Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 08:04 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times

Advertisements

4. Use the good china sometimes. Hell, whip out that serving tray in the cupboard that hasn't seen the light of day and throw some chicken on there. WTF do you have plates for that you can't eat off of and enjoy.

I like paper plates...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 08:10 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
On the egg question.

I make no distinction between the ingredients for omelets OR scrambled eggs. The only real difference is that you don't add a filling to scrambled eggs, and you chop it up instead of letting it cook in a sheet. Sometimes I add milk, sometimes I don't. The only thing I see the milk doing is adding volume. I could use two eggs and a little milk to fully cover the pan, or three eggs. I don't think I do one more than the other, it's whatever I feel like doing that day.

French toast, on the other hand, generally requires milk--at least when I make them.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:11 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
4. Use the good china sometimes. Hell, whip out that serving tray in the cupboard that hasn't seen the light of day and throw some chicken on there. WTF do you have plates for that you can't eat off of and enjoy.
I know, we should. I have three sets of good china, and none has seen the light of day in years. My mother gave me one set for Christmas a few years ago, a set for six that she got for $30 at a church rummage sale. Lovely Noritake china with green and pink flowers. I also have my great-great-aunt's china (also Noritake) and my husband's grandmother's china. All lovely. And we never use it! Part of the reason is that I have nowhere to store it, so it's been in boxes in the basement since we moved here two years ago, and part of the reason is that I don't want it broken. My family china (my great-grandfather's older sister's china) is in perfect condition, an heirloom I want to pass down so my daughter or granddaughter can keep it unused in her cupboard too.

Maybe we'll break out the rummage sale china. It's very pretty but I'm not sentimental about it.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:33 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Doing so makes your fridge work harder, because the hot food will raise the temp in there. I think that's the reasoning behind it.
But if you leave it out on the counter, your AC will have to work just as hard to cool it. A hot dish is a hot dish, and it will cool by transferinng that heat to it's cooler surroundings.

Hot food contains more moisture, which will condense out and evaporate as it cools. Putting hot food right into the fridge traps that moisture, and can make the leftovers soggy. If you do leave it out to cool on the counter, leave it open to allow evaporation of moisture.

Condensation was also a factor in the old days, before there was plastic, because metal jar lids would rust.

In the days of the ice box, the objective was to put in another block of ice as infrequently as possible, so letting food room-cool saved ice. The modern fridge doesn't care, it'll just kick in a few minutes earlier and waste a penny or so. It cools on demand, without waiting for the ice man.

Quote:

When my mother moved from her house to a care facility, we sold her 50-year-old china, and got a really nice price for the set. But the two plates on top had been used quite a few times, and they were rejected by the buyer, because they had a lot of scrapes on the surfaces, from things like serrated knives. So if your china is in like-new condition, use it as sparingly as possible, to retain its value. Or rotate it, so no piece gets excessive wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post

Are you saying you don't have to refrigerate store bought mayonnaise after it's been opened?!?!?
Yes. There is some egg content in there, but it is very thoroughly processed, and there is so much vinegar and salt, it is a thoroughly pickled product. Pickling was invented because it is a food preservative, and pickled food lasts forever at room temperature.

I've eaten mayo that I found in my camping food stock that had been opened and at room temperature for a year. No problem, but it does thicken over time.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-14-2010 at 08:45 AM..

Old 09-14-2010, 08:35 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
But you have the choice of running your AC. We haven't had ours on in over a week. The fridge, on the other hand, is always on.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:48 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
I got a tip I really like from Cris Kimball on the Test Kitchen on Public TV - about a minute before your omlette is done add a tablespoon or more of butter cut into little cubes that you had in the freezer for 15 minutes. It makes it wonderfully fluffy.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:10 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I got a tip I really like from Cris Kimball on the Test Kitchen on Public TV - about a minute before your omlette is done add a tablespoon or more of butter cut into little cubes that you had in the freezer for 15 minutes. It makes it wonderfully fluffy.
Butter makes it better is no myth.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:31 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
Quote:
3. Buy the good mayo. And the good coffee. And the good orange juice. You only live once, and it's a small price to pay to have Hellman's instead of BONZOBARGAIN BRAND. Some things you can get away with while buying store brand. Some things, man...they just suck.
I actually strongly disagree with this. People who always have to have the name brand are fools. I'd say 75% of the time, the store brand is just as good or better. There are only a few name brands where I will ONLY buy that brand.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:39 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I actually strongly disagree with this. People who always have to have the name brand are fools. I'd say 75% of the time, the store brand is just as good or better. There are only a few name brands where I will ONLY buy that brand.
How many mayonnaise factories do you think there are? The cheap Bama and Blue Plate and the store brands are made in the same factory that makes Hellmans and Kraft, with different labels stuck on.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:26 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
How many mayonnaise factories do you think there are? The cheap Bama and Blue Plate and the store brands are made in the same factory that makes Hellmans and Kraft, with different labels stuck on.
Hey, there's a myth now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink