U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 01:38 PM

4,538 posts, read 8,859,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Hmmmmmm...took a bath from my steel helmet...soup in one?...never heard or saw that one during my 5 yrs of service.
Here's one of my Dad's favorite Willy and Joe comics from WWII. Scoll down to "Run it up th' mountain agin, Joe. It ain't hot enough."

Bill Mauldin - Willy and Joe (http://www.stripes.com/02/nov02/mauldin/index.html - broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 05:05 PM

4,470 posts, read 7,665,835 times
Hell, I just put some coffee in the pot( my old blue type perc,cowboy style) and add water and let her rip...
BUT, I did get my wife one of those Gavalias coffee pots and they work real good.

Also, I like a "French Press"( now don't get all excited). Its a glass pot and you and the coffee and water and after a few minutes you push this press down and get like WOW coffee.
Starbucks whole bean and grind it yurself.

Also, the old famous coffee of the old west "ARBUCKLES"...IS REALLY GOOD.

I now add a little cream.

Happy trails cowhands,

HW

Old 12-27-2008, 08:48 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,128,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My husband tried to get me to stop washing the coffee pot. He told me that when he was in the Army, the coffee in the team room was the best and they just rinsed. I reminded him that Army guys do stuff like make soup in sweaty helmets. I'll bet that's tasty too.
Wash a coffee pot???? It ruins the taste of good coffee.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:05 PM

6,950 posts, read 21,087,126 times
Rejuvenating an old coffee thread.

Recently was at S & F (west coast) and found YUBAN in a Original Roast 2lb 12 oz can.

Coffee could not taste better. Also have the YUBAN instant that uses less for the same strength/taste per cup.

I hated the other brands of NEW blends that did not satisfy my taste buds.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:24 PM

12,969 posts, read 27,067,690 times
People get used to the oddest things. I am quite thoroughly convinced that if someone's mother made every pot of coffee with a tiny trace of detergent left in the pot, that child would grow up to go through life thinking that coffee made without that detergent taste in it was "missing something."

Coffee experts are universally agreed that percolators brew some of the worst coffee possible, making a thin, burnt, acrid and bitter tasting beverage compared to other coffee brewing methods, but they were the first "automatic" coffee makers, and they produce very hot coffee, which many people like. Give these people a much more balanced and fuller tasting but slightly cooler cup from a french press, the brewing method of choice for most professional coffee tasters, and the percolator fan will sigh and long for a "real" cup of coffee.

And about the only brew method worse for coffee than a percolator is those old blue enamel coffee pots in which coffee gets thoroughly boiled. They really do produce a "cup of mud."

Yuban was a premium coffee in its day... it was first sold in 1912 as Yuletide Banquet, referring to coffee roaster John Arbuckle's personal blend of special coffees for enjoyment on Christmas morning. And for a long time it was a better blend of coffee, but as a Kraft-owned brand it has gradually slipped into its current identity as an inexpensive and not terribly good blend of bulk South American coffees. And since then Starbucks and other premium coffee roasters have raised bar on what a good cup of coffee can be for the American public.

And of course instant coffees are optimized for convenience, not for taste, and yet people can get completely habituated to their taste in much the same way as the detergent laden pot does, to the point that they go through life thinking the taste of the instant coffee they drank back in college because it was the only kind of coffee they could make in their dorm room; or the percolator coffee they drank as newlyweds because somebody gave them a percolator for a wedding gift; or the nasty boiled coffee they made whilst horseback camping in the Rockies... in other words, the really not very good coffee they came to have a powerful sense-memory of and an emotional reaction to... that inherently lousy coffee from their past becomes to them the "best coffee in the world!"

You can see the same behavior in many other areas of life. Years ago I used to frequently see the same fellow having breakfast at Ships in LA. They had toasters on the tables and brought you bread so you could make your toast just the way you like it, "just like home." Over time i came to realize that he always double toasted his bread, and always burnt it. Once I was seated close enough to him to ask why he always burnt his toast, and he replied that it reminded him of home, because his mother always burnt it that way.

People get used to the oddest things.

P.S. I just remembered another funny experience... years ago, before the Starbucks experience changed American coffee habits, I attended an executive seminar in San Francisco, at which a deluxe coffee bar was offered to the attendees at breaks. In addition to espresso and cappuccino et al, they were pouring an expensive brewed coffee from one of the city's top roasters, a local favorite, which had just a touch of chicory in it, New Orleans style. I still vividly remember a delegate from New York angrily bellowing, for all to hear, "What's it take for a person to get a cup of REAL coffee around here, instead of this ****!?!"

I was hysterical.

Last edited by OpenD; 10-02-2012 at 06:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink