15,638 posts, read 2,467,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Quote:
All this pizza talk got me to thinking about how many jobs are being done by robotics these days so I did a little search. There are efforts to use robotics for making pizza including : https://www.zdnet.com/article/2022-i...powered-pizza/

And after seeing this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoyR1U7Y7Po of Boston Dynamics' robots in action I have to believe there's a real possibility robots could be 'taught' to toss pizza dough.

On the plus side, I just checked and saw a new pizzeria that's been in the works just up the road from me for what seemed an overly long time has opened and has 38 reviews on Google averaging 4.8 stars. Hope springs eternal as my favorite frozen pizza is still one I buy from a pizzeria and wrap/freeze individual slices myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Life‘s too short to eat bad pizza.

How many pies do you want?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCdgLPtLyCE

Old 05-13-2022, 11:42 AM

16,604 posts, read 8,150,604 times
Quote:
I forget whether last week or this week but Newman's Own pizzas were in the weekly circular @
2 for $10 here in NC.
Same here in WV. Had to ask hubby since he was the one that went out that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink