Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 11:02 AM

746 posts, read 2,176,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
So I decide to make that sweetened condensed milk caramel that you make by boiling the whole can, unopened, in a lot of water for several hours. Once it's done you simply open both ends of the can and walaaahhh..beautiful caramel. Well it's suppose to be that way....I fell asleep while the can was cooking away and woke up to my entire kitchen covered in caramel! Yikes! The water had boiled away and the can blew up--that is what woke me up! There was not one square inch of my entire kitchen that didn't have caramel on it. It dried faster then I could clean it and then it was all scrubbing--for days/weeks/years! Every once in awhile, years down the road I would find some of that caramel!! I never made that again!!
ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That reminds me of my exploding cake pan episode just a couple months ago. My hubby had been kind enough to make my a birthday cake, and as usual had used the glass cake pan. The next morning I had placed the pan on the back burner of the stove to get it out of the way as we were short on counter space. Well, then I proceeded to put on a small pot of water for my morning tea on the front burner, (on high heat), and walked away. The next thing I knew I smelled a faint burning smell quickly followed by a loud pop. The dog had been in the kitchen and she came running out. Looking in, there were glass shards and cake all over! Dummy me had turned on the wrong burner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 12:32 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,122,288 times
I took a baking class in high school and I often wondered if the teacher retired after that year. She had us pair up and my friend and I misread the recipe for baking bread so instead of the how ever many tsp of salt, we added cups and then we decided to add food coloring to make our bread pink. And once we were making yeast bread and we both unknowingly added baking powder (or soda I can't remember) and then used self rising flour. I have never seen such ooze. Amazingly enough we managed to pass the class.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:26 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,189,487 times
I was making a pot of chili for a party at the trolley museum where I did volunteer track work. This was one of the first times I used dry instead of canned beans. Short on time, I decided to add all the ingredients at once, and ignore the maxim that one does not add acidic items, like tomatoes, to uncooked beans or they will never get soft. I figured that anything could eventually be boiled into submission. I started the pot at home, and curiously, the beans were not softening But it was about 6 hours until party time, surely there was enough time for them to get done. I transferred the chili to my crock pot and took it to the museum and plugged it in. Then went to work on a track project in the yard. Somehow the story got around the folks there and from time to time, someone would wander down to the track work and announce "The beans are still hard" in order to enjoy the animated annoyed reaction they would get from a certain track worker In the end, the beans won, that chili did not get eaten, and I learned my lesson.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:04 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,186,749 times
Aw such memories.................... we had been married a few years when my in-laws agreed to come to our house for Thanksgiving dinner. My dear husband decided to help by mashing the potatoes while he drained off their water he drained off the "turkey stuff" cooking in the pot behind them. It was the broth I was making to cook the egg noodles. Always being a cook from scratch I didn't have any canned, boxed or jarred broth for backup. My MIL said they will be fine just cook them in salted water~~~needless to say they were not my famous noodles. I always can up homemade broth to keep on hand now.

More recent blunders is me letting pots boil dry because I forget something is on cooking. Boiled eggs was the last boo boo and it really stunk up the whole house. Gross. Ewwwwwwwwww.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:09 PM

349 posts, read 863,095 times
i burnt ramin noodles. in the microwave.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:35 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,223,229 times
I just made a whopper and not the Burger King kind...

On another thread, everyone's been posting about all the fudge they've been making. I made a few types of fudge for Thanksgiving and thought I was fudged-out, so I didn't make sure to have more of the necessary ingredients on hand. But reading all of those posts for the past few days... Well, you know.

Not being able to stand it any longer, I started rummaging through my supplies. NO BUTTER!!! Well, there goes 3/4 of my fudge recipes. I have one which doesn't call for butter, but needs peanut butter. NO PEANUT BUTTER, EITHER! Hmmmm... I had mini marshmallows....

I pulled choc chips, mini marshmallows and a can of sweetened condensed milk from the pantry. Rather than do the smart thing and look for a recipe on the web...

I placed the 12 oz of choc chips into a microwave safe dish. Then I added about 12 oz. of mini marshmallows. I set the nuke for 2 minutes, but realized something was seriously wrong when I glanced through the window and noticed the marshmallows had expanded to the point they were either going to overflow the very large dish I had put them in, or explode. I immediately stopped the microwave, (it was in there for about 1.5 min.), and frantically began stirring the mixture, trying to salvage it. It was so thick I could barely stir, so I added the can of sweetened condensed milk. I was able to stir it then, but I couldn't get rid of the thick, hard chunks which were once mini marshmallows.

Determined, I put the mess into a flat pan and in the fridge to set. There is no way I'll be able to serve this to anyone, but will try to eat some of it myself and not break any teeth. Maybe.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:48 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,186,749 times
How funny CheyDee! I can just picture those marshmallows swelling up! I still do stuff like that in a double boiler old habits die hard.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:13 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,309,354 times
Oh my CheyDee...you are a brave soul. I would have never had the guts to even try something like that. You definately have what it takes to be a great cook. Willing to try new things and go out on a limb. And still did not even give up after looking at those swelling marshmellows! Ha! Let us know how it turned out!??!

Old 12-18-2008, 06:35 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,849,768 times
When first married and trying to impress Mr. L I decided to make homemade french fries. All was fine til I put the wet fries in the hot oil. Voila-flames and a blackened ceiling.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:57 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,309,354 times
Poor lacey! Trying to burn the kitchen down?? Ha! I just might have done that on purpose as much as I did not like cooking at one point in my life! Ha! I am so happy you wern't burned. Bet it scared the living daylights out of you though!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink